Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 10:46PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 10:58PM

Love it!

Dawkins in brutal.

I've got to hand to Mr. Flowers for being able to perform after that. Such a feat takes fortitude.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 01:51AM by archytas.

Posted by: otherlives ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:13PM

That was great--wish they could have talked longer. "Uh...You should do your research" to Richard Dawkins...LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 11:27PM by otherlives.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:49PM

otherlives Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was great--wish they could have talked
> longer. "Uh...You should do your research" to
> Richard Dawkins...LOL

Oh dear. He just gave all the programmed answers. Looks like poor Brandon is the one who needs to do his research.

Date: September 09, 2012 11:51PM

I know, right?
Brutal....

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:09AM

bringing a knife into a gun fight.

but undeserved. Hopefully soon Brandon will look down and wonder why he's sitting on a ferret.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:14PM

Its always going to be a spectacular moment when a kid who focused on playing a guitar and dancing super good gets a chance to meet an intelligent lifetime scholar like Dawkins. It was truly a show of elitist-brainwashed-ignorance when he told Dawkins to get his facts straight and do some research.

I wish the host of the show hadn't ushered him off to do his performance as the court jester so quickly.....it seemed as if it was about to get really good if he had just let Dawkins continue to challenge his small view of reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 11:18PM by upsidedown.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:22PM

I couldn't even watch it.

I generally really like Dawkins but the phrase, 'pick on someone your own size' came to my mind.

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:28PM

Yeah, kind of like an adult picking on a kid in a sandbox.

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:38PM

If you chance to tickle the nose of a tiger, be prepared to lose your hand.

I agree that Dawkins took the opportunity to make Flowers look foolish and Brandon was obviously taken off guard.

But isn't this the same Brandon Flowers who voluntarily lent his name, fame, and game in an "I'm a Mormon" production? He became fair game after that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 12:07AM by flanders.

Date: September 09, 2012 11:46PM

flanders Wrote:
> But isn't this the same Brandon Flowers who
> voluntarily lent his name, persona, and testimony
> in an "I'm a Mormon" production? He became fair
> game after that.

Ah! I had no idea about that (I live in Canada and those ads don't exist where I live). I thought Brandon Flowers was just a musician who happened to be mormon.

Thanks for pointing that out, flanders.

I'll give the clip another go.

Date: September 10, 2012 12:06AM

spaghetti oh,oh

Here's his ChurchCo contribution:

http://mormon.org/me/5233

Date: September 10, 2012 12:18AM

Well, both that and the clip in the OP now viewed, I'm happy to say that I enjoyed seeing Dawkins rip him a new one! :D

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:32PM

to save his ass.
I mean, come on... why did he have to go "prepare" for a performance that was 15-20 minutes away? I call BALDERDASH!
His "bandmates" (no doubt his agent) didn't want to watch him get eviscerated by Dawkins on a big tv show, and put a quick stop to it.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:39PM

I fail to see why anyone listens to a word dawkins has to say. He's a wack job of the highest order.

I've listened to a lot of ideas. Not impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOv0EcLC0F0

Date: September 09, 2012 11:44PM

Mia,
I'm a huge fan of your contributions to this forum, but frankly that was just juvenile.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:53PM

tl;dr verson:

dawkins: Joseph Smith was a convicted con man

flowers: I'm offended

Posted by: Jehovah ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:08AM

I enjoyed watching him squirm. I would like to see more of this type of stuff.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:26AM

That was painful to watch. I actually felt sorry for him.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:31AM

Date: September 10, 2012 01:37AM

Word.
I would pay BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ To see that...

Posted by: 'Non for now ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:31AM

Definitely had his as$ handed to him. I have met Brandon Flowers and attended church with him. A spectacularly nice guy. Returned to church when he got married--his wife took the discussions after his mom encouraged her. Both great people, but I wonder if he knew he was going to get thrown to the wolves there. The Scandinavians could probably have asked just as many awkward questions, but to be tossed out in front of Dawkins who is certainly going to call a spade a spade? Good heavens.

I wonder if he regrets doing the "I'm a Mormon" bit now?

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:32AM

They had to throw him out. I wanted more debate!! Too bad. Poorly planned show IMO. Dawkins was his usual kick ass self. Why does Flowers think the BOM has been torn apart and thinks it withstood the tests? Only thing I can think of is some GA told him so.

Date: September 10, 2012 01:33AM

Tragic :(

Posted by: 2moreyears ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 03:54AM

I'm not a big fan of Richard Dawkins. I think he is as closed-minded as the religious people he disagress with.

For example, he has been quoted many times saying that religions have created the greatest genocides in history. But the truth is, atheism has. Look at communism -- by very conservative estimates, it killed 100 million people in one century. The Catholic inquisition, on the other side, killed 100 thousand people over 5 centuries. There's plenty of historical research that shows this.

