Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 01:56AM

Just interested because of some weird happennings. There has been a lot of - demanding proof of God's existence, or absolute proof that He/She /It - does not exist .. But has anyone on the board had unexplained phenominum or totally out of this world bizarre coincedences. These have no logical or reasonable explanations, but nonetheless they definitely happend to you. You know like the old Radio program "The Twilight Zone"

JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 02:02AM

My weird experience is that I have lived long enough to see someone say that "The Twilight Zone" was a radio show. It was a TV show, and it was in black and white and the narrator, Rod Serling, smoked enough cigarettes to stun an ox.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 02:06AM

I did that once. I don't think anyone believed it. Doesn't matter. It still happened.

Posted by: FreeThinker ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 02:21AM

There isn't proof that god exists. There's especially no proof that he doesn't exist, because you can't prove a negative. My belief is that he most probably doesn't exist. Phenomena that seems strange or inexplicable always has an explanation. It's just sometimes not readily apparent.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 09:58AM

God is neither provable nor disprovable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 08:51AM

I was living in Colorado at the time, but in town where there were a normal number of lights from houses, front porches, etc. So the night sky was usually reasonably clear and starry, but not as starry as you would see up on a mountaintop. One night I remember looking out my window at the night sky. Everything looked normal except for a small circular patch right in front of me. Looking at that small patch was like looking through the Hubble telescope at the Deep Field image -- many, many more stars than I would normally expect to see.

It was probably some atmospheric anomaly. But it was beautiful and memorable.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 09:31AM

I remember one night, while on vacation, I looked up at the night sky, and there were all these thousands of tiny points of light slowly floating across the sky. Freaked me out, until someone told me that there was a nearby military base doing flare testing, and that they had announced in the papers they would be doing it for months.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 09:48AM

It was one of those long box kites, and it had gotten away. I was about ten years old, and it was during that UFO craze after the Close Encounters movie. It looked kind of gray and metallic in the distance, and it was long and looked like it was constructed with girders. I was standing out in the street with a bunch of other kids watching it. We couldn't figure out what it was. So, it could only have been an alien spacecraft. It was many years before I finally figured out what it was.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 09:59AM

A small thing, but I haven't been able to explain it:

I had lost a necklace and thought I'd probably never see it again. Comes Sunday, and just as I put my foot on the first step of the ward building stairs, I see _in my mind_ as a quick flash, how my necklace is hanging on the bulletin board.

I went in, took off my coat, and went to the bb. And there it was, just as I had seen it in my mind. I never even found out who had found it and pinned it up on the bb.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 10:20AM

I experienced a timeslip, where it seemed like ~10 minutes passed and then I went back and went through the same ~10 minutes again.
It was curiously interesting,
however
I dont believe it had any objective reality, outside of my subjective experience.........just a mindfart.

If someone says that had a weird experience, my view is that they simply experienced something that was either subjective (misinterpretation/hallucination) or that they dont have the understanding to be able to explain it (eg, knowledge of modern aircraft, or knowledge of weather phenomena)

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 09:34AM

This is where I fall too. There is always a rational explanation, even should one choose not to accept it.

When I was a child, I used to believe very firmly that I could swap bodies with people but had gotten stuck in this one, also constantly felt like I was awakening from a dream all day long, and if I closed my eyes I could immediately see myself from a different vantage point, as if I was 'astral projecting' or seeing myself through someone else's vantage point.

Turns out these are all common reactions in children to childhood trauma and extreme stress.
Whenever I tried to bring any of this up to my parents(because this was all very troubling!) who should have gotten me help, their reaction was either to twist it into a spiritual experience or poke fun at my 'imagination'.
I thought I was going crazy(I was), but sometimes they'd regale the extended family with tales of my 'spirituality' or jokes about my 'vivid imagination'. Imagine having very troublesome experiences described in front of you to others as either very mystical or just plain funny.
Yes, add to the stress, thanks mom.

Posted by: Euan Franklin ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 07:23AM

I was waling down the street one day when all of a sudden, right there before was God and his good sone jesus. They told me that they wanted me to believe as I WAS an athiest. We went all around the world together and now I am a strong believer.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:58AM

Everything can or one day will be explained by science.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 09:09AM

Just wondering why you bring the two ideas together: proof of the existence of God and weird experiences. Or am I reading too much into your initial post?

Posted by: Marcos ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 09:48AM

I was once surrounded by people who believed in an ancient civilization on this continent descended from Jews. They believed this lost civilization disappeared without a trace and left a golden book which their leader could translate by putting a stone in a hat. This lost civilization had been visited by Jesus. They had a lot of other weird beliefs that were easy to disprove, yet they went on believing. It was like living among people under a mass delusion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.