Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 12:45AM

My latest granddaughter was born in the wee hours of August 1st. I saw her later in the day, and was deliriously happy after the visit, making my way back to my car.

I was approached by a couple of mishies who were apparently cruising the hospital parking lot.

I couldn't help myself. "Oh, how WONDERFUL," I gushed, clasping my hands together rapturously. "Let me guess - you guys are with the 'Book of Mormon' touring company!!!" (I should add that in all reality, it will be years, if ever, before "BoM - the Musical" hits our little small-town theater.)

I went on, "I just LOVE that number where Elder Price goes on about 'a warlord who shoots people in the face! What's so scary about that?'"

I know. I shouldn't have done it. But I could just tell that they immediately dismissed me as a prospect, smiled awkwardly, and made their way toward the hospital lobby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 12:51AM

Hahahahaha. Good one.

Congrats on the new granddaughter!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 01:15AM

Yeah, right.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 02:00AM

Congrats, catnip. Great name :)

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 02:08AM

My very TBM nephew went with his more liberal dad to see the BOM musical, just a couple of months before going on a mission, and loved it. it didn't seem to make a dent in his testimony.

That was pretty clever of you to come up with those lines. You'd make a good stand-up comic.

Posted by: a-no-nfor-sure ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 02:12AM

Congratulations! And nice work with the mishies.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 02:37AM

Inside every missionary is an apostate screaming to come out. In fact, I think I just came up with the idea for my next thread.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 05:29AM

Ha-ha-ha-ha! Good one! You were probably feeling pretty good that day. Congratulations on your grandchild!

I like to sell to the missionaries, and to any other Mormons who come to my door. I say, "Since you are here, I want to tell you all about...." I don't give them a chance to get a word in edgewise, or to change the subject. I have a relative who runs for public office, and I work on his campaign. I ask for the missionaries' help, because they go from door to door canvassing, and I give them fliers to hand out (even though they won't do that). When it's not election time, I ask Mormons to donate to MS, or the League of Women Voters. They are after my money, so I have a right to ask them for their money.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 07:19AM

Congratulations to you and best wishes to the new grandbaby!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 08:43AM

LOL! Great story, and congratulations to you & the parents!

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 12:18PM

Thanks for the thought on how to deal with Mormon missionaries. Next time they knock on the door, I'll ask them where they are performing the BOM musical, and how much are the tickets.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 01:09PM

Awesome! Reminds me of Halloween at the elementary school. They have a "trunk n treat" where the kids go to different cars in the parking lot that are decorated up and get candy. The mishies had a car (not decorated) I was so surprised at this blatant prospecting that I blurted out: "OH its Elder Price! Ha, Ha" and then got outta there. I could hear the one saying to the other: "That guy just called me "Elder Price."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.