You might say it's not a matter of numbers, but then Dawkins' argument is still crashed. Atheism is as destructive, socially speaking, as religion.

Plus, Dawkins has never really been able to prove scientifically that God does not exist. He has never came up with a theory that explains the origin of the universe that answers all the questions. His argument basically reduces itself to "No one can prove that God exists; therefore, he does not exist". Anyone with a basic grasp of logic knows that this is as fallacious as "I feel that God exists; therefore, God exists".

Based on this, I think he should be more humble when talking to people. He acts as if his arguments are so new and original - but for God's sake, they have been around for thousands of years. Religious people can't prove anything, scientists can't prove anything, so they should both be humble and respect each other. But Dawkins is famous for his lack of respect towards most religious people. He was rude to Brandon Flowers, and Flowers answered in a rude way as well.

Plus, I don't think he "humiliated" Flowers in any way. Come on guys, "I have" isn't anything that "humilating".

And all of this is coming from someone who considers himself an atheist. :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 04:31AM

What about the genocides in central and southern America? What about the Crusades?

What about half of Europe's history, filled with wars about... religion.

My family were French Huguenots forced to flee to Britain in the 17th century because of Catholic repression (including killing).

You may be an atheist, but your facts are wrong.

And asking Dawkins to come up with an alternative theory to theism is ridiculous.

It is perfectly possible to understand that womething is incorrect/false without having a solution to the problem oneself.

I can detect an error in a mathematical stateme nt without knowing the ultimate solution.

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 04:31AM by Soft Machine.

Date: September 10, 2012 05:00AM

You can sum up all of those facts and you will not find 100 million people (which again, represent a conservative sum of the killings of communism). Plus, any serious student of the conquest of America knows that the Catholic church was always against the widespread killing of natives that happened, so no one can seriously attribute them to it. The records are just there. No one tried to protect natives in Brazil, for example, like the Jesuits did.

If Dawkins doesn't have to disprove religion, then why should religion have to prove itself?

I am not saying he should be discredited for never been able to disprove theories about God -- I am saying he should be more humble, because hey, he has not said anything that Sophists 3000 years ago haven't.

Date: September 10, 2012 05:05AM

I also think Flowers just set himself up for being ridiculed. Seriously, you can't tell Richard Dawkins to "do his research" - you know the man has much more rethorical power of appeal to authority than you do. Plus, Flower's response was so childish compared to Dawkins' argument of the BoM language.

If it was me, I'd just have said something of this sort: "I don't want to comment because it is a matter of my faith, which I really can't prove to anyone". Then I'd shut up. Haha

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:28PM

As a TBM, I always labeled atheists with that as well. Communist countries that are pretty much all atheist, USSR, Cuba, N. Korea etc.

Now I'm atheist. What do I have to say to that now? it's not a religion, and they are not me.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 04:04AM

Flowers was attempting to channel Holland. He has obviously not done his own research.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 04:32AM

Now here's the thing.

Mr Flowers is a Musician who, on the face of it, is a believing Mormon. The real question is why can't a believing Mormon provide credible answers to credible questions about their religions beliefs and doctrines?

Holland couldn't do it, Flowers couldn't do it, Missionaries cannot do it, Romney cannot do it...etc.

The issue is that the Mormon religion as a whole gets its collective ass handed to it each and every time it comes under the inquisitive or scholarly spotlight.

Flowers is just a symptom of that lack of credibility and I feel sorry that his Church put him in a position where he couldn't answer sensibly.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 05:51AM

Gotta hurry and get in on this before it closes!!!

Totally not fair.

BF is a 30 something career rocker who may have just come back to more activity (he smoked, drank, all that in perfect young jack Mormon apologetic style, there's many young men like him.) He didn't go on a mission, so I dare say he couldn't even begin to argue the virtues of Mormon faith with any atheist. Don't think he went to college, means he has no hard core philosophy or ethics to back him up. And he's a young famous millionaire. He's completely boring off stage. What a dumbass thinking he could dance with Dawkins.

Dawkins is a career scientist and atheist pundit- none better in the world to lambaste anyone with faith, especially an unlearned, untested, uneducated jack Mormon...

Holy sh*t that was a bad idea.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:22PM

I'm not up on the latest Mo-JackMo gossip, so I didn't realize that Brandon Flowers had returned to the church. And, yes, I feel sorry for him. He was outmanuveured. He should have asked Dawkins to sing lead for the band at their next rehearsal, as payback.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:24PM

stbleaving Wrote:
> He should have asked Dawkins to
> sing lead for the band at their next rehearsal, as
> payback.

Ha! That would have been a very just response.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.