Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thecheese ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:03PM

I have a close friend who in the past has had questions about the LDS church. He is very bright and loves discussing it. The problem is he has come to peace with the claims made by the church by dismissing history. Most things we talk about are, in the end, dismissed with "Well we can not trust history." or " That is their version of what happen."

He puts everything on his feelings.

Anyone have any experience with people like this? Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:06PM

? this is 'new'?

as in: you/we can Trust what the (current) Official Version is, IF it has the SL Seal of Approval; any/everything else is wrong or at least suspect.

Got It.

Posted by: the cheese ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:37PM

I definitely do not think this is new. Just wondered how other people have dealt with it.

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:11PM

(1) Mormons who don't know their history
(2) Mormons who do - like your friend - and don't think it matters
(3) Mormons who do - and leave

I'm not sure what your question is. We've all dealt with them. Talk all you want, they usually cannot be convinced. Rationality has nothing to do with the thought process because the truth is the truth is the truth and only after death will "all be revealed".

Sorry I'm not more helpful. Anyone else have the magic get-through-their-thick-skull words?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:15PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:53PM

Yes, just like the Smithsonian dismissed the BoM as a valid ancient artifact. Class is over.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:15AM

Exactly: dismiss them.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:16PM

I get this all the time too. My TBM family tries to end all discussion like that.

It is more work for them mentally when they treat it like that because it will always be a huge life changing question in their mind of, "What if I am putting all this effort into an organization that is betraying and lying to me?"

A person can only live with that question for a given amount of time before their life creates a situation that demands closer inspection...when it is really going to be a pressing issue to have correct facts and understanding.

If their little TBM life keeps going down the PERFECT and very narrow minded TBM road then they may pull it off...but most of the people with a healthy and curious mind will want to figure it out.

If he wants to play the mind game of ignorance is bliss...then he will remain ignorant. Plenty of places to find correct information in the google age of the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 07:17PM by upsidedown.

Posted by: Loins of Fire ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:27PM

Sometimes the best route for these types is just stating the facts and leaving it at that. Refuse to argue or discuss the subject and move on. At some point this person will probably start thinking about the possibility that they are wrong.

Or they won't. Ever.

Arguing just makes them feel superior. They are WINNING! Just make your point and move on.

That's my 2 cents.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:41PM

Just plant the seed and move on. And then another, and another. Eventually something is going to sprout.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:49PM

If history is irrelevant, then....

The Book of Mormon, which claims to be historical, is irrelevant

The supposed great apostasy is irrelevant

The the first vision is irrelevant

The supposed past persecution of mormons is irrelevant

Haun's Mill is irrelevant

The Bible is irrelevant

Then it's ALL irrelevant.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:51PM

I have seen it IRL, on this board and with Mormons and it is extremely frustrating, but you can't make people accept something if they don't want to. I agree that you should give them the info and let it go.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:55PM

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, which is why every Sunday school class feels exactly like all the other boring Sunday school classes where you did not learn anything new. Same for sacrament meetings, priesthood and relief society.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:43PM

Yep - I experience this...I sort of agree with planting the seed.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:49PM

How do you deal with them?

You just don't.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 02:52AM

You mean like the entire TSCC, those people?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:08AM

It's pointless to engage people who put feelings and religious beliefs over facts in adult conversation. They can go sit at the kiddy table.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.