Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Java's Mom ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 08:30PM

I saw the comment below this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PIWFht3RpQ

Is this true??
Can anyone substanciate(sp) this???

"Did you hear the new Church policy? Now members can be baptized for their loved ones while their loves ones are still alive so the work is already prepared when they die."

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 24, 2012 09:22PM

Posted by: jhon ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 11:49AM

Posted by: spoontrex ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:22PM

Not true. It's just someone mocking mormons.

Date: March 24, 2012 09:24PM

Whew!! Thank you!!

Posted by: spoontrex ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:30PM

No, really, after the scandal that happened after baptizing in all the Jews that died at the hands of Nazis, do you think they'd dare try this now? Especially while Mr. Boring is running for President? ;)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:35PM

It's kinda funny though.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:42PM

It is funny. Can you imagine getting a baptism certificate in the mail, inclosed with a bill, letting you know that you were baptized 6 months prior and you are now past due on your tithing for the previous 6 months??

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:39PM

That's just a joke. I could be wrong about this, and maybe some of the legal folk here can correct me, but I believe this would be illegal. People own their names (as it is attached to the individual),likeness when they are alive, and have full authority over their identity and its use (with some specific exceptions for various types high profile individuals, newsmakers, etc). After an individual dies, rights to their name and likeness, and other aspects of their identity, belong to their estate for a year (I believe the estate can claim an extension on this, perhaps trademarks would need to be filed, I'm really not sure about the specifics). It's probably not coincidental that rights become public by default after a year AND the "official" policy for proxy baptisms is that only names for people dead at least one year can be submitted.

Anyway, long story short, nobody can convert a person by proxy, or without permission, while they are alive.

I guess I should specify that these are US laws. Who knows what kinds of policies they might be cooking up for lawless countries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.