Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 08:45AM

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/article_9332a705-7c3e-5860-a1a4-d1efba794247.html

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry to move back to that stupid valley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 09:52AM

Gees, how I stood it there when I went to YBU for my last two years of college amazes me. I loved the education but hated the fucking Happy Valley/breed 'em young mindset!

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:10AM

The small, old stores in Provo and Orem are just being replaced by the larger, new stores in Springville and PG (if you've ever been to the Provo liquor store, you know you won't miss it). The state will make money on the deal. I feel for the people who are losing their jobs, of course, but the only reason this is in the news is that Provo and Orem are losing tax revenue to PG and Springville. Sales won't go down.

Besides the jobs, the real loss for residents and tourists here is the downtown SLC liquor store.

Date: March 11, 2011 11:13AM

I think that does significantly impact access to (legal) alcohol.

Date: March 11, 2011 11:14AM

I know you can go to Springville and PG to get booze, but it can be very inconvienent.

That's one reason I like living in the other 3 four-corner states; I don't have to drive a town or two over just to get a bottle of wine.

Date: March 11, 2011 11:32AM

miles in one direction rather than two miles in another. The north end of that valley needs a liquor store much more than south Provo does. And it will do a higher volume of upper end business.

Now, obviously it would be nice to have a liquor store (or more) in each town, but I don't think the consumption of liquor in Utah would justify that even if liquor sales were privatized. There just isn't the market for it outside of Salt Lake and maybe Summit counties.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:49AM

Actually, the liquor stores seem to have been profitable, according to the Daily Herald article.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/article_9332a705-7c3e-5860-a1a4-d1efba794247.html (Just noticed it's the same link as above, sorry!)

Closing the stores gives Provo and Orem less revenue for school lunches. Sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 11:51AM by sexismyreligion.

Date: March 11, 2011 12:25PM

sales but eliminated operating costs for two stores?

The fact that the state stores are profitable doesn't mean a private concern would be similarly profitable.

Posted by: tngal123 ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 02:24PM

It isn't like you make a weekly trip to the liquor store, like you do the grocery store. (I'm assuming) I make a trip once a month and I have to drive 7 miles to it. Yes, I live in Utah and no there is not nor will there ever be a liquor store in my town, I'm sure.
Also my parents in Tn would have to drive about 15 miles to get to the nearest liquor store. So it isn't just a Utah localized problem.

Posted by: Yewt101 ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 11:51AM

they should just end governmental liquor sales and open it to the free market.... jesus tapdancing christ!

AND IM TIRED OF DRINKING WATERED DOWN BEER!!!!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 12:39PM

If stores were allowed to sell wine, etc., Utah would have some Trader Joe's. That would be very nice.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:36PM

Date: March 11, 2011 04:38PM

Count me in on that vote.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 12:36PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:37PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 06:08PM

Good ole California. Half of our mini marts have liquor licenses. Of course I complain if they don't carry my favorite brand.

Posted by: tapirbackrider ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:18PM

Damn them, damn them all! The only thing that I liked about Provo is gone!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.