Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 10:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in Ca ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 11:03PM

I had an interesting discussion on this board about a year ago (?) with a woman who had been a convert to Islam for a few years (as a result of marriage to a Muslim) and who was also an exMo. I wasn't clear, though, on whether she had been Mo prior to being a Muslim, or if she'd converted for a while to Islam first and later on to Mormonism. I'm always struck by some of the parallels between the two religions. However, given that the clear penalty in Islam for apostasy is death (at least for males--female apostates are sometimes shown more leniency), I'd be very surprised if there are many, if any, *open* converts from Islam to Mormonism.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 11:04PM

My cousin's ex husband converted. He was Muslim. HeisIranian but livesin Utah and hasn't had any death threats that I know of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 11:08PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 11:25PM

I know of one.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 11:26PM

That's great he hasn't been threatened. A former student of mine from Afghanistan was was looking into joining a Christian (non-denominationsl) church here in the Bay Area about five years ago. He started receving death threats even from immediate family members here. I don't know what he decided to do ultimately, as we didn't remain in touch after class ended.

There was also an item on the local news here a few years ago about a church opening that was for Iranian Christians, many of whom were converts from Islam. According to the report, there was a strong security presence at tbe church due to worries about apostates' safety. I don't know, however, if there was security only at the opening of the church or if they've felt they needed to keep being that cautious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.