Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 10:07AM

I was overwhelmed with the reponses I received to the John Dehlin podcast. I couldn't believe so many of you would listen to nearly 5 hours of the unedited interview.

I just came across this on Youtube. Someone has uploaded the part of the podcast that discusses the Second Anointing in 2 parts - 7 minutes and 14 minutes. So for those of you who thought nearly 5 hours was too long (and I don't blame you) here is a shorter version, just on the Second Anointing :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=703yOcfvD3s&feature=relmfu part 1 7 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNvKP9z5pU&feature=relmfu part 2 14 minutes

Another youtube channel has uploaded it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNvKP9z5pU&playnext=1&list=PL9293F37CFB318161&feature=results_main

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:07AM

I wanted to send some shorter links to some friends. Thanks for letting us know.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:27AM

+

Tom, thank God for your courage!

+

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:36AM

Tom, your interview was scarier than "The Exorcist" because it was real--and it is the greatest fear we all have: that we will lose our families "after all we can do."

I feel so bad for you.

Anagrammy

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:45AM

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:01PM

I agree. When you pay a big price for truth, you value it more. And your life hear means more when you are no longer living for an imaginary better life in the hereafter.

I realized that I was wasting my enjoyment of this life trying to keep good enough not to wreck my eternal family.

Now I suck the marrow out of every day, living fully, even though some of my children do not (or rarely) speak to me.

Glad you are happy.

Anagrammy

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:48AM

What a great example your story has been to people who are in similar situations. Thanks so much for sharing I am sure it is not easy. Love your accent by the way! Beautiful :)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:50AM

I am so glad this is going on youtube Tom.

I listened to the whole five hours twice. It was like a great delicacy for me. Caviar to the beautiful meal that is RFM.

I wish you all the best with your family.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:57AM

Your stories were fascinating -- particularly the one about the polygamists in your stake that you dealt with. Your story describing the Second Anointing was of course very interesting. Also, the devastating reactions by your family, encouraged by Holland.

You had a sort of innocence about your expectations that I also had when I left the Church. I thought that simply presenting the truth as it is would be enough to get my family out. I felt a weight of responsibility! It was all delusion, of course. Nobody in my family listened to me either. I listened to that part of your story and closed my eyes, knowing what was about to happen to you. You were so honest with them, and they rejected you completely. It was hard to hear.

But most of all, you were intelligent and articulate, and you seemed to become more energetic and straight-talking as the interview progressed. I thought you would become tired after that long -- I thought *I* would become tired! Not at all.

Another thing. There is a basic philosophical disagreement between you and John Dehlin that became more and more clear, and you are both very articulate champions of your positions. I enjoyed the debate, though you really cut through Dehlin's arguments at the end. He seemed to panic there.

It was just the most amazing ex-Mormon interview I've ever heard. Thank you!

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:05PM

I did a quick update and added to your Home Page Tom. Still needs work but has everything I have from you.

http://www.mormonthink.com/tomphillips.htm

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.