Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 08:42AM

As the new managing editor at MT, and to encourage developing MormonThink with credibility and with pertinent information & experiences, I have decided I will renew my attendance at my assigned ward in Central Florida. I don't know if this is long term or not, but I am a member of record without blemish on my membership except inactivity in recent years.

Can any of you offer advice on how to handle a return? I do not even know if my suit still fits...

I will try to write a weekly blog about my experiences attending from my new found perspective, and will post them where I believe members can benefit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 08:49AM by mormonthinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 09:15AM

You don't have to wear a suit.

Love that site, it was instrumental in my recent departure, following my husband out after 3 weeks. I enjoy the different perspectives, allowing one to see the arguments on both sides and choose for oneself.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 09:26AM

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 04:26PM

Good for you mormomthinker and thank you for your contributions with this website.

My advice on your return is to simply tell everyone that you missed church, you missed the fellowship, and that you wanted to get your life back onto a more spiritual note. That's it.

The bigger question for you will be if you attempt to become 'temple worthy'. If you want to get back into the temple and write about those experiences, you will have to lie to your Bishop. I did for the past few years, but for different reasons. If you need more advice on this just post specific questions here and we'll help. For example, there are ways to not pay tithing and still claim that you did without having this reported locally and showing up in the MLS database. Your Bishop may ask (but shouldn't) why they show '0' on your tithing contributions and yet claim to be a full tithe payer.

Best of luck!

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 04:51PM

man, you must be one of those artistic types of people who puts themselves in really raw, strange, uncomfortable situations in order to gain a new perspective to develop new inspirations for your work, I can only admire and pity you, your website is great by the way.

Date: September 07, 2012 10:28AM

Thanks all.

Cheryl, the audience for this venture are curious and troubled TBMs. At MT we try very hard to be balanced and fair, but completely honest about the history, science and other facts.

Going to church, as current managing editor (other editors are not returning, are resigned or completely out) is for me to both build perspective (as footdoc pointed out, I am an artistic type, but also work in science) and to increase MT credibility--that an attending mormon is actually one of the essential staff at MT. Most contributors to MT that are active are not for very long once all the information is viewed objectively.

I do not plan to be temple worthy at this time.

I will write a blog about my weekly experience, as more of a human experience piece from the perspective of a returning, very doubtful member.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 01:24PM

Date: September 10, 2012 10:28AM

I wanted to add, for the record that there are actually several active members writing at MT. For example two of the writers on our Polygamy article are very active and true-believing mormons.

I am a recent active member, but I have my doubts. Some would claim that my posting here invalidates my FAIRness, but I believe that MT is balanced with individuals from all points of the mormon spectrum.

That's not something FAIR or other organizations can say. When they criticize MT, they attack a diverse set of people from a narrow point of view that is absolutely biased toward defending the church. MT is devoted to exploring both sides. The articles typically give the pro-LDS and historical LDS perspective right at the top. The critical view comes later. We don't hide it, but we don't only emphasize it either.

This kind of credibility is important because members believe that crossing the line over even by an inch will cause them to become demons. We know this isn't true. But the church and FAIR will use fear tactics and labelling us with improper motives in order to keep members away from a balanced view.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 10:32AM

When I returned Dec-Jan this year, they required I take the misshies' lessons.

Best of Luck, wow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 04:34PM by mindlight.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 10:39AM

Had you previously resigned and needed to be baptized again?

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 10:51AM

I specifically asked that. I was told No, I didn't need to be baptized again but still had to take the lessons. Gospel Principles too, I think it was. 3hr block, I just did and went where they told me to :)

I had left in good standing although not TBM about 20 years ago. Just faded away and went inactive.

When I decided to go back I went to the nearest church. Turned out I went to the wrong ward and they made sure people contacted me from my proper ward. I felt like a total outsider that first Sunday because I went to the wrong location ... lol... silly me. poo on them

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 10:40AM

You could stick toothpicks under your toenails - might be more of a pleasant sensation.

Kidding.

In all honesty, depending on who your bishop is, you could be setting yourself up for a love court, if you really are honest with science, church history, etc. I suppose it depends on how much you disclose to your fellow TBMs every Sunday.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 10:45AM

I mean...if they go to that site will they know it is you that runs the site?
just wondering!

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 11:08AM

I hate to see you go back! You will have to keep us posted on life as an active member :)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 03:18PM

You don’t have to give them anything to work with to judge you. Wear a white shirt and non eye attracting tie.

Just smile a lot and when the Bish comes up and shakes your hand and gives ya a little slap on the back just slap his right back and say “It’s good to be here”. It just won’t be the kind of good the Bish is thinking about.

P.S. Mormon Think is the Tops!

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 04:46PM

Hello! I didnt know who was in charge of mormonthink, nice to meet you!! I read your entire website last year. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. For about a week, I would literally came home and read it until I went to sleep. Thank you so much :). This site is the reason my friend found the truth, then told and shared it with me. I recommened it to anyone who has questions.

Date: September 09, 2012 08:39PM

There are many many contributors to MT, and some have sacrificed a lot to do so. I am just one of many, and currently the attending member whose face is public.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 08:21PM

I think it would be interesting if you turned it into a social study of sorts as well. Do things that are out of the norm, but not enough to get you in trouble and document what kind of reactions you get.
Also, mormonthink is great and I really appreciate the effort that has gone into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 08:21PM by dogeatdog.

Date: September 09, 2012 08:37PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 09:26PM

How you're going to be able to do this, i'm not sure.
Myself, I couldn't do it. It's emotional abuse.

If you can keep the mind set that you are studying and observing without letting it do damage maybe you can do it for a while.

Your willingness to go and observe will probably be a huge help to the people who are leaving, and need someone who is able to understand exactly how they have been manipulated and lied to.

Your example in the lesson manual was good. The church teaching that if you leave you will no longer be able to think clearly. What a crazy thing to teach people. The church is full of fear. Teachings like that make people fearful, and judgmental.

Posted by: postmormongirl ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 08:41PM

Looking forward to hearing your perspective - I often wonder if I should go back just to see how things have changed. But then I get really tense at just the idea of stepping foot into a ward building and I realize I can't. (Plus I have a feeling they have a very extensive file on me, considering that I have told multiple authorities figures that I don't believe in God or the Book of Mormon)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:30AM

The only advice I would offer is, wear a blue shirt.
Always, always, wear a blue shirt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.