Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 04:17PM

What if the LDS prophets and apostles finally confess that Joseph Smith was a fraud and :

- Denounce the Book of Mormon. Forget all the other modern revelations too. Let's focus on what we have - the Bible - perfect or not.
- Only induce a one-hour sacrament meeting, and children programs like the other churches.
- "Coffee service"-like mingle activities after these meetings - great for true fellow-shipping.
- Volunteer , not assigned callings, for the ministries
- Denounce the temple ordinances, but convert the temples to public, sacred sanctuaries. Meaningful wedding ceremonies can also be held there. Everyone is invited
- Only hire paid clergy to offer professional services - counselling, preaching, "bishoping". No more nerve wrecking talks given by members.
- Doctrine will be non-denominational. We have to accept that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is what we have presently. It's based on living a good, loving and service-filled life. No more attacking other beliefs, religions, etc. We could even provide meaningful services for people of other faiths.

I have a dream!
Post your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hk112358 ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 04:33PM

My vision of the future church is like this:
Picture today's church like a fully clothed man.
Next, picture the future church like a pair of empty shoes.
The difference?
The future church is just today's church with the sh*t kicked out of it!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 04:54PM

Here's what I always wondered about the Ten Commandments… How come there wasn't anything in the Big Ten about getting along with each other? Why would they leave those out? Being nice to each other, Helping one another out, not treating each other like crap, you know, the really important stuff?

So, arrogant old mutt that I am, I thought of some additions I'd like God to make...
You can call 'em the CANINE COMMANDMENTS.

I tried to make em like the old ones, or like the BBoM, phrasing wise.
----------------------------------------------------
11. Thou really art NO better than anyone else, so thou shalt not behave as if thou art. Thou art not the boss, okay? I AM.

12. Thou shalt not hurt each other, especially creatures that are weaker, smaller, or more vulnerable than thou.

13. Thou shalt not hate others for stupid reasons like skin color, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, or anything else.

14. Thou shalt not use thy lousy childhood or bad experiences in the past as an excuse to be a d-bag, an enema bag, or any kind bag, or as a bludgeon to hit people over the head. Thou are to use thy bad experiences as a tool to understand and help other people who are in the same boat!

15. Thou shalt not make a smelly awful disgusting dungheap of this planet that I have given thee for thy use. Thou shalt clean up thy messes.

16. Thou shalt not use thy religion- ANY religion, this means THOU- as a weapon, a bludgeon, a whip, or as a license to be a pain in the ass. Does thou really think all thy fancy rituals and pretty wording are anything but a big old yawnfest to Me? I mean come on, how many million times a day for eternity?

17. Thou shalt be nice to each other. Nice as in kind. Help each other out already! Thou can whine to me all thou want but HELP EACH OTHER.

And finally...

18. See how annoying all this thee and thou talk is? KNOCK IT OFF, okay?
So… whaddaya think?

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 05:07PM

Thanks for the laugh :)

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 05:12PM

Excellent.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 06:18PM

Commandment number one ..... Be excellent to each other !

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 06:45PM

Visions in my head of Bill and Ted.....
Awesome!!!!!!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 05:05PM

There is a precedence for this in the Worldwide Church of God (now Grace Communion International) founded by Herbert Armstrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Communion_International

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 05:36PM

The lies and bullshit that are LDSInc began and continue to be a system of control. IT IS NOT A CHURCH. It is a business. If they do not preserve the crap that makes it LDSInc they can not demand the amounts of money and free service and money that they want. They operate on the premise that to those that much is given much is expected. It is already so watered down that after 30+ years out I hardly recognize it. If they mainstream much more people will just go to other churches that demand less and that, they can not have.

I have predicted that there will be a split at one point. Much like what has happened with the Jewish religion. There will be "Temple Mormons" that stick to the current rules and supply the money and man power that the machine demands and then off shoots that hold to some of the tenants but are split from the machine of LDSInc.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 06:30PM

Isn't there a commandment that says "Love thy neighbor as thy self"? It seems to be pretty clear.

Aside: I am a nevermo who has lived and taught where there are many mormons with a lot of influence, but who coexist relatively well with the nevermos--at least as seen from the outside. I have been curious for a long time about how intelligent, well-educated people can continue to believe what has always seemed to me to be preposterous. I finally understand. If you refuse to even cast your eyes on any information that MIGHT POSSIBLY be contrary to the party line and go "NANANANA" when anyone speaks about history, geology, climate change etc., you will maintain this state of living in an absolute fantasy.

Date: September 08, 2012 06:37PM

I'm sorry, I should be clear that I am coming to understand the depth of the brainwashing and conditioning that mormons have been subjected to. It makes it so most people can't even see that the key to escape the cage that is mormonism is in their own hand.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 06:54PM

In your dreams. the morg has it too good to spill the beans to everyone. one reason is cash flow and free labor and celebrity status for GAs

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 07:03PM

Why exactly are we ditching the Book of Mormon and keeping the Bible?

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 07:11PM

Yeah really. Why dump one rubbish book if nonsense and keep another.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 07:07PM

All the buildings sold off, gutted, and converted to small businesses, day care, or kindergartens. Temples turned into hotels.

Leadership tried for defrauding millions of people of their money and time. Gay suicides apologised for.

The people love themselves and become happy.

Mormonism forgotten except by scholars of ancient and dead cults.

Date: September 08, 2012 07:34PM

I guess what is so shocking about TSCC (am I correct in assuming this means "the so-called church"?) is both how insidious it is and the way that it bludgeons those who question it. I was raised catholic and left while in college when I could not stomach the patriarchy. The TSCC is the catholic church on steroids but so much more organized and, therefore, totally scarey! It's like the way the nazis were so organized and relentless in their quest to obliterate the Jews and others.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 09:44PM

Backward and getting smaller....'cuz it was in the rearview mirror.

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:33PM

Why dream? The church I've gone to a couple of times here for Christmas and stuff has Starbucks and sometimes cinnamon buns.

The day that the LDS church does the same time is the day when I still won't come back.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:56PM

I wish it would convert to a family fraternal social club, but I'm not holding my breath. So far, the best LDS Church I can imagine is one without me in it. And that feels pretty good.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 11:02PM

You should look into a Methodist or Episcopal church. Have to warnyou, though. There's still the usual collection of freaks and bullies. It's slightly easier to ignore them.

Posted by: Wandering ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 12:39AM

And missions will now be one year and be service missions and will be paid for through donations.
And there will be yearly financial reports, detailing all expenditures. Properties such as malls and hunting reserves will be sold to fund the new mission of the church to dig wells and provide clean drinking water to underdeveloped communities.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 12:58AM

And they will come up with a restitution to be paid to the victims of their sins.

They will be sorry and show it with apologies, restitution, and sincere penitence.

They will come clean about their sins, and tell the unadulterated truth.

their sorrow and grief for what they have inflicted on others will be obvious and sincere.

That is the only way I can forgive what the Mormon church has done to me and 7 generations of my family and millions of others.

They do not have the courage to match the demands they make on their own.

Posted by: Another heretic here again ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 08:03PM

You realize, you just invented the church JS originally joined, before he messed with it with his freako sci fi fantasy of his own importance. I attended that church today, while my neighbors were all having their brains re-melted at the COJCOLDS. Methodists are very similar to Mormons in their culture, but they: vote on stuff; forbid shaming with regard to belief; let you leave when you want; support service missions; publish financial reports.

Yummy casseroles, loving conversation, and hugs from the elderly continue! Delete those icky songs about prophets and guilt and "worthiness". Embrace songs about grace and community.

Score.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.