Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BG ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 07:30PM

The thread someone posted about difficulty in making friends, made me wanted to add a slightly off topic comment. I got a chance to attend a cultural event recently with several former active Mormons. The group was made up of people from different social media groups -exmos, post-mormons, mormon stories, open mormon - who knows. The one thing I have noticed from several similar events when these groups get together is that there tends to be one very verbal person who tends to monopolize the entire conversation with her story and thoughts. Folks who have recently left the church feel like they have this enormous epiphany and don't realize there are people around them that have years in this process and have a lot of wisdom to share with them if they would take a breath, and let other people talk. People who are just finding their way probably aren't sure how to formulate what they want to say. If you are going to get together make sure that the most quiet people in the room get to speak and share their thoughts. Interested to hear thoughts on how to politely tell someone you have just met they are talking too much -- when it's just supposed to be a social event.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Introverthusband ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 07:56PM

Are you the one who had something to add but did not. I am an introvert and do not want to do the talking. If I did I would. Maybe it is low self esteem and not being introverted. Did you want to talk and not speak up or did you sit there feeling angry at the talker? Did you say "I have a story". It can be hard for us introverts but how do you expect any one to know you have some things to share if you never say. My being introvert makes me like smaller groups so you could try to start a conversation with one other person. If you find a way to get people to read your mind tell me bro.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.