Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:53AM

Once upon a time, in 2008, in the great pacific NW, there lived a young housewife who was also Mr. ambivalentmo's little sister.

Said sister had issues with depression her entire life, much like me.
One day, when her dbag tbm asshole husband returned home from work...
Instead of finding the 5 course dinner he insisted on being ready each night,( as he required),
he found his wife sobbing on the kitchen floor holding a knife.
She was on the phone with me, I was trying to calm her down....

She was telling me she just wanted to be done.
With everything.

As soon as I knew he was home, I asked to speak with him.

I basically told him his wife was experiencing severe suicidal depression, and she needed to go to the hospital immediately.
He hemmed and hawed, and said his daddy, also a dbag, was on his way over to give her a blessing.

Uh, NO! I said. she needs to go to the hospital NOW , and if you don't promise to take her, I'm calling 911.
He agrees.

3 hours later I recieve a phone call from her.
She apologises for"becoming hysterical" and "being a burden".

I tell her no worries, I love you. And how was the hospital?
Was she admitted, or still waiting?
and get this.....
Dbag DID NOT take her to the hospital.
Instead, he used his holey priestcrafthood to give her a blessing,
and....
TO CAST OUT THE EVIL SPIRITS THAT WERE CAUSING HER DEPRESSION.

Yes, I am totally serious.
She went on to tell me that dbag had been "inspired" to cast out the demons instead of taking his wife to the emergency room.

And its a good thing too, she said, dbag would have had to pay a $150 deductible.

What.
The.
Fuck.

She felt so much better because she had been told in the blessing, that if her faith was strong enough, her depression would be healed.
Guess what?
One week later she tried to kill herself.

When I spoke with her yesterday, she finally told me thatshe felt like even more of a failure because obviously, she had"allowed" Satan to discourage her.
And that she hadn't been healed because she didnt have enough faith.
And that "knowledge" pushed her right over the edge.

I spoke with her yesterday, she has since divorced dbag, stabilized her depression with the help of a wonderful counselor,
and is starting a new life.
She knows my story, and made some interesting points.

The cult that is the morg,
will never, ever heall anyone , especially of mental illness or depression.
It can only make it worse.

I know this sounds disjointed, but I felt I needed to post this for the lurkers.

One cannot pray away severe clinical depression.
It is a physical, brain chemistry imbalance exacerbated by situational, familial, and environmental issues.
It's 2012.
Evil spirits do not, and never have, caused mental illness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:00AM

This kind of story makes me absolutely heartsick because there are so many people in Mormonism and in other extreme religious groups that do not get the help they need because they think they can pray their problems away. It never seems to occur to them that the answer to their prayers lie in the trained doctors at the hospital and the proper tests, medications and counselling. What if God sent help and the db husband of hers turned his back on God's help to rely on his own magical powers? But that never seems to occur to these types.

I'm so glad your little SIL got the help she deserved and escaped her prison to put her feet on a better path. People need to THINK. Faith without works is dead. Works come from trained help, not magical incantations. Everyone should read your story.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:02AM

I'm so glad she didn't succeed in her suicide attempt!!! And glad she woke up and left the db.

Praying away mental illness. Folks, this is Mormonism in 2012. And they want people to believe this is a mainstream religion. Sheesh.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:12AM

I'm glad your sister has you in her life. She may even do better by leaving the church at some point. I'm not as prone to depression now that I'm not active in the church or laboring under it's "Be ye therefore impossibly perfect" paradigm.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:14AM

I hope you have subsequently paid her ex a visit to... erm... Explain to him the error of his ways using non verbal methods...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.