Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:14AM

A TBM recently told me that if Romney wins, there will be an unprecedented increase in Mormon converts.

My response: "You mean the kind of increase the Quakers had when Nixon was elected?"

*crickets*

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:17AM

Maybe an increased awareness of what 'mormonism' is? Which of course isn't really favorable...

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:34AM

Yes, an increased awareness is already happening. But for sure there will be people out there who can't think for themselves, and will figure if Mitt is Mormon, "I should be too".

There won't be a significant number of those folks. Mitt will definitely be bad for the cojcolds.

Posted by: dareuslikeparis ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:52PM

I agree! This could bring TSSC under such scrutiny that those fat-cat liar-leaders will have nowhere to hide.

One can dream, can't they?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:38AM

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:50PM

This Romney thing has made some of them insufferable. They just *know* he's going to get elected and as a result people will be rushing to the baptismal fonts.

I just wanted to inject a good dose of reality, with historical perspective, into their know-it-all bubbles.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:57PM

I think some people will join inspired by Romney but it's a double-edged sword. I think just as many members will likely leave because the church will undergo more scrutiny and publicity with news media coverage, PBS-type specials, etc. and more people will see the other side of the church that they don't know about yet.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:03PM

I think by the time Nixon was elected all the Moon Quakers were extinct.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:11PM

Did ANY Mormons become Catholic when Kennedy won?

Posted by: terrydactyl ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 09:04PM

As a nevermo I can say I came to this site because I wanted to find out more about Mitt's beliefs. from reading the posts here you can guess my conclusions. So if I came here think about how many other nevermos are here to find out. In short this site is a forum to outsiders on Mitt's world.

To be fair I did visit FAIR. My opinion of it is another story.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 09:19PM

What part was the craziest to you? There is a lot to choose from!

A lot of us here didn't know near as much about true mormonism as you probably do now during our own time in it. It is infuriating how much they bury and hide from the members.

I'm glad you came here for some info instead of the puff pieces the news is showing.

Posted by: terrydactyl ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 09:55PM

In reference to FAIR, I like to cut to the chaise and looked at their entry on JS and polygamy.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Polygamy

The Criticism section correctly points out 6 charge on the issue. Then the Conclusion section addresses none of them and proceeds to attack critics. Following some links the best they could say is "no one's found any offspring from these wives".

In summary LDS: 0 EXMO:1.

A look at a few more issues and it was the same thing.

In comparison this site's documentation is right to the point.

So keep in mind, your audience is broader than you think.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:23PM

Personally, I don't think Mitt has a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

However, if he actually does win, you can bet your bottom tithing dollar that there will be a huge increase in convert baptisms -- especially among political animals.

Think back to the 1970's when the Osmonds were big. How many folks converted for no other reason than Donny was cute as a button?

Mitt's not cute, but people who want government jobs will do what ever they have to do to get them -- even join TSCC. This has always been the case in Utah and Idaho, now it will be the case in Washington too.

Money and power are much bigger motivators than cute teenage singers, and yes -- both can bring the converts in in droves.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 10:43PM

i vote for adverse effect. more apostasies

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:23PM

More insufferable Mormons if Romney wins.

Susan

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.