Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:02PM

When you see a subject line with a question are you even bothering to read the whole post? Or are you jumping straight to answering the question?

Eta: the reason I ask is it seems a lot of people do not read the whole thing. Just curious if is widespread..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 01:16PM by fidget.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:03PM

I didn't see a question, did you put it in the main text?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:04PM

Lmao!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:04PM

I usually read every post. The exceptions would be if it's very long, or has a long article attached to it. I don't always have the time to read 1/2 hour long posts.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 01:15PM

Unless the author decided to abjure punctuation or paragraph breaks. In those cases I move on immediately.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 02:46PM

Of the threads I'm interested in reading, I pour through the responses before I decide to post or not.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 02:50PM

I always read the whole post (unless it's a novella) if it's a topic I'm interested in. And sometimes I comment on one specific item, or on a point made in a reply.

Ron Burr

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 02:53PM

Mia, toto, and I took that to mean, do you read every post within the thread, and yes I do, and am bemused by those who don't.

Others responding here took it as answering a post within a thread,by not even reading that post, let alone the thread.

One flaw I have is when I'm reading the thread, I don't always read the subline of each post, and sometimes that's where the meat is.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 02:54PM

I usually read the entire post along with the responses already given. However my own response may not necessarily be what the OP is looking for.

Posted by: freetimenow ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 02:55PM

You'll get your answer to that by posting something, then after a few people have responded, respond to one of them to make a clarification. You clarification will show that your view/thoughts have morphed and therefore the original question does not reflect your current thinking.

You'll find that quite a few people on any type of forum don't bother to read all the comments to see how the conversation has evolved.

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 02:59PM

Personally, I don't feel comfortable responding to a post unless I've read the whole thing, including the replies. I don't want to make myself look silly :)

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 03:04PM

I read the whole thing first then respond if I think I have something relevant or interesting to say. Sometimes I don't understand and try to respond anyways to learn something new.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 03:12PM

It depends on how much time I've got, I guess.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 05:13PM

If I didn't have the time or interest to read the whole thing, I wouldn't have the time or interest to respond, either. So yeah, if I respond it generally means I've read the whole thing, unless there was a response posted while I was typing.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 06:16PM

I usually read the whole OP if I'm going to respond but if I'm in a big hurry, I don't read every response. Sometimes I'll stop reading half-way through the OP if it turns out to not be something I can answer or isn't that interesting. If I have time, I'll read all the responses but if I see people arguing - or certain posters arguing, I'll drop the subject all together.

Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 06:16PM

I usually assume that a question in the subject line is done intentionally by the author to emphasize a request for it to be answered.

That's what I assumed in your "point of life" post today Fidget. But now that I re-read your post it seems like your main intention was to just share your insight and maybe hear a reaction to it. Either way, thanks for sharing. You put your thoughts very nicely.

But I'll admit I often partially skim long posts with many lengthy paragraphs and then respond to the question in the subject line if there is one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 06:34PM by Brian M.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 10:26PM

I won't comment on a post if I haven't read it through. Hint to posters: please break for paragraphs and put a space between them. It's so much easier for the reader to absorb the text in organized chunks.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: September 29, 2012 10:30PM

I read the original post but not always the replies.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 30, 2012 12:02AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 30, 2012 12:10AM

Sometimes I like the question as asked and not as it turns out to be in the expanded post -- so I answer the subject line (as it were) although I generally read and acknowledge the expanded question.

Sometimes I think other people have answered the question well and either give those answers my approval or respond to a point someone else makes.

Sometimes I have strong feelings about the post and will post my response and then go back and read what everyone else says.

I do generally read the entire original post before commenting on anything, though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.