Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Super Diaper Baby ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:15AM

Do you still have to cut out the masonic markings and burn them when disposing the garment these days or has that been toned down ? I've never made it to the endowment so I'm just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:26AM

Burning is probably preferable but not all homes have fireplaces or other safe places to light a flame, so I think the rules have evolved.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:27AM

I went through the endowment in 2011 (or 2010, I forget). No one mentioned anything aobut it.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:44AM

I threw mine out without any pomp and circumstance. Tossed 'em like I would a bag of trash, because they symbolized nothing for me any more.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:08AM

Cutting the marks out and cutting them into tiny, unrecognizable pieces was the option I was given in the '70's, along with burning. I did that instead of burning them. Now I would just toss, marks and all since they mean nothing to me anymore. I don't know if there has been a rule change since all the other changes came about.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:49AM

That was a really odd thing they requested.

I remember thinking - why? Are they embarrassed about the Masonic markings? It's obvious they are/were.

Posted by: Curiosity ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:51AM

Speaking of garments, from where can you buy them these days? I'm wondering if there is a place to get a pair from (new pair/not used)?

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:11AM

Mine also went intact, into the garbage.

Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:29AM

didn't bother cutting anything out. Just binned them. Sometimes I think of them flying around the local tip. Maybe one might be stuck in a tree. I smile and have a giggle.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:48AM

I used to cut out the marks and burn them. When I no longer believed, I threw them out with the dirty cat litter. It was as much respect as they deserved.

Susan

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:26AM

I was always told to cut the Masonic markings out, burn them (this was really recent), and then the remaining fabric could be cut into rags to use around the house, if I so desired.

While I have no use for the tops, they started making a comfortable sweat-wicking material garment when I went to the temple and I still use those bottoms when working out. They're pretty decent for that!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:31AM

I wouldn't know if they protect you from fires, car accidents, or muggings. I do know they don't protect you from Stupid.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:40AM

-Fueled by some high octane beverage. Followed by loud laughter and evil speaking.

Wicked exmoes....

Other than giggle burnings I don't think it happens much any more.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:27PM

My TBM DH cuts out the markings and throws them away, then uses the garments as rags.

Me, I just put them in the trash, marks and all.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 09:54AM

Yes you still supposed to chop up the markings into little pieces as well as cut the garmet up so you can't tell where the markings were-or you could burn them. Their logic is that they don't want them to end up in thrift stores or worn around in the streets as tshirts. After I read all that in the manual I was bummed out I just threw mine away instead of giving it to a thrift store. Let's circulate those garmies! Plus, getting rid of where the markings is kind of funny because who would wear a shirt with holes in the nipple areas of a shirt. It is like the fredericks of HOLYwood of garmies. Lastly I have said it before and I will say it again I think it is rude and cheap of the church to give hand me down garmies to ward members that can't afford them instead of just giving them new ones. (Check out the last paragraph from the handbook quote below)

From the Church Handbook 2010

Temple Clothing and Garments

Endowed members are encouraged to purchase their own temple clothing for use when performing temple ordinances. This sacred clothing may be purchased through Church Distribution Services. Some temples also have temple clothing available for rent. If a temple does not have rental clothing, members need to bring temple clothing with them.

Members may make their own temple aprons only if they use the approved apron embroidery and sewing kit that is available through Church Distribution Services. Other temple ceremonial clothing may not be made. Nor may temple garments be made.

Church members who have been clothed with the garment in a temple have taken upon themselves a covenant obligation to wear it according to the instructions given in the endowment. The garment provides a constant reminder of the covenants made in a temple. When properly worn, it provides protection against temptation and evil. Wearing the garment is also an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.

Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible.

Members should not adjust the garment or wear it contrary to instructions in order to accommodate different styles of clothing. Nor should they alter the garment from its authorized design. When two-piece garments are used, both pieces should always be worn.

The garment is sacred and should be treated with respect at all times. Garments should be kept off the floor. They should also be kept clean and mended. After garments are washed, they should not be hung in public areas to dry. Nor should they be displayed or exposed to the view of people who do not understand their significance.

Members who have made covenants in the temple should be guided by the Holy Spirit to answer for themselves personal questions about wearing the garment.

To dispose of worn-out temple garments, members should cut out and destroy the marks. Members then cut up the remaining fabric so it cannot be identified as a garment. Once the marks are removed, the fabric is not considered sacred.

To dispose of worn-out temple ceremonial clothing, members should destroy the clothing by cutting it up so the original use cannot be recognized.

"Members may give garments and temple clothing that are in good condition to other worthy endowed members. The bishop can identify those who might need such clothing. Under no circumstances should members give garments or temple ceremonial clothing to Deseret Industries, bishops’ storehouses, or charities." Church Handbook 2010

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:29AM

Interestingly you are supposed to cut out the three symbols on the top - try getting your wife to do this and then put the garment back on....

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:18AM

I've gotten very drunk while wearing garmies. They aren't at all effective against hangovers.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:46PM

The only proper way to dispose of garments is to throw them out of the car window while traveling on interstate 15 in Utah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.