Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 02:01AM

Since I've been endowed, would being unworthy of a temple recommend affect my fellowship status (either formal or informal propation or disfellowshipping), or would that not be enough to raise issue over?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 03:13AM

You would not be disfellowshipped or formally chastised for not being worthy of a temple recommend. The cult is eager to hang onto members. You would not be as well accepted socially, though. The Mormons would question you, and harass you, about not having a temple recommend. They would constantly invite you to the temple. They teach your children in primary that if their mommy and daddy don't go to the temple, that you will not be a "forever family" and that you will be separated at death. My children were told that they would "walk past each other as strangers" in the hereafter. If you're a Mormon, rainwater, you'd better just conform 100%, or be hounded to death.

FYI--God will not punish you if you don't go to the temple. But the Mormons will punish you, for sure!

Date: July 14, 2012 03:27AM

:) It's silly on some levels, really, that there's no real way to make a distinction between not having a recommend by choice and by worthiness issues. Personally, even at my most TBM, the idea of doing temple work for the dead didn't really appeal to me. I saw it as one of those "eh, there are plenty of other people who can do that," things.

"They teach your children in primary that if their mommy and daddy don't go to the temple, that you will not be a "forever family" and that you will be separated at death."
Gah, do they really? I thought the whole point that ensured that was making our/their own covenants, not their repeatedly going back to do it for other people. Totally not cool to have that kind of power to scare kids like that.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 04:51AM

It sure does make a difference!
I was a convert of three years when we married in the temple in the mid 70s. My husband, though active, never renewed his TR.

I was a TBM, starry eyed mormon. The day I married him was the day I dropped from golden convert to ignore and shun in the ward. With the exception being the extreme mission field of the deep south, where I got to take the young women to camp, teach the youth Sunday school and be homemaking counselor.

All of that stopped when we moved into a small mormon town,.I was there for twenty years. Never were we asked to give a talk in church....ever.

We held no real callings in the ward. When I mentioned to the Bishop once that I'd been a RS counselor he said disdainfully "Who would ever call you to be a RS counselor?"
I never got to go to YWs camp even as a tag along counselor, even though I ran a Girl Scout troop for thirteen years the ward would never call me to be a YWs camp counselor. Sure inspired aren't they???

I had been spiritual living teacher in RS, which I loved, and the RS loved my teaching....until I moved into the small inbred mormon town. I substituted for the regular Spiritual living teacher the first three months I was there. Lots of women liked my lesson. The regular teacher was very angry I'd been so well liked so I got permanently black balled the rest of the time I lived in that ward. I never taught another RS lesson in that ward again...not even a 'demonstration" in RS homemaking meeting!

My husband being a non card carrying mormon made us pariahs in the ward. Also being an asshat mormon was a requirement for higher social status.

But yes, it makes a big difference if the husband is a TR holder in a ward!!!

So either get one or resign or go inactive.
At least if you're inactive the wife can hold some dignity by claiming she's wrestling with the spirit and the Lord is comforting her even though she is married to an inactive spouse!

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:00PM

Not for me it hasn't. I've not had a recommend or paid tithing for 3 years and the Bishop knows this. I currently still attend but hopefully for not too much longer. Initially the Bishop would pull me aside, encourage me and extend callings to me. When he realised that it had no impact and that I'll do things on my terms (currently nothing) and no one else's, he kind of doesn't really know where to go from there, so I'm left alone now.

The next best thing to not going at all is to go and only do what you want to do. The fact that those few members who know how I feel see me turn up most weeks, smile, still chat to people on a social level but do absolutely nothing church-wise, must be very confusing. I think a few are very envious that I don't have to stress about preparing lessons or going to endless church meetings.

Date: July 14, 2012 01:14PM

I'm curious because, like I said, we haven't renewed our temple recommends since they expired in November, and I'm not sure that I really want to. But, I do want to be able to get an ecclesiastical endorsement so I can attend classes at BYUI. Officially the question is:
"Is the applicant currently in full fellowship (without any formal or informal probation, disfellowshipped or excommunicated from, or voluntarily disaffiliated from the church?"

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 03:32PM

Can somebody explain the intricacies of having a "fellowship" status? If you are "disfellowshipped", does that mean ward members don't speak to you or look you in the eye?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 07:12PM

Can someone answer, what is the rough percentage of recommend holders to eligible non-recommend holders (among active participants) in a given ward? Does this differ inside the Morridor as opposed to outside of it? Do non-recommend holders tend to go inactive?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.