Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 05:47PM

This idea has been thrown around for some time, but today I finally decided to take the initiative and start a database. The website is quite simple, and I'll most likely be improving the presentation as time goes on, but for now it's ready to take submissions.

Please, if you remember the exact date you received your new name, or the exact date of any new name even if you performed a ceremony for the dead or heard it from your spouse, add it to the list. If we get enough submissions we might be able to discover a pattern - or at least be able to help people remember names they may have forgotten.

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

Full untraceable anonymity allowed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 06:24PM by kimball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 05:59PM

This should be interesting.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 06:02PM

I'll answer if I can find when I went for the first time. I remember the year but not the exact date.

Date: July 09, 2012 06:05PM

I'm going to cheat and scan old temple name shout-outs from the board for names to add to the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 06:11PM by kimball.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 01:25AM

I have some of those archived, I'm not sure how many I've saved, but I will check and report.

Date: July 10, 2012 01:30AM

Thanks. You've always been the temple name man, and I've now looked at most if not all of your threads over the past two years, but anything before that seems to be gone. I also found some good resources over at PostMormon and added in some names from there. It's hard to find names with a date, though.

Date: July 10, 2012 02:04AM

I checked through my files and can only find the ones for a little over a year, from Memorial Day, 2011. I have all of them saved since then. Its in a txt. file, so it would be easy to email, or tell me how you want it. I even checked through some old discs to see if I saved some on older computers I no longer have, but nothing was there. Thats the best I can do.

This is a very good idea, BTW. I have often thought of doing this, but I am glad you are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 02:06AM by foundoubt.

Date: July 10, 2012 02:23AM

I'll take it. Send it to kimballthenom@yahoo.com. Txt files are my speciality.

Date: July 10, 2012 02:32AM

I will add your link to future shout outs so this will keep going.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 06:12PM

I hope my memory about the date was good. but I submitted cuz its a cool idea

Posted by: temp ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 07:07PM

I really want to see this database fill up. I'm willing, just need to know how to get my date. Would it show up an certificates from my kids baptisms or anything like that?

Posted by: epsynonia ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 07:50PM

Submitting mine - would love to see if someone comes up with 12/29/88 . . . .(dh's) ;)

Date: July 09, 2012 08:02PM

Whoever submitted as "VVV" could you please submit again? There was a kink with the date that I've ironed out now, but your submission was lost.

Date: July 09, 2012 08:21PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 08:21PM by kimball.

Posted by: Liveinlou ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 08:02PM

Done!! Can't wait to see it fill up. Thank you for making it available.

Date: July 09, 2012 08:21PM

Less than three hours in and there already seems to be a pattern forming with the name "Eunice." Here are the dates for the four entries of Eunice:

Aug 2, 1995
Nov 2, 1995
Jun 2, 2007
Jun 2, 2009

Notice the pattern? There are exceptions, though. We'll get a better picture as time goes on.

Date: July 10, 2012 01:32AM

June 2, 1992

Date: July 09, 2012 09:22PM

bump

Date: July 09, 2012 09:51PM

I thought it would be of use to make a page that showed a full list of all submissions to date, so we can all keep track of the rise and progress of the database.

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/fulllist.php

Only 48 submissions so far. Get your friends!

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 09:59PM

Just added the women's name for Apr 26 1994. This is a great idea.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 12:47AM

Posted by: karin, not logged in, tho ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 12:59AM

I did Mar. 15 1988 female. HOpe someone else comes up with the male name as dh has for gotten it.

Also emailed my exmo sis and brother for their dates and gave them the website to post them.

Love the idea!

Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 01:22AM

This is a great idea. I was looking through the list and noticed Eve was listed as one persons name, then I remembered that when I was a temple worker that I was told that if the persons real name was ever the same as the "new" name that we were to give them the new name of Eve (or Adam for the men) instead of the name of the day.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 01:27AM

My temple name was eve. My real name is not a name found in the book of Mormon or bible. So eve is a a part of the normal rotation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 01:28AM by Samantha Baker.

Posted by: eve88 ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 01:29AM

Going to find our dates and submit...
This is amazing!

Posted by: ano ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 02:11AM

Oh sorry, I'm not from US and made a big mistake with the date.

It was not 01/05/1996 but 05/01/1996 ... may, not january.

Can you correct this?

Sorry.

Date: July 10, 2012 02:15AM

yes, and done.

And the duplicate entry dealt with as well. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 02:16AM by kimball.

Date: July 10, 2012 10:44AM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 10:46AM

This is awesome kimball. Alas, I was not cool enough to get a temple name though....

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 01:47PM

This is so awesome. I never went through, so unfortunately I can't contribute, but I'm loving it.

Date: July 10, 2012 02:10PM

After the first day, the data seem to show that at the beginning of 1992 a standardized system was put in place with the new name corresponding to the day of the month, which system seems to still be in effect today. There are 5 or 6 exceptions, but it's too early to say whether these are due to memory errors or rogue temples doing their own thing. So far, here are the days of the month with their corresponding names, as far as we can tell so far. With time this list should fill in, and hopefully we'll figure out the pre-1992 system as well. Remember, this is only preliminary and there may be some errors:

Day, Male, Female
1, , Ruth
2, , Eunice
3, ,
4, ,
5, ,
6, , Ada
7, Alma, Leah
8, ,
9, Dan,
10, , Abigail
11, ,
12, Shem, Martha
13, Hyrum,
14, , Claudia
15, , Tabitha
16, Ishmael, Rhoda
17, ,
18, Nimrod, Elizabeth
19, Heber,
20, ,
21, ,
22, Reuben, Emma
23, Lazarus,
24, ,
25, , Naomi
26, , Hulda
27, Benjamin, Abish
28, ,
29, ,
30, , Ruth
31, , Julia

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 02:15PM by kimball.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 02:13PM

I remember getting Rhoda and Rachel as proxy temple names, but I can't remember the dates, I went every month for a long time.

Thank you, this is a brilliant idea!

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 02:55PM

kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With time this list should fill in,
> and hopefully we'll figure out the pre-1992 system
> as well.

I was very TBM back in those days and I took my endowment in Manti Temple 12 August 1965 and my new name is Florence.

I was living in Salt Lake so after my endowment in Manti I went to the Salt Lake Temple every week for that next year.

Now to what I discovered for 1965 and 1966

One day I was doing washing and anointing for the person I was going through for and because those little cubicles were only separated by a cloth curtain I heard the person next to me get the same new name the temple worker had just given me for the person I was going through for.

So when we get to the part where they talk about the new name I started thinking, was this a coincidence that another person got the same new name for who she was going through for as I got?

Since it was my day off I decided to do another session and sure enough I got the same new name I had just gotten for the person I had just gone through for.

So that got me thinking about my own new name so I decided to go on the 12th. of the month and the new name was Florence. I did that on the 12th. several more times and the new name was always Florence. Then I went again on the 12 of August 1966 the anniversary date of my own endowment and the new name that day was Florence, the new name I'd gotten for myself a year before.

And I just added my new name and my husband's new name to your site.

Mine Florence, my husband's Joseph but our friends can call us Joe and Flo :-)

Posted by: Loins of Fire ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 02:10PM

It might also be interesting/helpful to correlate men and women's names. For instance my wife and I got our endowments on the same day. My name is Israel and hers is Ruth. That was in May? 1987. I'll se if I can get the exact date.

Date: July 10, 2012 02:20PM

This could be fun.
So....It's your anniversary today? Oh, that's right, your other name is Mary! Happy anniversary Mary.

Stunned mormon leaves the room wondering how you knew that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.