Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 02:49PM

Evidence, in the form of quotes from the article, that the mormon females seeking a "middle ground" are starting from a less-than-ideal foundation. They have been brainwashed, and it shows.

Quotes:

These LDS women, McBaine said, are not trying to “eradicate the divine differences between men and women,” but want to be “used, engaged, recognized and appreciated … in the broadest context of the Lord’s kingdom.”

…Strayer notes that Mormons have “a uniquely feminist doctrine that … could be an example of religious gender equality to every other world religion….

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rise ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 02:55PM

Once More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Evidence, in the form of quotes from the article,
> that the mormon females seeking a "middle ground"
> are starting from a less-than-ideal foundation.
> They have been brainwashed, and it shows.
>
> Quotes:
>
> These LDS women, McBaine said, are not trying to
> “eradicate the divine differences between men
> and women,” but want to be “used, engaged,
> recognized and appreciated … in the broadest
> context of the Lord’s kingdom.”
>
> …Strayer notes that Mormons have “a uniquely
> feminist doctrine that … could be an example of
> religious gender equality to every other world
> religion….

LOL, they really believe that! So sad ha.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 03:07PM

... that when the women finally revolt, the cult will fall.

Still, this just un-does me:

"letting women either conduct (or at least be present at) worthiness interviews for teen girls ..."

Tell me it ain't a cult.

http://youtu.be/sKDO19Y0KWg

Timothy

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 07:56PM

Timothy, I saw that statement too, and thought, women can't be present during worthiness interviews of underage girls? WTF? A parent, mother or father should be present during every interview of underage children. I think, even single women, should have the option of having someone else of their choosing to be present during such interviews.

Cult indeed!

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 08:08PM

Timothy, your theory reminded me of something LBJ reportedly said, "If I've lost Cronkite I've lost the country."

Posted by: james ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 05:46PM

I think it's a tad self-defeating to beg for equality.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 07:34PM

maybe the wymynfolk should all read Lysistrada.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 06:24PM

You will never see a movement for women to take over the sexual interrogation of teenaged girls by adult men.

It would mean admitting that interrogations of teenaged girls are being conducted by adult men.

And the church hasn't got the staff to excommunicate all the women who would sign up for that. They only have one choice, to deny that it is done and label those lying teenager girls for what they are- a bunch of bitter licked cupcakes.

Any such uprising would be quietly denied as a misunderstanding and hushed up totally.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 06:56PM

There is NO middle ground in a cult.

These women are delusional if they think they can get the morg to move out of the 1800s for them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 07:03PM

Glo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is NO middle ground in a cult.
>
> These women are delusional if they think they
> can get the morg to move out of the 1800s for
> them.

10-4; Nothing New on this item.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 07:10PM

I am hoping that some women that want change but have so far been frustrated are perceiving TSCC changing for gays, but not for women. I think if TSCC goes too far in accommodating gays without making concessions to women that feel the need for change, there will be a little rebellion withing TSCC>

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 07:19PM

How can there middle ground in the mormon theology? It is impossible.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 07:39PM

"You see it all over the world: women are kept in their places by the patriarchal societies in which they live.  Not only do they not have as many options and opportunities as men, they are usually the most oppressed. It varies from country to country and culture to culture, but the bottom line is that men are constantly trying to control women."

http://www.femagination.com/1147/under-his-thumb-mens-attempts-to-control-women/

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 08:17PM

remember that campaign against witches in the middle ages?

http://www.gendercide.org/case_witchhunts.html

Posted by: postmormongirl ( )
Date: August 17, 2012 09:35PM

I saw that article posted on my Facebook feed today, along with the person gushing about how liberal and wonderful our ward was. And yes, I did grow up in a liberal area. But even then, I still felt like I was being stuffed into a little box that didn't fit.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 11:10AM

That lady seriously thinks that the mormon church can set an example for other churches. Really really? The way tscc treats women is appalling. They are very sneaky. They say all kinds of wonderful things about women so they can say they respect women, but the bigotry is still there. They are just covering it up. Similar to what they are doing to the gays now.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 12:21PM

Yeah, some revolutionaries.

"NOT that everything isn't just fine the way it is, BUT,
we would just like a bigger role in the religion, leaving the definition of that to our oppressors."

Anagrammy

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 01:53PM

whoops...sorry MJ for the duplicate post...I didn't see yours till now.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 02:04PM

I'm not one of the arrogant, self centered jerks that gets all uptight because some one dared duplicate a post. Duplicate posts happen all the time here. It takes a real uptight ( )*( ) to get upset about it.

No reason to apologize in my book. What you posted was interesting, on topic and something valid to post here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 02:05PM by MJ.

Posted by: popolvuh ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 03:30PM

Doesn't anyone remember what happened in the 80's to the previous 'mormon women seeking middle ground'? History repeating itself and all that...

I suppose I should be impressed that despite all the heavy anti-depressant intake, there are a few women fighting the futile fight or something. But mostly it makes me sad, maybe a little irritated.

If your celestial future involves being an invisible member of some guy's harem pumping out the spirit babies who will never speak of you and watching them do hideous things to each other and to the planets you create for them, then why bother making feeble attempts in this life within the church, this 'middle ground' or whatever? Just accept your lowly status and take your pills already.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.