Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chilango ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:11AM

That would be great

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:13AM

They like to settle out of court so they can get those who brought suit against them to sign non-disclosure agreements. That way al their crimes and misdemeanors stay SACRED.

Date: June 29, 2012 11:56AM

But I mean is it possible that, under some circumstances, somebody sues the church and makes it do some well-deserved thing?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:58AM

One thing Mormons Inc. has is A LOT of money to pay lawyers with...

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:59AM

That's exactly what Norman Hancock did. God bless that man. It was settled out of court, but now the Church can no longer "excommunicate" you when you ask to have your name removed. No religious organization can.

Date: June 29, 2012 12:03PM

Didn't know about that dude. Wouldn't it be great to do things like this little by little and to limit church's power?

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 07:44PM

That's my dream, man! I'd love to see it happen!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:07PM

Yes, and I haven't heard any disclaimers that say "Absolutely no tithing money is used to pay our high-priced corporate defense attorneys and out-of-court settlements"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 12:07PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:00PM

if enough people came forward a class action suit might attract some pretty good lawyers though.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:49PM

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:55PM

They get sued all the time. They have a huge contingent of lawyers. One of the main subjects in the "secret" portion of the church handbook is how bishops should deal with any legal threats - which is basically do nothing and turn it over to legal - exactly the same thing any big corporation would instruct you to do.

An interesting question is what percentage of tithing funds are used to hire lawyers?

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:04PM

I just finished reading "An American Fraud: One Lawyer's Case Against Mormonism" which I had downloaded free. It's goes into some of the suits - more into the potential for suits. Someone here had posted about the free download a week or so ago.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:32PM

Wouldn't you just love to know how many times they've been sued for sex abuse, and how much they've paid out?

I'm sure that info would be extremely damaging to the church.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 07:41PM

The big child abuse against the Boy Scouts in Portland originally named tscc, but they settled out of court, leaving the Boy Scouts to deal with it, which they still are.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 09:26PM

I would love to see legislation put in place where a church should lose its tax-exempt status if it does not give a full accounting of tithing to its members or has been found donating any of said money towards things of a political nature, like prop. 8 or lets just say super PACs....in the interest of separating church and state.

Date: June 29, 2012 11:16PM

They have donated money to political deals. They shouldn't be tax-exempt

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.