Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 12:58PM

Went out to eat with TBM wife and ex-Mo adult son to a local family run hamburger joint that has been here for a couple of generations. There was a large group of extended Mormon family that had a lot of tables pushed together. They were celebrating a birthday and had balloons and a big cake but it was weird they were all dressed in church dress.

I asked TBM wife if she knew any of the Mormons at the other table. She asked how I knew they were Mormons and wanted to know what made me think they were. I ticked off the reasons to her: Duh, all wearing garments, and you could see that the women all had small sleeves on their outfits, you could see the garments from the backs of their dresses and you could see the marks really clear beneath the shirt of a giant fat guy with man breasts. They were all in sunday best and the boys were all wearing khakis with white shirts and clip on ties. But the thing that sealed it was that it was 100 degrees outside and the women were all wearing......NYLONS! No one but no one wears nylons with a dress anymore and it looked so stupid in the heat and always ID's a woman as Mormon. Even TBM wife does not wear nylons in the summer but said she never would have gathered all that just to look at them. I can't believe that Mormons can't ID other Mormons. I doubt that my mordar is super sensitive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 01:24PM

She is playing the mormons are normal mind game. Sounds like she is engaging in a little gaslighting to me.

EVERY Momo or exmo can spot other mos 3 miles away.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 01:27PM

Yep. The mind automatically doesn't pay much attention to what it considers "normal."

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 02:19PM

ALL Mormons can identify other Mormons. I knew a guy who would approach complete strangers in public and ask them directly, if he suspected. He was right 75% of the time. I suppose he considered the other 25% to be a missionary opportunity.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 01:32PM

My second marriage was to a non-mormon man from the south. I lived in Orem and he moved there. We used to play a game at University Mall called "high-mo", "low-mo" or "no-mo". The exact things the OP described were what tipped us off as well as stair-step children in tow. We used to laugh ourselves silly as we people watched and then decided where people fit.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 06:37PM

A dead giveaway for me is the kind of stuck-up, dorky compusure they have, and the plain, conservative dress style. Had one TBM supervisor at a last job who looked and walked like a balding ostrich and at the same time strutted around like he was the king sh*t around the Mormon office clique. People like that outside of Utah would be considered the annoying nerds, but here in Utah, they're considered royalty.

Matter of taste and culture I guess.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 06:46PM

But they look so damn sexy!

Oh, sorry! ;oD

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.