Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:55PM

Not everyone takes the same view. This is mine, and why I think it works well.

About the Cult word.
All religions are cults. But the word is not a pejorative like it is used here very often.

I'm a purist when it comes to words. I don't accept what some author, or others, creates for a definition to sell books about other people's religious beliefs, or for any other reason. I use my critical thinking skills to evaluate: tone, bias, agenda, etc.
In a country that prides itself on freedom of religious choice, it's inappropriate in my view, to find fault with someone else's religious views with the agenda of trying to fix other people as if there was some kind of litmus test for the right or wrong religious views. Human beings do that very well for themselves.

Cult:
Results (Merriam-Webster)
1. formal religious veneration : worship
2. 2 system of religious beliefs and ritual also its body of adherents
3. 3 religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious also its body of adherents
4. 4 system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator - health ∼s
5 a. 5 great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book)especially such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad. the object of such devotion. a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
Merriam Webster.

That would make all religion a cult, by dictionary definition.

I do not use the term: cult re: Mormonism anymore than I would for Lutherans, Catholics, Jews, Muslims,Buddhist, etc. And only as a general term. Never, ever to denigrate someone's beliefs, or their rights to their beliefs.

I am also passionate about our personal rights, all of them and that includes our religious beliefs of choice,(or none).

This is my definition of why I use the term tribe for Mormonism and why it is hard to leave it on many levels.

Mormonism, in my long experience and observation is more accurately described as a two century, predominately American, patriarchal-line of authority, generational, cultural, societal religious tribe with it's own sacred clothing, music, and language, architecture. The word: tribe is used in their lexicon. (As an adult convert, I was considered an adopted member of the tribe. )

Considering how tribes universally manifest, it is, in my view, the best way to understand how Mormonism creates a whole paradigm for the individual in a typically generational, patriarchal, familial, societal, religious context aka tribe complete with it's own unique rituals/ordinances, music, and language including special garments (underwear) to be worn day and night. It's their heritage. It's core is the Eternal Family. Disruption of that core provides the opportunity for mild to extreme measures for those that leave and no longer fit in the Eternal Family as they define it.
The various religions of the world have, throughout history, defined the specific rituals of each religious heritage-tribe. It's common for each one to place great importance on those rituals as the only correct way to perform the traditions and please their Gods: deities/savior, etc. Throughout the history of humanity, human beings have very often been instilled with the necessity of pleasing God and the horrific error and consequence of displeasing God.

If the traditions/beliefs, etc. don't appeal to a member of the group/tribe, for any number of reasons, and leaving becomes necessary, it is often met with hostility as the customs/rituals of the religious tribe have been rejected which is seen as a betrayal, and the prior member could be seen as an enemy as we see in religious wars. Not all religions take such a strong stand as many LDS believers do, but to some degree, those that leave their heritage/religious tribe will be often have a lot of difficulty retaining any kind of cohesive relationship with the believers.

In my very personal Exit Process from Mormonism, I refrain from using words or thinking scripts that have taken on a pejorative meaning like: cult. That is too often a negative word that shuts down acceptance, closes doors,instead of opening them. I want positive personal relationships and negativity won't accomplish that.

Besides, we cannot change anyone else's religious views, only they can do that if and when they have a need or desire. I am also passionate about not causing divisions by telling others what is right and wrong about their beliefs.

I have found that any kind of recovery, in my experience absolutely requires a positive, loving, approach. Otherwise negativity; as in bitterness, anger, resentment, name calling,etc, takes over and there is no room for the kind of recovery that is peace of mind.

I believe in the power of kindness also. If I don't want something said or done to me, I am going to refrain from doing that to others. This is a goal that is sometimes difficult to manage, however as we are all very human.

I often quote this statement as I have found through experience and observation that it is, indeed, very true.

"The individual has always had to struggle to resist the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

--Nietzsche

Ultimately, we find our own way to make changes in our lives.
Leaving Mormonism, in my view, is predominately about taking our power back and owning it and doing it on our terms. That includes not giving other people the power to disrupt our peace of mind.

I changed my mind about my religious beliefs. I have done that many times in my long life. It's OK to do that, and I encourage anyone that wants to change their mind to do so.

It's important to understand that this is our life, we are the captain of our ship, we can direct it's course and battle the storms along the way.

Life is short. I'm amazed I have lived this long! :-)
There is great power in having an attitude of gratitude and living in harmony with those we love wherever that is possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.