Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 05:08PM

S Coke of yore was made with sugar. Today's sweeteners are synthetic and chemically questionable. How funny is is that when it was made with more natural ingredients it was forbidden, and today is not ok. Maybe it is more like anti-revelation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 03, 2012 05:09PM

So the iPad is a little hard to type on this afternoon.... Sorry about the poor spelling above...

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 05:14PM

unless you live anywhere but the US, where it's still made with sugar.

If I only lived closer to Canada or Mexico....

Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 06:45PM

I can get my hands on cane sugar Coke and Pepsi, but I live near the US-Mexico border....I don't know if you can find the stuff in bodegas in the Midwest, though you can find it at certain stores on the East Coast.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 07:50PM

Most of the spanish stores sell it with cane sugar. It's really yummy

Posted by: Serendiptiyhappens ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 05:16PM

To me even more ironic is that drinking Mountain Dew with HFCS, Brominated vegetable oil, EDTA and Yellow No. 5 is fine, but 100% natural and healthful minimally oxidized green tea is still verboten. Word of "wisdom" my ass.

Date: September 03, 2012 05:17PM

Maybe Tommy's diet coke habit is frying his brain with aspartame. Would not that be funny?

I just returned from Africa and the sodas there were great, and it was all sugar.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 05:32PM

a study that was reported on a talk radio show in the morning.

A study was just completed that showed that 2 cups of coffee a day is very helpful to the body. More than two, you get too much caffine. There are certain drugs in the coffee bean that aid the body in fighting certain diseases. (I forgot most of them but one of them was high blood pressure so I was interested in what they said.)

Then Gods true Church comes out and says caffine is okay. The study said caffine in a very limited amount is okay. 2 cups, no more, no less. Yet the church says avoid "hot drinks" meaning tea and coffee.

I grew up in the Church and was told not to drink tea or coffee because they contained caffine. I listened to general conference talks that told us not to drink cafinated drinks. I grew up and was told to avoid the look of evil.

So I guess ice tea and coffee drinks are okay now to drink as they are not hot.

This stuff this week is a real testimony builder that the Church is NOT guided by revelation but by public opinion.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 05:22PM

Taking in as much sugar as Coke or other soda has seems like a bad idea, and the trouble is that some people don't know what moderation is. The weird artificial sweeteners they've come up with in the diet versions are still a wild card because of possible delayed health effects.

I like Coke, but when they sell it in 20 ounce vending bottles I'm tempted to drink too much at a sitting... which is exactly what the seller wants you to do!

I consume all the things that the TSCC forbids except tobacco. It never seems to hurt me as long as I don't overdo it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 05:31PM

I've heard that Aspertine, which I have no idea how to spell, is actually a mild anti-depressant. A diet coke will make you feel better. It's probably also way more addictive then caffeine, for this reason, and probably does not help your depression when you come off of it.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 07:54PM

I'm not sure of the reason, but Diet Coke does seem to be more addictive than regular Coke or even Diet Pepsi. This is just based on my own experience and observations of other pop drinkers.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 07:56PM

I am sure of the spelling because I just copied it off the label of the diet coke I am drinking right now. :-)

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 06:51PM

It's legal now? Let me find my little spoon...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.