Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 07, 2012 08:55PM

So my husband and I went to Walmart today and I was wearing one of my typical summer outfits, a low cut spaghetti strap top with short shorts which means my shoulder tattoo was vividly showing. As I walked past the cheeses with my little tub of sour cream, to meet my apostate husband in the veggie area, this TBM lady grabbed her two little children and held them close with a terrified death glare in my direction. You would have thought I was the freaking devil. It makes me sad to see the judgement in people's eyes, even when I smile at them and friendly say hello. Anyone else have stories about feeling like the devil?

P.S I am slightly intoxicated, so if this doesn't make sense....that's why :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 07, 2012 09:43PM

Have another one...you deserve it after that nightmare!

Date: July 07, 2012 09:45PM

Thanks! Seriously you would have thought I had horns sticking from my head and had tried to steal her children. Good thing it's poker night...that way I can't wallow in self pity ;)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2012 09:45PM

You are a threat to their favorite myths and as such need to be repelled!!!!

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: July 07, 2012 09:52PM

Judging people based on appearances, and because they don't meet their checklist of geezer-approved dress & grooming standards that ward off satan, and advertise brand "good" makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 12:47AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Grumpoledog ( )
Date: July 07, 2012 10:34PM

Yes I have run into it with my tats. I've been told several times they are the mark of the devil. I've also been asked if I was going to get them removed (only one is visible).

My response is this;

Hitler thought tattoos were evil.
However, Churchill and Roosevelt both had tattoos.

Then I walk away, mostly because they are so freakin' angry by that time their heads are ready to explode. But hey, it's the truth.

Date: July 07, 2012 10:36PM

The scary part of it is TSCC standards on Tats is almost word for word what Hitler taught on Tats.

Date: July 08, 2012 08:49AM

I didn't know that about Hitler. That is scary.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 06:21PM

Date: July 08, 2012 09:08PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

on people he thought were evil, he marked them with the mark of the devil

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 01:10PM

I don't know how true that is. The Waffen SS were required to get their blood type tattooed to their arm, which coincidentally the original "Mormon Doctrine" book allows. After the war, anyone with such a tattoo, found traveling around Europe, was arrested and sent to Denazification Camps.

Posted by: acerbic_one ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 09:49AM

She knew you were gonna be intoxicated later, so she grabbed back the kids. Unfortunately, her lack of the right sexual parts disqualfied her from prophecy.

Actually something similar happened to me years ago in Indiana. I was travelling, eating at a buffet on a Sunday, saying something in reply to the person behind the hot table counter. I don't remember what I said but the whole restaurant went silent. I know now that town was the headquarters of the Church of God of Anderson, Indiana, whatever that might signify.

Date: July 09, 2012 01:11PM

It means God's full truth is limited to a few good people living in Anderson, Indiana. Everyone else has it wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 01:11PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Date: July 09, 2012 01:18PM

I want to get my sons initials and birthday. Somehow I don't see that as being something I will later regret.

Date: July 09, 2012 01:20PM

Sounds like a great idea to me :)

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 10:07AM

What exciting lives they must lead. Someday I bet those kids go and get tattooed now.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 11:58AM

My pastor's wife has a tatoo and this being summer, we see it all the time. It is very visible. I do wonder how the older folks feel about it. It is a Christian tatoo. She is about 51 and just got it 6 months ago.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 03:25PM

My BIL died and so I was in the condolence line. I have a wrist tattoo that shows and with the style of shoe I was wearing, my foot tattoo was showing as well.

These two young children looked down at my foot, and I kid you not, grabbed hold of each other like they were in the closet with a murderer in the house. Then they gasped, BACKED AWAY and ran off. Really? My ink has struck terror into your children?

That is very healthy. Most people just stared and gave me a look like I forgot deodorant that day. But those little kids were too much.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 05:20PM

It must be exhausting to worry about what people think about you all the time.

T-Bone

Date: July 08, 2012 05:22PM

Luckily I don't worry about what people think. I don't have to enjoy being judged though...

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 05:27PM

I *might* miss that haircut or shave, and when there wear a t-shirt that shares my current philosophical views. I don't swear or do anything obxnoxious, but my appearance makes it clear that I am not one of them.

Non-judgmental people (mormon or not) will still talk to me, and the others, well, I've already filtered them out. So, it works for me.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 06:10PM

MORmONS are so stupid that in that free wheeling open public setting you have no idea what they were really reacting to ....
and neither do they.

( how did you positively ID these folks as TBM ? were they handing out BOMs? loudly bragging about their new church calling? wearing BYU T shirts? I mean there are lots of stupid ppl out there that are not MORmONS, and it would be kind of unfair to label them as MORmONS if they are not, you know, kind of like you felt that you were unfairly judged and labeled.)

Date: July 08, 2012 06:19PM

Garments and I had heard them discussing their SP when I was in an aisle behind them earlier. I live in St. George, Utah and trust me nonmos stick out like a sore thumb.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 06:27PM

I'm sorry that happened. I get shunned, too, for not being part of the Mormon fanclub.

What really bothers me about going into Walmart near where I live is that they basically have a "Mormon Department" where they sell BYU clothes, and LDS books/movies/CD's.

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 07:19PM

the WalMart in Orem has lots of BYU stuff, but also UVU merchandise. It's probably just "local college, stock their junk." I find the displays of crosses in the jewelry department amusing. I suspect the regional jewelry manager just heard "Religious area" and said "Christian package to that store."

I'm amazed at how many people in WalMart (I was there yesterday) were wandering around in shorts and tank tops. They were of an age that they were likely married, and given the area, likely temple married. Either the devout can be brought to their senses by high 90s weather, or they don't darken the doors of WalMart on a Saturday afternoon.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 08:50PM

I didn't know they had UVU stuff there, too. I remember reading in an article about Walmart trying to appeal to the flavor of local communities.

I saw the LDS stuff and my irritation flared. I can't wait 'till I get to the point when Mormonism has zero effect on me anymore. Too many bad memories.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 09:09PM

I saw an armor of god statue at walmart. And this was in the heathen Salt Lake City. It looked so stupid.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 07:46PM

Date: July 08, 2012 08:08PM

Hehehehehe

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 07:55PM

This a perfect example of the superficial, shallow 'morales' of Mormonism. Judging someone for having tattoos is almost the same as judging someone for being black. The only difference is that you can choose to have tattoos, but it is prejudice. Perhaps a better way of putting it is that it is like judging someone for the clothes they choose to wear...oh wait, Mormons do that too.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 09:06PM

The judgment you endured from these idiots is disgusting. Not you. Not your tats.

IMNSHO, body art is another form of self expression TSCC doesn't understand.

I don't have tats, but I do have 3 ear piercings. And short hair that covers none of them. HA!

Posted by: Captive Jack ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 12:33PM

I went to the local Wal-Mart on a Sunday afternoon when I was still active. I saw 2 families from our ward area. One tried to hide. The other acted as though they couldn't see us as they walked by in the doorway. They were so afraid of being judged that they did not realize that I was shopping on Sunday as well.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 12:49PM

When I was still part of tscc, I went on a trip with a friend in Scotland. When I left home I was a bit sick and after some days in Whales when I started my trip in Scotland I became a bit more ill. There was in the touring group we hooked up with, a young woman (I think she was American) that I found a bit too wild. She seemed to me to be a bit 'vulgar' in dress, speach and tattooes, and she found many good reasons to celebrate things with some alcohol. Anyways, of all the people there, she is the one that spent time with me and tried to comfort me and got me some medicine to make me feel better. I ended up finding her to be quite a great person.
From that moment on, I stopped judging people. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.