Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 05:19PM

At least I think he was lying.

My wife works for the church and they had a picnic get together last night. She asked me if I would come. She also insisted that I was going to be on good behavior. Sometimes the sarcasm rolls off my tongue before I have a chance to do anything about it.

Anyway, at the picnic...

We were sitting, minding our own business eating our meal and visiting with my wife's coworkers. The Temple President was making his rounds saying hi to everyone. He gets to us and my wife introduces me to him.

He doesnt mean anything more to me than just another 80 yr old man. Obviously not impressed with his title. He starts telling me about the phone call he got from President Eyring asking him to accept the calling of Temple President. He said first he turned it down and told Eyring that he needed someone younger with a lot more energy. But Eyring insisted and told him that he needed to talk to two other people before he turned him down. The first person was Hinkley. He said that he couldn't, that he was dead. Second was someone else, dead also. Then Eyring told him that those men worked into thier 90's and if they could do it, so could he. So he felt like he had no choice but to accept the calling.

First thing I thought was no one that full of himself that needed to bring up that whole conversation without anyone asking would not have turned down the calling. There is no way he would have turned down the calling. He would have been thinking - about time they gave me that calling, I have deserved it for a long time.

I felt like he just wanted to show how humble he was and do some name dropping.

I was not impressed...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: postmormongirl ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 05:22PM

No -definitely not impressed either. Kind of funny how people can get so wrapped up in stuff like this, to the point of absurdity.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 05:28PM

He needed to feel important especially to a non-believer so he made up a story that he thought would move you. It is funny the TBM's don't know what would influence ex-mormons so they fail at stuff like this.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 05:32PM

Wow! I heard my ex bishop tell almost the exact same story.
He was called to be bishop in his mid 70's. He liked to make a big deal out of it.

The go talk to a dead prophet story must be how they get these old guys to sign up for jobs that nobody else wants.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 06:48PM

Being on your best behavior, you could have asked. "Who was Hinkley again"?

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:26PM

Peed his pants on national TV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

was results like this what they were looking for?

perhaps his biggest mistake was believing his own PR that he was a PR genius.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:41PM

LOL!!! He said "Jesus Smith!" It was no accident... hahahaha

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 07:13PM

So....to him it was worth it. How much $$$ does a Temple President make?

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 08:05PM

"So, what you are saying is that you were better than two dead people to do the job. How wonderful!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 08:06PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:48PM

Tisk tisk! He said "good behavior," remember? Lol!

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:06PM

Wow... just wow.
I hope by the time I'm that mature-of-age my maturity reflects it.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:43PM

You should have fallen to your knees, wailing and tearing your hair out, for being such a filthy heathen before this God approvied senior temple caretaker. Tsk, such an important man!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:38AM

I would have said so you let Henry Eyring sucker you into wasting your golden retirement years and to make yourself feel better you have to brag how much it sucks and justify your misery as serving the lord.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:06AM

So they pray to dead "saints" now? How very Catholic.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 05:35AM

You could of asked him what Hinkley had said when he asked him about the calling...

Or, you could have said "As a Temple President do you automatically receive a Second Annointing?"

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:42AM

Let me get this straight...he had three names for the president and two of them were dead? He must not have prayed about this or the spirit would have let him know that.

Or maybe the HG can't tell the difference between the earthly world and the spirit world?

Or as someone said: He is as good as a dead person?

This is hilarious.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 11:29AM

Holy Awesome! Work FOR the dead, done BY the dead.

Then they don't even need to dead-dunk, they just need to write on paper that the spirits in the temple did it for them.

Lol.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:52AM

I probably would have said "You can have my permission, if it will help."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 09:08AM

Here's what I would have said. "It's good you found something to get you out of the house. When my grandfather got old, he got a job as a greater at Walmart, and it was the best thing that ever happened for him. Kept him active, and helped keep his mind sharp." Yes, I would of compared being a temple president to being a Walmart greater. The difference of course is that a Walmart greater actually does something useful with his time.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:37PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.