Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:13PM

I had a phone call today from a woman in California who wants to help her parents get out. They have been members for over 30 years, and are now in their 80s. Several months ago her mother's purse was stolen at church while she was doing her calling, and the bishop did nothing about it. So she was so upset she started going to a different church. But the bishop kept coming over and harassing the old folks. They were getting very upset by his visits, and the guilt trips he was laying on them.

The daughter called the bishop and told him to stop bothering her parents. He said he had every right to visit them whenever he wanted to. So she wants to help them resign. She told that to the bishop, and he said that he didn't have to let them resign, since they had to get their names removed through him.

I walked her through the letter process, and told her to send the signed letters to Greg Dodge. I then asked her if she was still a member. She said that she "simply left" many years ago. I pointed out that she is probably still on their records. So she'll write a letter for herself. Then she said she would contact her brother, who hasn't been to church in years, but never resigned, and have him write his letter.

So that's four out in one day.

I also suggested that she should call the bishop and tell him that if he doesn't stop bothering her parents, she will report him to the police for harassment and contact the local newspaper about how the Mormons harass people who want to leave. I pointed out that sometimes you simply have to be rude to them, and that if you start using filthy language at them, they will not want to have anything more to do with you. So, I said, "Tell the bishop to go fuck himself!" She laughed and said she would try that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:17PM

Awesome....

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:24PM

Yay!!!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:26PM

Nice. But honestly, I can't believe that bishop's attitude. What a jerk.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:43PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:46PM

I think the bishops attitude started with JS. He appointed himself king, and then proceeded to order everyone around.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:52PM

If the jerk comes around after he was told not to do that - this is elder abuse.

Report him to the authorties for harrassing the old folks over money.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:53PM

"authorities"

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:53PM

No one has such a right! What a jerk!

At least he's responsible for getting four more out today.

Posted by: mysticma ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 04:01PM

That bishop has such a penishood attitude. Good advice with using bad language. It really works. It once got me four new tires when I had my tires slashed in the church parking lot. I was the dreaded single mother. During a sacrament meeting that I had attended to watch my two young children perform in, my tires were slashed in the sidewalls! I marched in the bishops office and told him he could f@@king buy me four new tires on the spot or I was calling the FBI since the crime had happend on church property. But I was done with the bull sh@t. Within the next two hours of the church block meetings I had four new tires on my ten year old car! Of course I went in "his" bishops office like a crazy swearing woman, but what the hell.

These poor senior citizens have been taken advantage of. Hope this bishop sees some of his own karma.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 04:02PM

We have them in Florida...

Could it not be argued that that type of response from the Bishop (the official church representative) is exploitative? Especially if he is after tithing and maybe inheritance monies?

This instance may not cross over the line of exploitation of the elderly...but it has to be close...

It may be though that they have to resign to get that protection huh... :(

Just sayiN!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 04:05PM

Posted by: Rachel Midtovne ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 04:58PM

Whoop Whoop!

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 05:30PM

That is ridiculous. Thank goodness they have a daughter who will protect them and try to have their wishes respected. I would say that is definitely being abusive to a vulnerable adult if he keeps visiting after they have asked him not to. He probably wants to keep collecting tithing on their Social Security checks. She would definitely have cause for legal action if the bishop will not process their resignations and keeps visiting them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 05:31PM by dazed11.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 05:45PM

Believe me! I totally understand the need and desire to use foul language to communicate with thick skulled MORmONS. with that in mind, wile the F word can get their attention, other words that they consider sacred can hit even harder.

I am at the stage of my life where MORmONS dont even toy with the idea of asking me to go to their church. Because, since they "desire all to receive" and the temple ceremony is so great,
I will just be repeating those things from the temple ceremony very often at church, as "PAY LAY ALE, MORmONS, HEALTH IN THE NAVEL! HEALTH IN THE NAVEL!" Or constant reminders that Joe SMith had sex with 14 and 15 year old girls.

SOme how the MORmON message isnt as pleasant as MORmONS insist that it is when the entire message is considered.

MORmONS have nothing to hide they insist, but they dont want to actually ride that pony either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcyR7Qv_1o

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 09:40PM

yay!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 10:13PM

He didn't even try to get her purse back!!? I would think next Sunday's sermon would have been 'thou shall not steal'. I'm glad they're resigning. Many states have laws against elderly abuse and a department to handle such complaints.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 10:22PM

Mormon bishops especially "protect" old people from their own children because they are after a chunk of the estate. They will do such things as drop by and tell the folks to be sure that their stock is signed over to the church rather than sold. Just an FYI, they will say, but it opens the door to a manipulative meeting in which the bishop says things like, "Just in case you weren't able to serve a senior mission and would have wanted to, it's a way you can show your gratitude to the Lord for all the blessings he has given you..."

Yes, in a final burst of greed, the same church that took these parents away from their children, the same that took what could have been their college fund, seizes the inheritance that could have provided the old couple's children with their own house in which to raise their children.

They have no shame whatsoever.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.