Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 09:41AM

Don't believe the church is true? Then just SAY it's true!

You're really NOT a right-wing homophobic bigot? But you pretend to be so you fit in.

Not all that interested in striking up a friendship with a neighbor but the church says you should fellowship them? So you PRETEND you're their friend and invite them over to a "get-together" (usually with other tbms and the invitee as the only non-tbm).

I'm an EXPERT liar! I KNOW what I'm doing. I learned from the best. So why, when a neighbor invites us over to a "neighborhood" dinner here in our 95% TBM neighborhood, I don't believe it's just for fun??? Why can't I shake the feeling that this is PURELY a fellowshipping scheme dreamed up in a Bishopric meeting last Sunday? I mean, we've lived across the street from this family for 13 years and they've never invited us over for dinner.

Don't get me wrong, we really like this family. They are great neighbors and always friendly. But this is such a obvious attempt at social engineering, promoted and managed by the church. An assignment was made and we got invited. I'm tempted to go anyway just for the joy of letting TBMs know you don't need mormonism to be cool people but, alas, we're busy that night... No, seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 09:42AM by Ihidmyself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 06:01PM

Do a wombat on them...

What does a wombat do at a party?

Eats roots and leaves..

roots being a metaphor for... well, you get it...

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wombat)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 06:03PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: ghost buster ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:48AM

Show up drunk.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:34AM

LMAO! I spit my drink on my screen.

Posted by: xxMoo ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 02:57AM

I can't help picturing all those TBM neighbors sitting awkwardly around the big table laden with food waiting for your non-arrival as the hour grows later and later. "Should we start without them?" LOL.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 03:49AM

Well, at least they aren't shunning you.

You have every reason to be suspicious. Why would you want to go to dinner, where you would feel uncomfortable. If you love these people all that much, ask them to meet you for dinner on neutral territory, such as your favorite local restaurant. Better yet, to to a movie, a game, or event with them, so you will not have to talk.

I admit to being phony, too. We didn't even have to be smart--the Mormons told us what to say and how to act. At BYU, I could be everybody's dream girl, by figuring out what the boys were looking for, then becoming that. I never told lies--I just accentuated my good Mormon traits, and kept the others hidden. I received declarations of love, and a few marriage proposals, and my answer was always, "How can you love me? You don't even know me." My ego suffered, because I was never loved for myself. Even my parents didn't love me. I didn't even know who "myself" was. I guess I was the nutty tomboy bookworm who was in love with my Atheist childhood sweetheart. I could always be real with my non-Mormon friends. I feel ill at ease with Mormons, because I always suspect they have an agenda. I don't think we are paranoid to think so, because it is just our gut reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 04:01AM by forestpal.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 08:02AM

For years we would get invitations to the Ward BBQ every summer. We went the first few years, but it was boring and pointless (and no beer).

Several years ago the invitation came but its was for a 'Neighborhood' BBQ. We got a call a few days later for our RSVP, so I took the opportunity to ask a few questions about this 'neighborhood' BBQ.

"What ward is this for?"

"Oh, it's not a ward function."

"Is the S**** family invited?" (They live right next to us but the ward boundary runs between our houses.)

"Ah....no I don't think they're invited."

"Why not? They live in the neighborhood."

"Ah.....not sure why."

"So, I just need to bring a side dish. Who is providing the hamburgers and hot dogs?"

"Ah.....the bishop."

"So, this really IS a ward BBQ."

"Yeah, I guess so."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 08:55AM

ward boundary between adjoining houses?
that SUX (and, I never heard of that before).

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 09:05AM

The two hours of hostile glares you'd endure would be worth ensuring you never get invited back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.