Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 04:03PM

This story states that these people were not able to attend the temple before serving missions. Is this common or has it happened before in areas where there is no temple?

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/61595/Temple-fund-blesses-LDS-Africans.html

Zimbabwe members Tongai and Fungai Tadokera met four years ago. After dating for 18 months they both decided to serve missions. They fulfilled faithful missions even though they were not able to attend the temple prior to their missionary service. Still, their goal was to marry in the temple.

Last March, the two were married for eternity in the Johannesburg temple.

"Life after our missions had its challenges, but we worked hard," they wrote. "After much perseverance we were married and sealed in the temple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 04:19PM

80-90% of the missionaries in my brother's mission were not endowed.

Date: July 14, 2012 04:21PM

Date: July 14, 2012 04:24PM

He went to Ghana while the temple was being built. He was one out of two foreign white missionaries. The rest were local and had never seen a temple.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 04:23PM

In an emergency, our "Heavenly Father" is subject to intervene in cases such as these where a temple is unavailable. Although he was particularly busy at the time prior to the start of their mission, he appeared to them through their "spiritual eyes". At that time he informed them it would be OK to use the internet and look up the secret handshakes and tokens, which they did. They were also given temporary temple names, much like you or I would get a temporary password on a new website. These were valid for two years, at which time they would become unusable. Thankfully, these two were able to be married in the temple where they received their permanent passwords.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 06:56PM

I served my entire mission (and the rest of my life, for that matter) while under-endowed. Any points for that?

Date: July 14, 2012 06:58PM

Nope. Looks like you got stuck with the short stick..

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 07:01PM

That's what I used to tell my ex.

Date: July 14, 2012 07:10PM

Lol :)

Posted by: mleblanc138 ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:21PM

Living in Orem and got called to the Utah Provo Mission for a short time. The Church specifically said I would not be endowed for that time, but would get endowed if they sent me elsewhere for 2 years. Got back a year ago, did not go 2 years elsewhere, still not endowed.

Date: July 14, 2012 08:30PM

Posted by: noah ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 11:03PM

I have a good friend who was in the same California mission as the LDS actress, Heather Beers. She played Charley in the movie of the same name (soon to be re-released to theaters in Utah for its 10 year anniversary.)

The funny thing is, Heather's rich daddy was friends with the rich mission president so she served for a full 18 months as a regular sister missionary without getting her endowments first.

Why?

Because she was only 18 years old at the time.

No MTC stay. No endowments. And she FINISHED her mission before she even turned 21.

I wonder if her companions were jealous that she could wear normal underwear.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.