Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:35AM

I heard they are banned at BYU as well...? I could be wrong

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:39AM

I don't think they're "banned" at church. They're discouraged because they're too casual for the "Sunday Best" standard of church, but when women are wearing denim skirts and plain old t-shirts, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

They are against the dress code to wear in class and to campus events at BYU-Idaho, I don't know about BYU.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:41AM

BTW, upon doing research, I have discovered that the term flip flop was originally a racial slur for a Filipino person. Since I generally like Filipinos does anyone know a more PC term to describe the sandals?

Posted by: SerendipityHappens ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:49AM

We always called them thongs going up in the 70s

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:51AM

Yeah, but DON'T call them thongs! The kids will laugh their heads off. I made that mistake....once.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:55AM

Another thing in Mormon discourse that would be of vital interest to The Saviour, huh. I can see him now, long hair, sandals and robe, glaring down at those pink flip-flops and extra earrings! What are we thinking! Any worthy person should KNOW BY THE SPIRIT that God pays close attention to your shoes!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 01:08AM

The bishop would take Jesus aside and give him a big lecture on proper dress and grooming.

Posted by: Wandering Sheep ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:45PM

I would just love to see Jesus getting a talking to by the bishop.

Date: June 26, 2012 01:01AM

And if you do it more than once, it's just for kicks and giggles knowing you're making them uncomfortable.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:50AM

You can call them thongs. Haha. Nowadays people might wonder which one you are talking about. My BIL is Filipino and he calls them flip flops.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:42AM

I always pretended like I didn't get that memo. Nobody ever said anything to me.

Of course, my flip flops aren't just everyday flip flops. I have a thing for beautiful shoes.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:55AM

Mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always pretended like I didn't get that memo.
> Nobody ever said anything to me.
>
> Of course, my flip flops aren't just everyday flip
> flops. I have a thing for beautiful shoes.

They won't say a thing to you . . . but they will to each other.

Date: June 26, 2012 12:58AM

Like I care. If they have nothing to talk about but my shoes they really really need to get a life.

Date: June 26, 2012 01:00AM

Like maybe the teachings of Jesus such as the Golden Rule and loving God and each other.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:59AM

"Mormons have many wonderful buildings all around the world where the membership meets once a week to compare clothing."

Date: June 26, 2012 12:45AM

I can't remember where it came from, but I've heard repeated around "if you'd wear it to the beach, you shouldn't wear it to church."

Date: June 26, 2012 12:54AM

If how you dress effects how you act, why is it that there is such a big problem with reverence in LDS churches where kids and adults are dressed in Sunday best-girls in modest dresses, women in panty hose and men and boys i n suits and ties.Yet, I can go to a Catholic church filled with people in shorts, jeans, flip flops, minis, tanks etc and everyone is quiet and children are well behaved.Just asking.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 08:00PM

Kids in Catholic church are MUCH better behaved. I was raised Catholic, and was shocked at the behavior I see at LDS churches, and that the parents allow it. That NEVER would have been allowed when I was growing up (though I wore jeans most Sundays, and that was cool.)

Date: June 26, 2012 08:02PM

Was this the kind of good behavior that comes from understanding and internalizing the need for respectful behavior, or the kind that comes from the ever-present threat of being on the wrong end of Dad/Mom's punishments if they act up?

Date: June 26, 2012 08:13PM

It is parents expecting kids to behave. It can work wonders.Some may use harsh discipline, but not all. A little fear of parents isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as the parents are not harsh..

Date: June 26, 2012 08:03PM

I have been to Easter services in a cathedral and there many more kids than in the Mormon church and it was quiet. If a baby cried, the parents took him out and kids stayed in their seats and behaved. The Mormon excuse is that in other churches the kids are in a nursery. Uh, not always. Many are in the services and behaving.

Date: June 26, 2012 12:48AM

It really depends on the the flip flops. Some are very dressy and suitable for a dressy occasion. Some cheap rubber or plastic ones are not made to wear with a nice dress.I really think it ruins the look to dress up and then slip on a pair of rubber sandals that you bought at the dollar store. However, this is not in any way a moral issue so maybe the church should mind their own business and let people dress the way the like.One of my biggest objections to the church was the control. They wanted to dictate everything and this was back in the 60s when they hadn't yet made a big deal of tats, piercings and approriate shoes.

Date: June 26, 2012 01:00AM

In about 1973 my sister was told she was going to hell because she bought (hadn't even worn yet) a pair of hiking boots.

Date: June 26, 2012 01:04AM

I was out by then, but no ward I attended would have cared about that although some people would have thought they were inapproriate with a dress which they are, but going to hell? Geesh!

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 12:14PM

Oh yeah, I had roommates at BYU who would chastise me for wearing flip flops (nice ones) or any kind of denim to church.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 01:26PM

I wear my leather A&F flip flops for mandatory sac. meeting attendance in all but the worst weather. I always say "If they were good enough for Jesus, they're good enough for me." I hate wearing shoes -- Jesus sneakers are far more comfortable.

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 02:00PM

I've never understood why God considers wearing clunky heeled shoes that look like they are from the 1800s (that I see some TBM females wear) to be more honoring to him (or less disrespectul) than a fancy pair of flip-flops.

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: June 26, 2012 07:56PM

A related question? How come in the temple we are told to take off our slippers but keep on our socks? Did Moses wear socks? Did the High Priest wear socks when going into the Holy of Holies? I'm confused.

Zoris anyone? How about go-aheads. Mom called them that because it was so easy to step out of them and just go ahead.

Date: June 26, 2012 07:59PM

Oh, yes, you reminded me... are nylons/socks actually required as part of temple wear for women, or are bare feet totally fine?

Can you imagine how long it would take if people were messing around with socks too and not just shoes?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.