Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 12:55AM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=20856862

Is this article really in line with what LDSCorp. teaches its members nowadays? Does KSL have a more liberal editorial policy than its owners?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: partymxman ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 02:04PM

I just read this booklet, "Supportive Families, Healthy Children." It's great!

Caitlin Ryan of San Francisco State University and Robert Rees, a former Latter-day Saint Bishop who has counseled with gay Latter-day Saint youth wrote the booklet.

http://familyproject.sfsu.edu/files/English_Final_Print_Version_Last.pdf

It expresses repetitively the importance of love and support for a person of the GLBT community. And how the lack of love and support hurts.

It lets parents know they cannot make their children GLBT or change them from being whom they are.

It explains the difference types of sexuality. It explains what GLBT means. It also gives resources for people to go to.

Now if the Mormons will embrace and utilize this information. Gosh, even if they do it quietly, as long as they do it - love and support the GLBT persons.

Yeah!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 02:17PM by partymxman.

Date: June 18, 2012 02:15PM

The booklet doesn't use the word tolerate, it says families need to accept, love and support ... help them thrive ... introduce them to others and such.

It gives PFLAG as a main resource.

Date: June 18, 2012 02:22PM

There was a topic on that very BYU group you're referring to SL Cabbie.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,531206

:)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 02:29PM

If you'll take those shades off, you'll note I commented on that thread...

Unlike you, I pay attention to where I'm driving, which is why I'm honking my horn loudly as you stagger in front of the ol' police interceptor...

Date: June 18, 2012 03:11PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you'll take those shades off, you'll note I
> commented on that thread...
>
> Unlike you, I pay attention to where I'm driving,
> which is why I'm honking my horn loudly as you
> stagger in front of the ol' police interceptor...

I saw that you posted there. I thought that was funny about the heartburn thing.

I understood this thread was about a booklet that is actually trying to help the GLBT, which I did read a few minutes ago myself.

Your comment seemed to be still referring to things that are working against the GLBT community which didn't seem to go with this thread.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Date: June 18, 2012 03:40PM

Thank you for clarifying hello. I'm glad that "the Family Acceptance Project" produced the new publication. I went to their website too.

Caitlin Ryan developed the Family Acceptance Project with Rafael Diaz in 2002 to promote family support, decrease risk and improve well-being for LGBT youth. But she's been working with GLBT/LGBT youths since the 70's.

They are based at San Francisco State University. I hope they can get through to the Mormon parents and help stop all the suicides of the poor youths.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 04:45PM

Out of curiosity, am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that their acronym (Family Acceptance Project) is FAP? :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 02:09PM

tolerance ? what does that mean ? gays will now be "tolerated" ?

Date: June 18, 2012 02:11PM

Date: June 18, 2012 02:51PM

Sorry, "tolerance" is my choice of word. Sorry it's not the right word! :(

I haven't read the pamphlet. Thanks to those who are reporting accurately. I guess I sgould have said, " booklet promotes love".

I have thought that TSCC's teachings in this area were not very tolerant in the past. I suppose I'm surprised LDSCorp. would promote love among its members for LGBT folks. I've heard a lot of horror stories on the board about mistreatments from tbm's. I'm glad to see positive change.

I wonder if KSL has a more liberal editorial policy than some GA's might wish to see?

Date: June 18, 2012 02:09PM

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=19888052&s_cid=article-related-1

>Just three years prior, the university changed the code allowing homosexual students to openly state their sexual orientation without fear of expulsion.

I'm seriously wondering if they checked with #47 East South Temple before they ran this one..

>Some knew as early as the fifth grade, others didn't know until they started dating and "died a little on the inside" whenever they had to kiss their boyfriend.

Ah, back to the same old patronizing crap (not to mention using the equivalent of the "n-word" in describing homosexuality as "same sex attraction").

>The LDS Church and BYU have repeatedly stated that members who struggle with same-gender attraction can still hold callings and attend the school without repercussion, so long as they are not acting on those feelings.

So if two members of the same sex are holding hands, is that "acting on those feelings"?

Assholes... Re-writing history as fast as they can...

Praise the Lard and pass the Etch-a-Sketch...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 02:12PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:00PM

but the article I read yesterday said something about they are still not allowed to "act on those feelings" and that marriage is for a man and a woman.

This isn't any progress whatsoever. Like I think flyboy said on another thread--it is the same message--they just used different terminology.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:59PM

It even contradicts itself. At one point it talks about not allowing behavior that is not acceptable (without rejecting the child) in another it says support the child's gender expressions. HELLLLOOOOO, Gender expressions my well be one of the behaviors that LDS families would find unexceptionable.

They change the advice from the regular to the LDS version as well. Why is good advice for the rest of the world not good advice for the LDS?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 11:32PM by MJ.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:27PM

We love you--as long as you know your place. Hmmmm Where have I heard that before?

We love you as long as you do not give or receive real love but deny to the core everything you are inside. We love you as long as you squelch your dreams.

We love you as long as you stay away from our youth.

Aren't we just magnanimous and the very epitome of love??

