Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrwinternight ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:18AM

Have you heard of the Gerson Therapy? I just watched a documentary called "Food Matters." The Gerson Therapy a high nutrition program that is mentioned in this show for helping cancer patients.

It had a lot of good information on food and treating different other ailments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:11AM

I watched the movie/documentary and read one of their books. Charlotte Gerson is very popular on the "Let thy food be thy medicine" circuit.

I have a really nice masticating juicer and I drink some fresh juice at least once a day.
http://freshstartjuicers.com/masticating-juicer.html

I just started a few months ago, so I can't testify to any major changes in my health, but I do feel great when I have some juice.

T-Bone

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 05:28AM

No masticating for me--I like the pulp-pulp-pulp in my juice-juice-juice. Fiber is good for your intestines, and it helps control blood-sugar levels. We have a fruit smoothie almost every day. My grandkids beg for them.

I have celiac disease, so food REALLY matters to me. Strangely enough, after being on the gluten-free diet for several years, other health problems have cleared up, as well. I think it is because all junk food has gluten, and restaurant food is usually contaminated with gluten, so I eat only the healthy food that I make myself. Sometimes we learn by accident, like I did. Or the hard way, like people who have a heart attack or other wake-up call. I tore up all of my Mormon recipes, like funeral potatoes, creamy mac & cheese, fried chicken, jello "salad", pies and cakes, full of gluten, fat, and sugar. (Lion House Cookbook--one of the worst!)

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:57PM

motherwhoknows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No masticating for me--I like the pulp-pulp-pulp
> in my juice-juice-juice. Fiber is good for your
> intestines, and it helps control blood-sugar
> levels.

And it tastes better, too!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:27PM

It is not even a particularly trendy bit of alternative medical nonsense. It's in the same dustbin as laetrile.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/cancer.html and search for Gerson

“By definition”, I begin
“Alternative Medicine”, I continue
“Has either not been proved to work,
Or been proved not to work.
You know what they call “alternative medicine”
That's been proved to work?
Medicine.”

-- Tim Minchin, "Storm"

Mormons are particularly susceptible to quackery, having been trained from birth to believe the unbelievable, and not to demand evidence, and even actively dismiss disconfirming evidence.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:47PM

Brother Of Jerry. I read the info at the link you provided. The info on Gerson therapy is re~~ally outdated.

Since beef in the US now has antibiotics, they stopped doing that a lo~~~ng time ago. It sounded nasty to me, too. Juice of beef liver. Yuck. Coffee enema? What a waste of good coffee.

The only thing I can buy into is drinking fresh juice. Centrifugal juicers are not prohibitively expensive. Our veggie budget at our home is quite high.

For motherwhoknows. I eat a lot of regular veggies, too. So pulp deficiency is never a problem.

Oh, and the pulp can be used for cooking. I used spinach pulp to make pasta. I used carrot pulp for carrot cake. It comes out really fine, so it's great for cooking.

T-Bone

Posted by: partymxman ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:08AM

Wow I never thought about using the pulp. When I was a kid, it was my duty to make juice three times a day. Mostly carrot. Of course as a kid, I thought I was being tortured. But because I had been sickly, my folks were trying to strengthen up my body. I have to say when I think back, it did help a great deal.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:14AM

I use the pulp for veggie casseroles. Very yummy!

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:26AM

Pulp goes great in pasta sauce as well assuming one can eat wheat pasta!

I vote for the smoothies as well....I do not particularily lie fruit (veggies yes) but have discovered a smoothie is great in the morning for brekkie.....sugar free fruit yoghurt, some frozen three berry blend, a banana, some juice, a tablespoon of protein powder and a dose of metamucil. Blend til smooth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.