Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:28PM

I suspect the Mormons have been mainstreaming their baby blessings. While I live far far away from the Mormon corridor, snippets of their cultural practices are made apparent to me mainly through facebook postings of family photos and other minor family communications. In 1979 when we blessed our oldest I was a nevermo Catholic and feeling ostracized by my own husband and in-laws by a from an event involving my own dear newborn I insisted that he wear the christening outfit my brother had been baptized in. It was, of course, all white and very tasteful...quite expensive. I remember the wide-eyed stares from TBM in-laws but I didn't care. I don't remember what TBM babies were typically blessed in but it wasn't christening gowns. Years later I'm shocked to see photos of TBM babies on their blessing day wearing what are, in reality, traditional christening outfits. I also have noticed recently references made to "certificates of blessing"...

I may not have all the facts but if anyone can tell me if I'm heading in the right direction; have Mormons been making their baby blessings more into christenings?...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:46PM

Christenings upon the Alter of Madness!

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:51PM

It's doubtful they're mainstreaming blessings.

NOT when members have to have a current temple recommend to stand in the circle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.