Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Once ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:09PM

Each time I hear a TBM brag about TSCC having 14,000,000 members I just want to, but never have, shout out, "You're a f#%king* G#d D%#n liar because you're not telling the whole truth about those 14,000,000 members." You know, as if all of those 14,000,000 members are active, tithe paying and staunch believing TBMs.

I was recently at a manager's meeting where the only TBM, a most detestable kind of chap (arrogant, superiority complex, etc.), you know the kind, made this claim.

How would some of you handle this when a TBM makes this comment? I'd love to have a retort to this commom TBM claim that causes them to look like a "horse's ass."

*I rarely use profanity, especially the "F" word, but sometimes the "F" word seems...well, it just seems so appropriate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:15PM

There is no country in the world that collects data that has reported numbers of Mormons in the numbers claimed by the Mormon Church.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:20PM

I would say that I was the only Mormon in my high school graduating class of 630 kids.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:21PM

I would look at him, laugh, maybe spit a little Johnny Walker out my nose at him, and say, "f**k, you are a funny guy - you have any more jokes like that..." And when he retorts, "don't persecute me." That is when you do one of two things: 1. Walk away laughing at him. 2. Or say, "that was not persecution, this is persecution" and punch him in the face, and walk away laughing... All depends on how much you drink.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:22PM

numbers that that many trailing zeros are Immediately Suspect.

with the precision that computers put into counting, it's pure B.S.

also: the Morg won't tell you Anything significant about how the number was reached, i.e., who's included, who isn't.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:24PM

It sounds like a work meeting that this happened at, correct? I wouldn't say anything, I would just walk away. If I did say something, I would probably say that religious discussion doesn't belong in the work place. Then walk away..

Date: August 04, 2012 12:45PM

This occured after business meetings, in the evening, when managers and their spouses were socializing.

I really like Rebeckah's response, but then say, "For example, the mormon church claims to have well over 1,000,000 members in Brazil, but the recent Brazil census showed there were less than 300,000 mormons in Brazil. How do you explain that?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:53PM

In that case, feel free to let them know :)

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:25PM

I tell them the Catholics have 1 billion members so they must be the true church.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:38PM

And you could add that ChurchCo is growing only at the same rate as global population.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 12:39PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: givememy10percent ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:41PM

Smile and just say "good for you!"

Numbers are so important to losers. Just because the church propagandist pulls out a number without any data to back up their claim doesn't mean anything. 14 Mil is a good sounding number, it's higher than last year and will be lower than next year.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:41PM

My response? "Well, I belong to the group that does not believe in your church. This group has over 6 billion members. 6 billion people can't be wrong".

You don't even have to try to correct your facts on this one. It just turns the numbers game back on them.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:42PM

Isn't Islam the world's fastest growing religion?

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:43PM

After all this time, unbiased studies find the US is 1.4% Mormon, and that hasn't changed in 20 years.

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/CUNY_GC/media/CUNY-Graduate-Center/PDF/ARIS/ARIS-PDF-version.pdf?ext=.pdf
Page 12

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:48PM

I'd point out that many of those members are dead. Since the Church keeps people they've lost contact with on the rolls until they reach 110 a LOT of them are dead.

I once attended the annual meeting of a Presbyterian congregation. I noticed something, they gave a handout to whoever walked in the door. It contained their FINANCIAL statement. It also listed how many members they dropped from the rolls because they had not attended for a year. If Mormons counted members the same as the Presbyterians the fabled 14 million would be cut AT LEAST IN HALF.

The Chilean census asks for religious affiliation. According to the Chilean census, there are about 1/4 the number of people in Chile who consider themselves Mormons as the Church claims. A similar census in Brazil listed 900,000 FEWER people self identifying as Mormon as the Church claims.

Mormons claim anyone who they talked into getting dunked, and who attended for a month before deciding it was not for them as "members" until they go to the trouble of formally resigning. That means people who have forgotten that they ever joined the Church--got dunked 40 years ago, attended twice etc.--are counted as part of the 14 million.

The exmormon movement is growing faster than the Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 12:51PM by baura.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:50PM

...my Catholic mom gave a fake smile and then stated, "Talk to me again when you have over a billion people in your church."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:58PM

Just get a member in the ward where you are to download a membership list and then get people to quickly call or contact everyone who they know is not attending and ask if they are still Mormon. The reason for doing it quickly is because TSCC will try to stop you. Just think what it would prove if half of those on the list not only do not attend but think of themselves as ex-mormons. BTW I have met people who think back and remember that in the distant past they were baptised Mormon and after a few weeks just went on their way. A survey which cut the numbers would force TSCC to admit that the numbers are inflated. Of course, they could add all of those dead persons baptised in the temples. LOL.

Date: August 04, 2012 01:09PM

I know it's wishful thinking, probably not even practical, but I'd love to see your idea implemented by some TV show like 20/20, 60 Minutes, etc. and then confront TSCC with the "FACTS."

Posted by: neveragain82 ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:59PM

I would reply, "that is nice, there are 2.2 Billion with a B, Muslims. And that is not just according to some records but of people who adhere to the Muslim religion."

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:00PM

Since world population is at 7 Billion, I think your Mormon God needs to get up to at least a Billion just to be in the running.

How low are you mormons setting the bar, anyway?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:02PM

I say:

"Well, check out the Jehovah's Witnesses. They started about 50 years AFTER mormonism started, yet they have more attending members and more annual converts. So, they're even more special than you! They just don't broadcast from the rooftops about it like the mormon PR group does...... You need to try to get some information outside of your mormonism cave once in a while; you'll find all kinds of enlightening information out there."

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:09PM

Assuming you want to embarrass him in front of the others, and make others realize (if they don't already know) that Mormonism is a Cult, I would say:

"You know, I was interested in what the Mormon Church does, and on their own website they claimed to have donated a billion dollars to humanitarium causes in the past 20 years. That sounds like a lot." (*Quick Pause as starts beaming.*) "Let's do some math. 1 billion over 20 years is 50 million a year." (*Pause) "50 million a year by, what did you say, 13 million members, is about $4 per member per year. Hmmm."

"So don't members have to give 10% of their gross earnings to the church? What does your church do with the rest of the thousands of dollars they take in from each member after they take out that $4?"

Posted by: Dr. Nick ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:12PM

Hi Everybody!

Try a compnvwrsation like this.
"Wow 14 million members, you know that for a fact? That's amazing. The church must have a fantastic record system."
"Indeed we do."
"Well then, why does that system let Jewish Holocaust victims fall through the cracks? After all, the church promised back in 1995 to stop baptizing Jewish Holocaust victims. Yet, earlier this year, the church record system had another system failure and Anne Frank was baptized for the 9th time."

Posted by: Dr. Nick ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:18PM

Edit: try a Conversation like this. Please forgive my imbecilic spell checker which did not catch the error until after I posted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:23PM

(Look puzzled.) "I thought that the church has 20 million members. It's only 14 million? What, are the new converts falling away after awhile?"

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:25PM

"See, that's why people don't respect Mormons. They are so prideful."

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:26PM

My mission president openly admitted that only around 10% of members on the rolls of any given ward came to any church meetings. Thats not 10% active, that number includes people who the bishop thought he saw at sunday school once 2 or 3 years ago. Also, that doesn't count people who the church lists as members but are no longer in the records of any particular ward; they've lost track of them, possibly dead, maybe they've forgotten they ever even joined the Mormons, who knows.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:27PM

Wow, that's almost as many as the Seventh Day Adventists who have 17,214,683.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_Church

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:28PM

I would say "where is your proof?"

HH

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.