Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mordecai ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:44PM

This a continuation of a previous thread. Are you now equating faith with insanity and people of faith with madness. Is that what your more "enlightened" world view teaches you? Is that what your self styled secular prophets have to contribute to the advancement of the world? Seems to me they are no better than the ones they rail against. So people like Dawkins and others like him are held up as enlightened examples that will lead people to a new world?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:49PM

Get used to it. It is a theme on this board and it drives me nuts and I am not even religious.

For polyandry hotel, I am familiar with Lennon, thank you very much. I have all of his music and most of the books about him. I adore the guy, but quoting him about religion is silly since he was no expert.I stand by that.His opinions are no more insightful than any other guy on the street.Neither are Dawkins.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:51PM

This was my response to the prior thread, which began with this quote:

"One of the truly bad effect of religion is that it teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding." -- Dawkins

The heart of much religious and spiritual belief is wondering if there are realities that go beyond the physical world. Religion purports to give firm answers to what is now and may always be unknowable. But the questioning itself can show curiousity and a desire to understand.

Some religions and denominations encourage and/or tolerate such questioning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 11:59PM by summer.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:50PM

And people, without actually *understanding* that the answers are not really answers accept the fiction without an real curious inquiry as to the validity of what they are being told. In short, many, if not most, are not curious, many, if not most, just accept whatever answers are handed to them without question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 12:09AM by MJ.

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:53PM

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:53PM

Posted by: Polyandry Hotel ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:54PM

Yes.

"Faith" is a tool utilized by Religions to USE its followers. Most of us are on this board because of the mindf*cking Faith non-sense drilled into us as children. I WILL NOT LIE to my children and tell them things I have no way of knowing to be true or false ie Where we go when we die. Religion would have me do this ALL DAY. Screw that delusion.

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” -Steven Weinberg

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:22PM

+ 1000 I like you when you get like that.

Date: August 20, 2012 10:59PM

Fine, don't lie to your kids or take them to church, but don't assume all religions and all religious people are the same because that is nopnsense and don't take Dawkins and his fellow atheiss as the fianl authority on religion or history because quite often they are full of it. You need to educate yourself. If you are not interested in doing that, I would suggest you stop making blanket statements about religion.

Posted by: Brian-the-Christus ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:58PM

The moment a religious person steps up and give humanity something more than "guesses" about the future, I'll be interested.

Until then, believing a lie is the essence of religion and people who defend it are morons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 11:58PM by Brian-the-Christus.

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:01PM

Bah- someone beat me to te punch of Weinberg's quote :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 11:02PM by ragingphoenix.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:02PM

Thanks for the advice.

Religion does three things quite effectively: divides people, controls people, deludes people.” -Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney

Posted by: Mordecai ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:30PM

Kind of like what communism did with with its poor victims? the countless millions who lived, suffered and died for an ideology? Dare I call it a religion of the atheist faithful?

Date: August 21, 2012 12:00AM

Communism probably gave America and the Western World more motivation to create than any idiot claiming to speak with god.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:02AM

I guess Dante, Michelangelo, Da VInci, and on and on and on don't count.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:08AM

We didn't do much with their knowledge until we began to fear the big red menace.

But trying to get you to think has always been impossible...

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:25AM

They were paid and probably not believers. There's a few clues in Mike's paintings that he hated the church.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:29AM

Oh really. He was a devout Catholic and admirer of Savonarola.He also wrote religious poetry. You are thinking of Da Vinci and that is questionable.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:36AM

Those artists were pretty much confined to painting religious material. Painting what one is TOLD to paint then claiming that as some great inspiration is hardly intellectually honest. One has to wonder, well one without an apologist's agenda, what those artists would have painted if they were free to paint what TRULY inspired them, not just what they were limited to.

but now that you made the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9UZSJ8eVSk

In short, communism created a religious cult, not around god, but around their leader. The model used by communism was that of religion. Both suffer from putting ideology above reason.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 12:13AM by MJ.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:26AM

Exactly.

Look at North Korea...one of the MOST religious nations on earth.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:05PM

Dawkins can be extreme. There are many things I find him arrogant in. Sometimes the way he comes across is similar to a Mormon. "I'm persecuted because of what I am, so I'm going to persecute everyone else back" is the vibe I get from him a lot.

That being said, I do think there are a bit of good things he says also. I enjoy reading some of his writings.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:29PM

He makes some good points, but he is extreme and his view of history is off.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:34PM

For once would you open your mind to the alternative? Dawkins gives his opinion in a very decided manner and he has an opinion about what things mean that is different than yours, live with it.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:37PM

He also gets facts wrong you know, stuff about history. He has a right to his opinion, but he doesn't get to make stuff up. Maybe you need to open your mind.Some of you guys act like he the prophet. How about checking out some of the stuff he claims/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 11:37PM by bona dea.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:44PM

You of all people should understand that history is the reconstruction of what we thing happened according to our limited understanding. Dawkins has the wrong opinion about many things, but he doesn't get the facts wrong very often.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:46PM

Oh, really?

You've gotten things wrong before, bona, yet you opine here.

Getting stuff wrong doesn't negate his ability to cut through the crap of mindless robots.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:04AM

Good bye, Brian. It was so pleasant here when you were gone.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:42PM

I haven't really looked into his history claims so I won't claim to know anything about it.

When it comes down to it, he's just human like the rest of us and that means definitely not perfect.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:25PM

He's not MY guru. Sometimes I think people mention his name and a quote just to be thought of as intelligent by others and get a plus 1. I'm onto it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 11:26PM by suckafoo.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:26PM

Polyandry Hotel,

Did you used to have a different moniker?

Date: August 20, 2012 11:40PM

Why do you ask?

Date: August 20, 2012 11:44PM

Your writing style seems very familiar, and blueorchid stated "I like it when you get like that", implying she is familiar with you on here, but your name is new to me.

I just upgraded from "Lost Mystic" and I wouldn't want to lose a poster that I know in a name change...lol

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 11:38PM

Dawkins was speaking as a man.

Date: August 20, 2012 11:39PM

Hahahaha that's awesome!

Date: August 20, 2012 11:40PM

LOL

Date: August 21, 2012 12:05AM

By the way, Mordecai, someone else pointed out that your statement is a strawman argument.

You make the claim, not I, although so far he's expressed himself FAR MORE eloquently than you have here.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:06AM

I have seen him speak to a single idea being madness, but that is far from labeling a class of people.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:12AM

Come on ! knock down that strawman !!

Date: August 21, 2012 12:13AM

Dawkins isn't trying to lead people. He wants to snap people out of their need to be led.

These high profile secular humanists and atheists are trying to get people to think. Faith inhibits thinking

Date: August 21, 2012 12:21AM

Amen, Brother...Amen

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:18AM

For an enlightened person, Dawkins has a bit of work to do on women's issues. There are appears to have a blind spot when women's issues seem to threaten his "movement."

http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/

Date: August 21, 2012 12:21AM

He is a top notched biologist, but he needs to bone up on history and religion and stop with the stereotypes.He is a lot better when he sticks with his field.I think his celebrity has gone to his head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 12:23AM by bona dea.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:30AM

OK, I'm gonna need you to give some examples of history he got wrong, and please don't tell me it's his ridiculing a planet wide flood.

Date: August 21, 2012 12:36AM

The stuff about the causes of 'religious wars' for starters.He also misrepresents the beliefs of many religions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.