Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 10:42PM

Here is what a sibling of mine wrote about the closing meeting of a future family reunion our family will be having. I certainly do have a testimony about Mormonism. However I'm pretty sure that none of my siblings will want to hear my real testimony. It just amazes me how all of my siblings have bought the fable hook, line and sinker. I'm the only one who sees it all for what it really is.

"Family Reunion’s wouldn’t be worth the effort if we weren’t counting on being together FOREVER! So, we will have a Forever Family Fireside/Testimony meeting Friday night before we have to say goodbye. Please come to the reunion having pepared a 2-3 minute spiritual “life’s lesson” from the past 2 years since we last met. How better to re-aquaint then to share how we have each grown!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 11:06PM

Yes YOU are not welcome at the family reunion. Only good, LDS testimonies will be accepted. Since you are not in line with the rest of the family then you are OUT.

As I've said here before, it's not a family-oriented church, it just wants church-oriented families.

Posted by: MollieNomore ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 11:15PM

I have never heard it said any better than that Baura. It really is NOT a family oriented Church. Thank you.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 08:54AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:01AM

Can't Mormons ever get together without making "church" out of everything? Casual talks about your last two yrs. are not allowed??? Only how Heavenly Father looked after you and guided you in every decision you made. Sounds like a real boring reunion.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:11AM

Memories... The testimony part of the family reunion. The look on my family's face when it got to be my turn. Priceless.

That was before I discovered RFM and learned all the dirt on the church. Lucky for them.

And Honestone, when you say, "sounds like a real boring reunion". you have no idea!

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:15AM

Alex... sounds like they want your testimony, my friend. 'Twould be quite rude not to share your feelings about the One True Church, don't you think?

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:30AM

I would use my time to give a testimony on the power of finding truth or living an authentic live etc... not "anti-Mormon" just not what they consider a real testimony.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:41AM

Ive had stuff like this at family reunions. Me and my family dd and DH plan a fun activity away from them and we leave. We have even gave an open invitation for people to join us. At some unrelated time and conversation we announce our plan and ask if anyone wants to join us. We had no intention of sneaking away quietly as if we were ashamed or embarrassed.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 12:53AM

alex71ut Wrote:
>
> "Family Reunion’s wouldn’t be worth the effort
> if we weren’t counting on being together
> FOREVER!

Are. You. Serious? So the other 99 percent of humanity who don't have a "forever family" by Mormon standards are wasting their time with family reunions? Or do they mean to say they wouldn't waste time with you people if they weren't going to be stuck with you forever. What does "wouldn't be worth the effort" mean exactly?

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 01:07AM

Alex, sounds like your TBM family and mine should get together and you and I should go have a drink!

It's going to be reunion time this summer for us as well. I'm already trying to figure out how to handle it.

Date: June 12, 2012 01:12AM

I keep fantasizing about sticking around for the testimony part, and saying something like this, in response to our sibling's requests:

"The last two years have been phenomenal. Interesting reading, exploring, visiting galleries, going to concerts, movies with my kids - usually on Sundays--stuff we didn't have time to do before when we were in church half the day! We are growing so much closer and deeper as a family."

Now, what would they do about that?????

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 01:15AM

Have your PowerPoint presentation ready to go with all of the concerns of TSCC. It might be a long meeting, but in the end their testimonies may have changed in ways they never anticipated!

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 01:53AM

a family reunion is suppose to be happy, this does not sound happy at all. I would be miserable, yuk!!!

Posted by: peter ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 02:02AM

That doesn't even make any sense! If you're going to be together forever, what's the point in having a family reunion in the first place?!

Posted by: libertad ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 02:04AM

I haven't been to my family reunion for about 6 years.

Why bother? It's an 8 hour drive to play water balloons in a church parking lot and hang out with dorks in knee shorts and spaghetti straps with full on hanes his way t shirts underneath.
San Diego is closer and so is Vegas.

We don't have a testimony meeting. If we did I might show up, that would be so interesting to watch them squirm. My family is very hostile about me leaving, ALOT has happened.

Date: June 12, 2012 08:49AM

I told one of my nevermo friends the whole story of my leaving Mormonism and why. She was shocked at first, then I explained how my family has rejected me for having left.

She said: "Tell them why. I would."

I said I wasn't sure they wanted to hear why I left. She said "I'd make them listen..."

Maybe my friend was right. I've often wondered if I had gone ahead with detailed info, but presented in kind and loving way, if I might have an Exmo sibiling today.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 08:59AM

My daughter went back to the lds some years ago and I tried to tell her--she was angry for a long time.

But--I was the devout cousin in the family. I was the one my parents never thought would leave mormonism. I didn't bear my testimony at family reunions--as I wasn't one to bear my testimony EVER. I thought it was very personal. Now all my cousins who sowed wild oats for years and years--get up at family reunions and bear their testimonies and I sit there and think "What a bunch of bullshit!" It is BEYOND ridiculous to see these repentant sinners. I quit going after the last one some years ago. Just as an example--one cousin has been married 6 times. At age 62, he went through the temple with his current wife. I guess he is a prime example of "it is never too late."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.