Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 02:26AM

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a35345260/beliefs_about_our_church_trigger

At least they are admitting something doesn't feel quite right...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 02:31AM

Aargh! I loved the original post but the comments made me physically ill!!!!!!! I only read about 5 before I started getting queasy.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 02:33AM

Holy shiz. The cog dis is off the chart.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:53PM

Mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Holy shiz. The cog dis is off the chart.

Agree, couldn't stand all that "pray, pay and obey" Rx.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 02:40AM

Did you see the comments referring to "worldly logic?"

"When I go to the temple I have to shut off my brain completely, otherwise I'd hate the stupid thing."

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 02:50AM

It never felt right to me, but I never said anything to anyone. It has felt so freeing to admit it and discard anything that reminds me of the years I've spent going.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 07:25AM

*slams head against wall*

Lets ignore our instincts, switch off our brains and keep doing the very thing that makes us cringe and cry.

Who ARE these people?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 08:14AM

Mormons...

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:00AM

+ 100

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:39PM

That is what I don't get....Mormons who are doubters just ignore their instincts and go anyway.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 08:23AM

My wife's oldest sister (husband is AA70) will still not do initiatories, nearly 50 years after her first experience. Freaked her out. OK< so why do you send you children to do the same thing? Listen to your brain instead of shutting it off!!

Posted by: 123let´sgoshopping ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 08:58AM

I was the same. After my own washings and anointings (on naked body, before 1990) I only went back to do endowments. And yet I believed that temple work was from God. Those people seem odd now with more true and light, but I was the same.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 10:51AM

123let´sgoshopping Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was the same. After my own washings and anointings (on naked body, before 1990) I only went back to do endowments.

Ah, when I was still going to the temple (1950s), if you went at all for endowments for the dead you ALSO did the washing and anointing for the same dead person. Always.

Posted by: 123let´sgoshopping ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:01AM

That´s interesting. Didn¨t know that. I had it easier. By the way, were there any changes in the ceremonies between 50´s and 90´s`? I mean was the endowment ceremony you participated same as "mine" in 80´s? I know it was different in Nauvoo and in early 1900´s.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:13AM

Figured it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 11:28AM by jpt.

Posted by: spicyflavor ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 08:30AM

I shall use my wife's account to respondizzle.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 08:34AM

I guess I was hoping that since girls going through for the first time now don't have to endure so much of the stuff that we did in the 70s, maybe it is easier for them. But it brought back memories of being freaked, going home and crying, feeling cheated when I'd spent a lifetime thinking it was something neat and special, not wanting to go back to get married there and then feeling SUPER cheated that those are the memories I have of a wedding, ferchrissake.

Then the ones who agreed but admitted that at least they can't deny the "spirit" in the celestial room, or they think of people who have been in there many times who would not be there if it was not of god, just make me want to pull my hair out. Of course you get a good feeling in the celestial room. It was the only place I felt good at all. Because it's over! You can relax a little, you made it to heaven. It's all scripted to give you that feeling and no, it's nothing to do with almightygawd. It's your natural emotions. And "those people" who are of god, so the temple must be--don't even get me going.

But put it on a shelf, girls. It's not for you to understand. Just keep going and your mind will start to accept it. The more kids you get, the more you'll crave those couple hours that you have a good excuse to get out of the house and go somewhere quiet. The lower your self-esteem gets as you're told over and over that you're not good enough, you're not a good enough wife, you're not a good enough mother--the more you'll enjoy being in a place where only the "elite" can go. Even Bill Gates can't get in there. You must be good enough despite how you feel. And then one day you'll say "I love going to the temple." And you'll raise your daughters with the same delusions you had. And give them the same stupidass wedding you had.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 08:46AM

Wow. Just wow.

"I think I have a cold: my nose is running, I have a headache and a cough. Maybe I'll feel better if I have a cup of tea, some chicken noodle soup and get some rest, but I'm not sure what to do."

The response: "You don't have a cold -- your nose is running because you're allergic to air. The headache is because you're thinking. If you're coughing, you should probably stop breathing. That's all - just stop thinking and stop breathing and you'll be ok!"

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 09:13AM

So now they have to decide which things are "from God" and which things are not. But it doesn't seem to occur to them that if some things in the church are not from God, maybe everything in the church is not from God.

One poster said "I also cannot think to deeply about it. I still don't understand most of it at all, but it helps to just clear my mind and not over think things."

Thinking: the enemy of Mormonism.

Mormonism is anti-human.

