Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 02:58PM

Sorry, I've been posting a lot, mostly as it's liberating and very nice to see I am not crazy.

I've just been wondering if anyone here had the issue of foul mouthed parents, but still had them serve as bishopbric members, relief society presidents, etc. My parents have been this way since my dawn of time and I've always despised it. I find their language rather degrading to their character despite what the church members think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 03:05PM

As in using the f-word every other sentence or just tinkle talk (thanks for that one RJ)?

I'll tell you an amusing story. My BF's dad was in the Navy and you can imagine that swearing is quite prevalent on the ships. It gets to the point where people don't even realize they are doing it. When his parents married, his dad had a high calling in a Provo ward and continued with his salty sailor vocabulary, even during meetings. I think it took a month before someone worked the courage to call him on it, lol.

Ok, one more. When my oldest sister was still involved in TSCC, she still swore quite a bit. My brother's daughter picked up some swear words from somewhere (we don't know it was my sis) and gleefully used them in front of his prudish TBM in-laws. When my brother and his wife were trying to figure out where she picked up the words, my sister's daughter loudly proclaims, "I bet it was MY mom because she cusses all the time!" Cue awkward moment.

I don't think swearing is such a big deal provided you know when to use it and when not too, but I have a potty mouth too.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 03:08PM

Don't be too hard on them. They aren't allowed to drink or smoke, so this is their one vice to get their frustrations out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.