Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: roxy ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:35PM

Hi everyone, I have been a lurker for a while this is my first topic :)

I'm not in the states but still 5th Generation on one side, from and extremely TBM family, only started the journey out in the last few months.

Anyway I was wondering what others have chosen to pick and choose from the teachings to take away with them (wrap' em up in a doggy bag please) For me I'm taking away the major points of WOW, (I have no moral opposition just i can't stand the taste of alcohol or wish to be anything other than 100% with it or and hate the taste/smell of tea and coffee) I am taking away the belief in scheduled family time and spouse time, being as self sufficient as possible, staying away from debts and to be honest i pray when in foxholes :) although I would describe myself as agnostic and don't know if i'm just wishing into air.

What are others taking away?

What I am leaving behind would be a giant essay, but some of the ones I am happiest to leave behind are:

what to do on a Sunday,
what I can and can't wear,
the guilt behind being a full time working mum (may i add successful in a male dominated industry lol)
giving my husband grieve over how long or short his face hair is or that he wants more tattoos or whether or not he goes to church on a Sunday (jack Mormon)
No guilt over not paying tithing

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:45PM

Anything I learned that is of positive value to me, I have kept. Love One Another! The Golden Rule. Dozens of small universal ideas that are consistent.

Any rules and regulations or demands for following church authority, obedience, etc. I have left behind.

Also, left any belief in their claims as anything other than metaphysical, supernatural, visionary claims that do not hold up to any kind of rational evidence. It's all "poppycock" as far as the BOM or any of the rest of it is concerned.

The LDS Church/Mormonism functions as a two century plus, generational patriarchal tribe with predominate American heritage as part of the American history. It is a patriarchal-line of authority, generational, cultural, societal religious tribe with it's own sacred clothing, music, and language, architecture. The word: tribe is used in their lexicon. (As an adult convert,I was considered an adopted member of the tribe. )

Having lived it, immersed in it, totally believing convert member for several decades, it no longer served any positive purpose in my life so I left it to those who wish to live it.

I am much happier being in charge of my life, not answering to any ecclesiastical authority, or using their claims and beliefs as a foundation for my life.

I much prefer my individual freedom!

It's not necessary to live a certain way on Sunday, or give them money, or wear special underwear, or follow any of their ideas that don't promote my individual freedom!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.