Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 04:49PM

It seems to be a common theme.

Do some mishies just say f it after that and somply go home?

One would think they would be more appreciative of kids living away from their family, in poverty, many times not recieving proper medical care or nutrition, and volunteering their time for a corporation.

Or is humility one of those things people who have gone through a 2nd annointing can ignore?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:00PM

...but I'm pretty certain it makes the GA feel good.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:34PM

No one that I know was ever berated on their mission by a G.A. I have heard stories though.

My son recently left on his mission. Before he left I told him not to subject himself to such bullying tactics. When he asked why a G.A., Mission Prez, Zone Leader, etc. would do such a thing I told him it was a form of control. Usually the lowly missionary is afraid to do something that would end up with them being sent home. To avoid that, they take a lot of s**t from someone in authority who basically is saying "What are you going to do about it?? Go home??" I told my son that once you eliminate that fear, you eliminate their control. I told him to remind whomever that he was just a volunteer and didn't have to take CRAP from anyone, and if they wanted to send him home, then send him home. I also mentioned that if he dropped an "F-YOU!!" bomb on them, he would be a legend in the mission.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:42PM

They pick on the mishey's because they are young and the most defenseless. They also know that most of them won't tell, and if they do, nobody will believe them.

Classic text book abusers.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 07:09PM

I wonder if Jesus gives the GAs a good butt chewing in the temple and that is why they then go out and do the same. You know, that's how their boss rolls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 07:10PM by Samantha Baker.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 08:06PM

Oh, I bet they're doing some butt chewing in there, alright...

Date: July 27, 2012 09:34PM

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 07:35PM

I'd have my iPhone out and ready for action and say "For quality purposes this Zone Conference (or interview) is being recorded"

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:19PM

I was a very obedient missionary, ass kissed the mission prez all the way, he loved me. And yet he had all control over me, he would say jump, I'd say how high. A couple of times I had to take a good reaming from him, once for pulling a practical joke on another missionary and another time because of some behavior issues of some missionaries in my zone when I was ZL. We had numorous visits from GA's, and while I didn't directly interact with them, their speeches were always about behavioral issues, how to be, how to act, what to say, what not to say. Pretty much always about controlling the missionaries. You didn't question it, you just did it.

Another missionary in my mission was a rebel. I heard him dishing it out to the mission prez, he feared no one. This guy didn't take any crap from anyone. He recognized that he was the volunteer and their free labor. He eventually got sent home, or he left, I don't know. But now I respect that guy. And I look back on myself as a panzy. I felt like a prisoner in the mtc. I hated that place. Control, control, control. And we had no say about anything, ever.

Posted by: Michael from nowhere ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:18PM

Lassiter spent a long time at mission conference peering into our souls. He Harassed threatened and generally scared the sxxx out of the quivering group of 19-21 yo bedwetters. I remember literally shaking in my seat. The fact that this man could scare us so badly is proof of our deep indoctrination/brainwash. It was a life altering experience as it later caused my questioning to begin.

Posted by: Adv365 ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:31AM

I remember on mission conference where John R. Lasater (wtf is up with the middle initial thing?!) stood up and said, "When I shook each of your hands today, it was more than a handshake. I looked into your souls!" (picture his said with some old dipshit's best Clint Eastwood impression).

He proceeded to rail on us for the next 15 minutes.

Years later, my wife and I were driving around town one Sunday afternoon looking at homes for sale. Stumbled upon an open house being hosted by none other than real estate agent, John R. Lasater. I remember how angry I was at his hypocrisy and wanted to go in, act all interests in the house then say, "Today, when I looked at your listing, I didn't just check out the floor plan. I looked into your SOUL!"

Asshat.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:37AM

This was likely one of those guys who got engaged to his girlfriend by invoking the classic phrase "I've had a revelation..."

Asshat indeed.

Posted by: JL (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:59AM

I'm grateful that the visiting GA's on my mission were never disrespectful to the missionaries.

But the brown-nosing Zone Leaders and AP's were the ones that constantly berating their "suboridnate" missionaries. And why? Because they want to make sure the stats look great for the visiting GA's.

I remember one of my companions asking (almost begging) me not to teach an investigator because he wasn't going to get baptized until six months or so when he could decide for himself. I asked him why and he said, "That won't do any good to our stats, and 'they' will rail on us, comp."

See how it all works?

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 11:03AM

One of the secret ingredients that makes the loony LDS machine function is an authoritarian culture. I suppose that is what depresses me the most about the current presidential race is the fact that I have gone to great lengths in my life to make sure that mormon assholes like this have no sway over me, now one might become president. Sigh

Date: July 28, 2012 11:05AM

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:20PM

My mission is where I finally found out (from a senior missionary) that not everything a mission president or a local leader says to do is inspired by the spirit.

So it didn't bother me so much when my Prez ironically chewed me out in front of the zone for daring to teach by the spirit when prompted, rather than going through all 6 discussions in order, start to finish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.