Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kellie ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 12:21PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 12:25PM

A long boring video about the creation of the world and Adam and Eve. Throughout it there are instructions about secret handshakes and wearing some funny costumes. There are lots of promises you make to obey various commandments.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 12:32PM

Kellie - nickname gave you the real deal answer. The mormon answer is that it is a super sacred (read, secret) ceremony in the mormon temple you go through to eventually bring about your eternal salvation in the next life.

More read deal info..you have NO idea what you are in for when going into it. All you are told is how sacred it is and that is about it. In my opinion its very wrong to make people sign up for something so binding that they have NO disclosure about before hand what they are signing up for. During the ceremony they promise they are ok with being killed if they reveal the things told to them during the ceremony and do chants and learn handshakes (very cultish) that they believe they will have to know to get into heaven in the next life.

I assume you are a nevermo ?

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 12:48PM

The whole "agreeing to be killed if you reveal the secrets" part has been removed from the ceremony relatively recently.

You do still promise to give everything you are, have, and ever will posses to the church, though. Without being given any time to consider the implications of such a promise.

Posted by: kellie ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 05:00PM

i was over whemed when i met missionaries as i had strong faith and was happy, i wanted to be baptised but now only 3 months later i'v never felt so wrong and lost that special somet i had before, i want out and when i'm asked yet again whats up i will be telling them, i have not been told to much in what they believe into recently and i'm alone on this no family members just me,

Date: August 26, 2012 06:02PM

It really sucks that they fool people into joining the way they do. It is so far from full disclosure it should be illegal.

The show Big Love did a reenactment of the mormon endowment ceremony you can find on youtube called "inside a mormon temple big love" by NYCAustinNYC

If they ask you why you are leaving tell them because you realized you joined a cult and now you are getting the hell out.

If you haven't already dug into all the historical problems with mormonism a good place to start is mormonthink.com

Date: August 26, 2012 06:04PM

Also I recommend you go through the formal name removal process so that they know you are serious and so you can claim to no longer be a person on their records they feel they are free to contact. here is some info:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Posted by: Serendiptiyhappens ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 09:04PM

No family members in TSCC, only three months in? Lucky you! I know you might feel a bit embarrassed for being duped, but you figured it out in only three months.. Took me three DECADES to discover the truth!

Just tell them to leave you alone, you studied more about the church and you are withdrawing your membership. Make sure you have your name removed from the records so that they will not follow up with you anymore.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 12:38PM

I never had my endowment, but I was surprised to find out in my research that the initial reason it was secret is because it was for the purpose of conducting polygamous marriages, which were still hidden from the members. Joseph and a few select were being "sealed" to multiple women. The original temple ceremony was quite bland (washing, etc..) Only after brother Joe felt the need to start marrying multiple (some under age) women, did the ceremony become "sacred" and thus secret.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 05:21PM

Good question, Kellie, and I'm glad you're on your way out.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 06:37PM

Soooo glad I never got that far. Temple stuff woulda bored the $hit out of me.....and I would have probably been asked to leave and not return....

Ron Burr

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 09:18PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 11:26PM

Excellent web sites to get informed and know what you are promising to do with your life.
I am a proponent of more information given by the LDS CHurch on the temple and not holding back anything. I'm for Full Disclosure not general statements.

Religions often have "secret-sacred" rituals. The LDS Church does also.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.