Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 07:51PM

I attribute the majority of my Post-Mormon growth to thoroughly reading books that seemed to offer a more mature and broad picture of human nature and capacity. It has amazed me how the experience of reading one entire well-written book can refresh my wonder and love for living and put the surprises of life into a meaningful big-picture context. Nothing has helped me more to see my experience with Mormonism seem like just a stepping stone to the next big adventure.

For sometime I've been thinking how useful it would be to myself and others if there was some kind of website out there that stored and accumulated people's insights about how a certain book, movie or some other work has broadened and enlightened them post-disaffection. It would have a forum that held permanent threads for individual books and movies where people would continually add and discuss their insights.

Some additional ideas and reasons for the website:

1. Members of the website could post their book reviews on RFM but also include a link to the book discussion site so that their insights don't get lost to the sands of internet time. They would be easier to find, refer to, or add to than if they were only posted on RFM.
2. We could make a public reading/watching list with a short summary of the book and how it relates to recovery.
3. The website would have an overall upbeat attitude of viewing the trauma of disaffection as an excellent opportunity for personal growth, so book and movie suggestions would be mostly centered around subjects that inspire broadening and building of relationships and skills in reaction to our experiences with Mormonism.
4. Any book or movie thread would be acceptable as long as the discussion centered around insights into flourishing as an individual despite disappointments or surprises related to Mormonism.
5. Website name idea: "Post-Mormon Growth"

Who here would be interested in contributing and participating in a website like this?

Are there any good websites out there for Ex-Mormons like this already?

What forum hosting sites or services would you recommend that would work well for book discussions?

Any other comments or suggestions on this idea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brian-the-Christus ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 01:19AM

Excellent idea!

I actually never read anything intellectually challenging when I was LDS. Even after I was x'd and before I returned through humiliating "rebaptism" and "repriesthoodblessingism" I only read a few idiot xian books by Josh McDowell.

In the 13 years since I have read some fascinating books that kinda' filled-in-the-blanks for me about our brains work and why we do the things we do. I'm a determinist today because of my exmo reading.

They have certainly been enlightening.

I don't myself know of any sites out there currently doing this.

Behold: Website Unorganized. Go down and organize it, Jehovah!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 01:20AM by Brian-the-Christus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.