Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 03:35PM

I'm still attending church because I want to re-enroll in classes at the local church university in January. One of the conditions listed in the endorsement that they bishop and stake president need to give is "does the applicant demonstrate appropriate and consistent church activity?" They have to say yes for me to be allowed to attend the university. Since my husband and I usually alternate who attends church and who stays at home with our 5 year old who doesn't like church, do you think my bishop will give that the okay and consider it "appropriate and consistent" activty, or do you think it's more likely that he'll kick up a fuss?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 03:37PM

I bet the bishop would ask you why you don't force your kid to go to church anyway...

Date: June 30, 2012 03:39PM

Probably, but ultimately that's not his call, regardless of how tbm a family may or may not be. ;)

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 03:51PM

Ummmm, it is his call if he has the power to say you don't attend often enough. There isn't an excuse for not attending. ;-)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 08:38AM

lillium Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ummmm, it is his call if he has the power to say
> you don't attend often enough. There isn't an
> excuse for not attending. ;-)

Right. I'm a nevermo, but based on my impressions from various LDS sources and what I've heard from my exmo husband, most bishops would want to know why you're not making your son attend church. Skipping church every other week because your son doesn't like it wouldn't be a valid excuse. Most normal kids don't like church and would prefer to be doing fun things other than dressing up and sitting in boring meetings.

As to whether or not your church attendance is consistent enough to satisfy your particular bishop, I don't know. I just have the impression that most conscientious bishops would encourage you to attend every Sunday with your spouse and son, regardless of whether or not any of you actually wanted to be there. Most of the church officials I've read about seem to expect you to pay, pray, and most of all, OBEY.

Like Cheryl, I do respect you for not indoctrinating your child. I hope you get this issue worked out and quickly get your degree so you can stop attending altogether! ;-)

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 03:56PM

When I hear things like this, I'm glad that I now decide everything that is "apporpriate and consistent" in my own life.

Date: June 30, 2012 04:23PM

I'm close enough to being done with my degree (2 full time semesters and an internship) that it would be a pain to change universities to do so, plus it's local, less expensive...

I'm hoping that since it's phrased in those terms instead of specific percentages, that it'll be fine, especially since my son had a little girl in his class beat up on him all of the time and none of the teachers cared. Staying home with a child who doesn't wish to attend is better than just beating off to lounge around and thumb your nose at the church, right? ;)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 04:29PM

Annually seems appropriate and if I do it every year I can be classed as consistent...

Date: June 30, 2012 04:34PM

That's how I'm hoping it'll go, that since it's not asking about percentages but circumstances, I'll be okay. My bishop served in a bishopric of a campus ward before being called as bishop of his home ward, so I don't know if that'll make it better or worse.

Date: June 30, 2012 04:36PM

You could say,

"Well Bishop, I've taken this matter to the Lord and I've felt the Spirit confirm that my attendance is fine."

Date: June 30, 2012 04:38PM

Hahaha, turn their own phrasing back on them.

Date: July 01, 2012 04:14AM

Look Brother Rainwater, you need to tell me where you are going instead of attending Church. You should not be keeping that secret from me.

Bishop, it's not secret...it's sacred.....

Date: July 01, 2012 11:37AM

Haha, that'd be Sister, but yes, exactly!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 05:40PM

It totally depends on your Bishop.

If he's a cool dude it won't be a problem.

If he's a BKP-type you may be in for some grief.

It sucks to be in a position where these guys
can make major decisions about your life.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 04:52AM

I'm glad you're protecting your child from indoctrination. Good luck with the bishop.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 10:27AM

A friend of mine whose mother was terminally ill and had no one but my friend to take care of her was told that attending church was still a requirement for endorsement.

I can hardly imagine anything that is more difficult to take care of one's own terminally ill mother on an almost full time basis, but still, it is a requirement.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.