Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ddub50 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:29PM

I am in the process of resigning from the LDS Church. I divorced years ago, but was still technically "sealed". When the resignation is effective, does the sealing become void?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:30PM

It doesn't matter - it's all bogus anyway. None of it is real.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:30PM

NO

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:42PM

Worst of all possible worlds, of course. All your temple blessings are voided, but you are still "sealed" together. If you're a woman, you're basically his property for eternity, unless he changes his mind.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:44PM

Were sealings ever valid in the first place? Only by belief, I think, anyhow.

Posted by: ddub50 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:49PM

I understand the "sealings" aren't real. Just curious if they still will consider them valid.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:51PM

I think it actually depends on if you are a man or a woman. If you are a man, then they could be void, but if you are a woman, the church does not consider the sealing ever broken, until such a time as the man sends in a letter renouncing his ownership of you. I could be confused about the first part though.

Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:51PM

does that mean that I'm not really married??

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:59PM

of course not... you have a marriage certificate yes?

The rights and legal protections are granted by the state, not church.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:52PM

The sealers have legal power to marry people - that is established. It's the whole sealing part that is bogus - they make promises they don't have the authority to make and put people under covenant for made-up issues that force people into a lifetime of servitude and poverty.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:54PM

This is actually a problem for me. My wife doesn't want me to do anything that might get me excommunicated, because then my temple ordinances would be void, including our sealing. This means the church has the power to nullify my marriage (not legally, but in her eyes for all intents and purposes).

Of course, I've gone over with her the doctrinal backing supporting the fact that she's stuck with me forever no matter what I do besides murder, but she's still afraid that excommunication might also erase that. Kind of funny, that I might gain eternal exaltation with thrones, dominions and principalities without having an effective baptism. I don't think her cognitive dissonance fully accepts that possibility.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:02PM

If she tries to be sealed to someone else, she'll find out she was wrong. She will still be considered sealed to you. The only way that can be undone is a big long process. She has to have another man on the end of the line that she wants to married and sealed to. They won't undo a sealing just because someone wants it, or got a divorce.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:56PM

That's seems to be the only thing that doesn't get "dissolved" when you resign. The same holds true for excommunication. Sealings are "permanent" and nothing can break them, except an approved priesthood holder signing a paper for a temple divorce.

For those that say, it doesn't matter... There are plenty of cases where it does. It can still be used as a power play by ex-spouses that are still TBM. It can also be a painful reminder when someone who left the church gets a letter asking their "permission" to dissolve a marriage.

I don't think anyone here would argue that just because the church isn't true, or "real" that it can't do damage. Please don't belittle other people's pain by dismissing it just because you're in a different place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 04:58PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 04:57PM

My understanding is that sealings are considdered suspended by the church in the situation you are refering to. Basically the believing spouse and/or kids are no longer sealed to you but they arent not sealed to you, they are sealed to Priesthood holder or sister X, untill what they believe to be the impending judgement day at which time they will be given to the new head of thier household,or assigned a consolation wife/mother, provided they lived life as worthy little mobots.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:09PM

And you can't even go to court to make them take it back, because, well, the court doesn't believe in unicorns.

Neither should you. Move along, nothing to see here.

Posted by: hk112358 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:08PM

No. They all void before since the authority to seal is void ab initio.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.