Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bookworm ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 09:54PM

I haven't posted in a long time. But today something happened that reminded me how rude, hurtful and oblivious to outside world Mormons can be. A friend of mine was tragically killed this week. A husband and father to young kids. I haven't seen him in the 20 yrs since high school but reconnected on Facebook. We were in the same ward growing up and he moved away after high school.

This one lady that I grew up with as well posted a link to his obituary on her wall and tagged a bunch of this man's friends that knew him from before. Then this lady starts questioning why his funeral is in a baptist church and not a Mormon church. She throws a question out if anyone knows whether or not he was "active". Then she quips with "well he's active now."

I was extremely angry at her insensitivity and superior attitude. I sent her a private message telling her what I thought and also telling her how careless and thoughtless her comments were. I also told her that this man's widow is likely to see her post since she will probably have access to her husbands FB account and he was tagged in the comments.
She replied back that she didn't realize that was insensitive but will delete it anyway.

Of course she doesn't see it as insensitive because she lives in a bubble and thinks she owes it to the world to bring them the truth! ugh!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrwinternight ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 09:59PM

That wasn't cool of her.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 10:09PM

Sometimes my understanding of intelligence in hunans is challenged. Perhaps belonging to a cult can actually force a drop in IQ. It's difficult to attribute all of the idiocy of the Mormon people to culture alone.

Is she inbred?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 10:10PM by ozpoof.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 10:11PM

I'm sorry for your loss. And I'm sorry you have to deal with insensitive assholes on Facebook, too.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 12:35PM

Another valid reason to have a "CALL IN AN AIRSTRIKE" button on your keyboard....IMHO...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 02:02PM

I'm sorry for your loss, and for having to deal with assholes on Facebook.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 02:04PM

Mormons are often like a bunch of sports fans at a local bar discussing the home-town team. They'll smile and laugh and, between sips of their beers, comment on how great their team is and on how pitiful other teams are.

Mormons who live in high-density-Mormon areas are just like such sports fan. They tend to think that their "local bar" is the universe and that everyone knows their team is the best (they only lose due to bad calls by the evil refs).

This person's comments would be appropriate foyer gossip at the ward, but to post it on FB shows a VERY narrow mind.

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 06:53PM

They really are completely oblivious to the world outside of Mormonism. It's a little pathetic

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 07:21PM

Sorry for the loss of your friend. So awful when young kids are left behind.

Even when people are active, you get the most insensitive comments from Mormons. They're just not wired for sensitivity. One of the only BYU professors I had much respect for once talked about losing his young son to leukemia. He was trying to get through to people what it is like to actually be grieving, especially when people lose children. He said that at the viewing, person after person would come up to him and say things like "he's in a better place," or "he'll be a great missionary in heaven," or "aren't you glad he's with his grandmother now."

This professor said, "No, I wasn't glad he was gone. I wanted him here with me. I wanted him well. I wanted him to serve the kind of mission we had hoped for when he was born, I wanted to play ball with him and watch him grow up and all I wanted was for people to say, "I'm so sorry, you are in my thoughts." He said that finally a kid who had grown up in his ward but went inactive in high school, was kind of a punker, had tatoos, was wearing a black leather jacket, but someone he'd once been close to and been deacon quorum advisor to, came through the line. This kid just stood and looked at him, trying to hold back tears and punched him in the arm and said, "tough beans."

I remember everyone in the class laughing and I was wondering if anyone had just gotten the point of that story--that this kid was the one who had said something that gave him some comfort. It affected me a lot and has to this day been something I think of when people are grieving. But through the years I've just seen it time after time--how mormons have to deal with it through denial. They have to comment about someone's faithfulness or lack thereof, because they can't just be present for someone and extend sympathy.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 08:18PM

what a bitch

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 08:41PM

It reminds me of my parents. Someone would die, and they'd say: "smoker."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.