Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:21AM

I heard some people on a talk show in Utah saying there is an exodus of young adults leaving the Mormon Church, and their reasoning for this was because Mormonism is run by an older generation and the best way to fix this and keep people from leaving was to "update" their leadership with younger people.

Maybe they're leaving because they just don't believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 01:34PM by liminal state.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Docia ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:35AM

My hubby and I were just discussing this kind of thing this evening. I said that as long as we get "prophets" who are 80 when they assume the presidency, giving them, if we're lucky, five good years before the inevitable physical decline they'll experience, then the Church will never modernize or become ANYTHING resembling a thriving, living Church.

They should take the person who has been in the 12 the SHORTEST period of time (as opposed to the longest) and have him give it a try...who would that BE at this point in time? Anyone know?

Or maybe we could nominate and have a REAL vote for the Presidency...you know like most mainline churches do. Or at least have the 12 convene (like the Cardinals in the Roman Catholic Church) and hash out who would be best for the Church.

Younger would be better. And don't have it be an "until death" position. Have it be "until you can no longer properly perform your function."

Of course, the whole thing's bunk, but it might slow down the young family (lifeblood) exodus...

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:46AM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:43AM

Both of my kids left when they were in their 20's. They left because the church is not what it claims to be.

They could have cared less who the top dog was.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:07AM

Same with me, I left a couple of years after my mission. ET Benson was in power then, and the only attention I ever gave him was to joke about his squawking about "communist potato peels" during the last general Conference to which I ever paid any attention.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:37AM

Yup, I left (mentally) right after my mission, Benson was Pres and he played no small role in my departure. Pretending that this doddering Bircher nutcase was a "prophet" was too much for me to take. His grandkid seems like a decent guy though.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:44AM

the answer they gave is ridiculus. of course we all know that they are leaving becuz it is a bunch of lies. But they have to play the game and pretend that their not aware of that reason.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:54AM

Ask Penn State how that works out.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:18AM

Going to church was interfering with me trying my best to be a good person.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:14AM

According to the articles of incorporation of the "CORPORATION of the president of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints" the senior apostle automatically becomes president and CEO upon the death of the sitting president.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:29AM

Young leadership....old leadership....the church is the church. I know some pretty rabid young mormon leaders who are just as crazy as the old rabid leaders. Nothing would change with younger leaders, remember god is the one giving the orders and no one is older than him. ;)

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:30AM

I don't think having anyone younger would change anything...it might make it worse. How many seminary kids and mishies say/do something absolutely idiotic/mean/personally damaging just because they feel it "God's will".

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:49AM

Nor would having females in the priesthood change much either. Relief Society has zealots, too.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:30AM

They are kind of dealing with this right now. TSM is clearly incompetent due to health concerns, so they are letting some of the younger apostles run things until he actually dies off. Then they will probably take their sweet time ordaining a new prophet, until after Boyd K. Packer dies off, since he is having issues.

BTW, I don't think the other twelve see how crazy BKP is, as much as we do. They probably see him as a strong will grumpy old man, but they probably think he is perfectly rational, since they all had the same level of brainwashing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.