Posted by: LollipopPanda ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 09:21AM

The temple is the only place where we are told to go back over and over again until it feels "right". Any other place you go, you would leave and never return if you had that same icky feeling. But yet I had leader after leader tell me that they didn't enjoy it the first few times, but that it took going frequently to feel better about it. WTH?

I went once. It was freaky enough to never return. I left the initiatory session in shock. I hardly remember anything after that because I was so much in shock. I remember thinking, "why did my parents not warn me about this?".

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 10:00AM

I remember they were always trying to get groups together to go to the Temple for washings for the dead. Could never find volunteers. I always felt guilty about this, but I was so uncomfortable by my own washing and anointing that there was no way I was going to go through that again for someone else.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:08AM

That's a very sad thread.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:10AM

After I had my own endowments(pre-1990), I never had any intentions of ever going back into the temple again. Then I went to the MTC. I had a companion who not only wanted to go every P-day, he wanted to do 2 sessions every P-day. He was a nut. We used to argue about it. It was a compromise for me to go just once on our P-day. I hated it every time.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:23AM

I love the one woman who advised the OP to fast and then go to the temple. When you're about to drop due to low blood sugar and lack of protein, that's when you get "the spirit"...

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:47PM

In the MTC, they are supposed to tell the mishies to NOT fast before going to the temple, as they get complaints from the temple workers about the mishies fainting all the time. All that standing and then sitting, standing and then sitting takes its toll.
I was one of the mishies that didn't get the memo. I fainted during a mass-sealing session.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 11:47AM

So very, very sad to read these posts and also that crap masquerading as comfort and truth at Babycenter.

NormaRae, your last paragraph addressed to them nearly broke my heart.

I am so very, very sorry for anyone who feels that disturbed by their own holy building and ceremonies they become part of in it, that they are cringing and crying and in shock---and then convince themselves to go back to please their husbands, friends, and mothers and to prove they are good people.

I am a neverMo. I am also an atheist at this point in my life, but when I was religious, and I was VERY religious at one point, I would simply never have done this.

I am not trying to be crass, but what the hell is wrong with human beings who cannot see what they are doing to their children by not even telling them what is going to happen in there, and how to handle it?

Separate it from religion. An analogy:

You walked down a dangerous alley alone and were threatened and then mugged or raped. You know the muggers or rapists are likely still there, but you do not tell your daughter to watch out for that alley, or to avoid the rapists and muggers inside. No. You help her to get to the mouth of the alley and you then PUSH her into it and walk away. And then never, ever discuss it with her, afterwards. OMG.

Is it a case of "I've been feeling guilty over not feeling holy during this farce, and in shock over how disturbing this was to me, this "sacred" experience, ever since. I am not allowed to talk about it, so the only way I can share this horror with someone, anyone, to be relieved of its burden on me, is to pass it on"? So they pass it on, so to speak, by grooming their daughters to accept it? So that they eventually can accept it, sort of, too?

WTH? WHY would someone spooked, scared and shocked by something, anything, turn around and put their own young and vulnerable daughters through the same experience?

I just do not understand.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:07PM

It is so heartbreaking to read the wife say she was so comforted having her husband tell her to just 'put it on her shelf'

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:41PM

The good thing is that the shelf breaks after a while, once it gets loaded with enough crap...

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:23PM

The odd thing is that Mormonism teaches members to trust their feelings (the "spirit"), BUT when those feelings say this temple rite feels like something occult or like witchcraft, then members are rationally to understand that "God's ways are not your ways" and to ignore those negative feelings.

The ultimate message is always this:

"When necessary, stop thinking, and stop feeling -- just DO AS WE SAY!

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:28PM

I've told my 10 yo daughter numerous times our brains are God's greatest gift.

Posted by: dreamer ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:40PM

like twojedis, it never ever felt right to me.
I turned off that deep feeling and tried to work myself into a temple frenzy feeling of special delight.
Eventually I couldn't do that.
I was never happier when I stopped denying the conflicting feelings that it felt strange and 'not right' somehow.
Suddenly everything began to make sense, why it didn't feel right and why I was trying desperately to make it right. It isn't right.

Posted by: spicyflavor ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 12:58PM

Rules of posting on that board go as follows

"4. This is an LDS board. All visitors are welcome, but all comments are not. Any comment that is belittling, arguing, or disrespectful of the doctrines of the LDS Church (including Prophets and Apostles) will be deleted immediately without warning and without notice to the poster. This includes avatars and signatures. The same procedures described in rule #3 will apply.(no personal attacks)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 12:58PM by spicyflavor.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: August 01, 2012 01:02PM

The babycenter seems to be the source of all evil on this planet. I think Bane from Batman is a mod over there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.