Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 03:33PM

If (R)money weren't running for office, would anyone question it when the media publishes a piece not so positive about mormonism? (well, anyone outside of COB and the Morg front.)

So why is free speech suddenly at issue because he's running? I thought the point of free speech was particularly aimed at criticizing politicians.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 03:40PM

And running for the president of the united states is not like any other job. I think it fair to know if the person we are putting at the head of the largest arsenal in the world is hearing voices in his head claiming to be God. I think it fair to know if a person we are going to trust with the power to wipe out every human on earth will be loyal to the office or loyal to someone in Salt Lake City.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 05:32PM

George W Bush claimed to hear voices in his head that was God speaking to him, and see what catastrophe that caused. Too many people took his claims to be evidence of his born-again christianity rather than a delusional mental disorder.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 04:02AM

I agree MJ and mav.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 04:03AM by honestone.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 04:17AM

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 04:00PM

People have a right to know just how intrusive the church is going to be in his decision making. Daily calls from the quorum of the twelve? Are they aware of what he's promised in the temple as far as consecrating everything he has to the church? They need to be aware of who they are really electing.

Posted by: neveragain82 ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 12:48AM

He is very good at lying and evading questions.
http://gulagbound.com/28403/cataloging-mitt-romneys-lies-does-it-matter-anymore/
Even if he is asked it will not matter, he will just lie. It seems to be second nature to him. I guess to believe that the church is true you must do a little fudging. I know my parents do.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 05:39PM

His handlers dont think we should talk about any of his soft spots.

It reminds me of TBMs telling everyone that you can't criticize baptism for the dead or their underwear. Too sacred.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 03:34AM

Has Mittens officially stated the his oath of office for POTUS will come BEFORE the oaths he made in the temple? Let's be honest, JFK may have been a Catholic but he wasn't a priest or a cardinal and his ancestors were never pope.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 05:43AM

Of course it's not "right(eous)" to critize anything if it's against TSCC.

Just like common sense, freedom of speech amounts to nothing in the face of "so-called-truth" or TSCC.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 07:15AM

If someone is running for president no topic should be off-limits or taboo. Seems like religion is treated as sex once was. It was not talked about, and everyone just hoped everything would turn out okay.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 03:25PM

I ask the people who think Mitt's religion should be off base if they'd feel that way if he was a member of Heaven's Gate or The People's Temple. They don't.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 03:28PM

I don't think Romney's religious associations should disqualify him from being president. However, the teachings and beliefs of his religion are fair game, and it is up to Romney to show how dedicated or lax he is on the various articles of faith.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 05:12PM

But it's a republican, so that's different.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 05:14PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.