And we really love it when you marry someone you don't love in the temple and who makes you throw up in your mouth when you make love (if you can't think of anybody) and then you tell the world you are divinely happy. We love that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:42PM

"We love you--as long as you know your place" .... translation : we love you as long as you do not show people who you truly are. In other words ..STFU !

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 05:48PM

The one that partymxman linked to is not the LDS version of the booklet. The LDS version of the booklet intersperses comments from Mormon general authorities and the BoM. Here are a few gems:

"Supporting your LGBT child does not mean that parents and other family members must accept behaviors that they consider inappropriate or against their family’s standards; what it does mean is that children who engage in behavior or express an identity that is not approved by the family still need love and acceptance, still need to feel that they are a part of the family, and still need a positive sense of self and hope for the future. As with any behaviors that parents find INAPPROPRIATE or UNACCEPTABLE, care should be taken not to send rejecting messages to the child or young person himself. As Elder Dallin Oaks has said, “Surely we are counseled as a body of Church membership to reach out with love and understanding to those ‘struggling with these issues [same-gender attraction].’" (page 5) [emphasis mine]

"Even children who go against their parents’ advice need love and understanding, and need to feel that they are part of the family."

"That is, children from families where parents and other family members don’t reject or react punitively to their child’s identity, don’t send negative messages to that child or his LGBT friends, and don’t allow anti-gay sentiments to be expressed in the home are much more likely to avoid risky and self-destructive behaviors..." (page 6)

"Because parents see these behaviors as loving or caring, they are often surprised and even shocked to learn that their gay children experience these reactions as rejection or abuse. Young people feel that by rejecting their core identity, their parents are rejecting them." (page 8)

At this point, I don't think FAP understands how the LDS church treats homosexuals. Saying "we love you but you cannot act authentically" is rejection and should these young people act authentically, their parents and the Mormon community in which they belong will react punitively to that child's identity. The culture is against it, the religion is against it.

What's especially disingenuous is how they weasel out of advocating that parents support their child's desire to engage in "inappropriate" or "unacceptable" behavior. Or, in other words, actually having a romantic connection with the same sex.

“All should understand that persons [and their family members] STRUGGLING with the BURDEN of same-sex attraction are in special need of the love and encouragement that is a clear responsibility of Church members, who have signified by covenant their willingness ‘to bear one another’s burdens’ (Mosiah 18:8) and so ‘fulfill the law of Christ’ (Gal. 6:2)” (Same Gender Attraction).9" (page 20) [emphasis mine]

“When our actions or words discourage someone from taking full advantage of Church membership, we fail them—and the Lord. The Church is made stronger as we include every member and strengthen one another in service and love.”
—Elder Jeffrey R. Holland" (page 20)

All this really is, as many posters here have pointed out, is a redefining of what it means to "accept" homosexuality in the LDS church. They are slowly adopting the position that homosexuality is not a choice and that people are indeed born either heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual. There is a big difference between this and TSCC actually accepting homosexuals, and that difference is pretty well defined by the little red flags throughout the text. Perhaps the most difficult red flag to perceive is one that is absent; there is no discussion about parents allowing their children to have relationships with people they are attracted to. None. No advocacy and no overt proscriptions. It's all about accepting your child as gay or transgendered. Recognize that they cannot help who they are, and let them have LGBT friends. The more obvious red flags are the quotes from LDS literature about accepting those who "struggle" with the "burden" of homosexuality.

TSCC is only trying to retain their homosexual members. That aim is clearly defined by FAP's use of the quote from Jeff Holland. We accept you, we love you and want to help you foster an LGBT identity, but our acceptance comes with a stipulation; that you not act on your attractions to the same sex.

I think FAP is being incredibly irresponsible by publishing such a booklet. All this does is redefine the subjugation and abuse of homosexuals in the LDS church. Rather than abusing them with fists, harsh words, withdrawal of all support, or electrodes, we're going to put on the velvet gloves and trick them into devoting their lives and 10% of their income to the Church. See? We really love them.

In fact, I'm starting to think that homosexuality is going to be the new "masturbation sin" in the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 05:48PM by Strykary.

Date: June 18, 2012 05:57PM

Thanks, Strikary, your post goes a long way to helping me, as an "outside observer" (I don't get out much, and live far from the Morridor), understand exactly what is happening with this.

Date: June 18, 2012 07:04PM

Thanks for the information Strikary. Oh man, I didn't realize there were two versions of the booklet. I'm so pissed at the Mormon church all over again.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 05:56PM

FYI, see my thread regarding the Huff Post.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 12:05AM

There is a term for it which I forget and cannot find, but...

If someone smiles while they are attacking you, rather than looking, say, menacing, the effect of the atrocity is much more severe and scarring. The power of the Joker.

This is very much what is at play here with the mormons and their supposed love for homosexuals. It is much more insidious to have your attacker smile as he puts the knife in.

The mormons do not care about family. The mormons especially do not care about gay family. The love they show is for show.

"See, it's not us. We're loving. " The equivalent of a smile as the knife goes in deeper. As you are cut from the core of the family. As you are pushed to the outside to look in. As you are forced to accept scraps--given lovingly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.