Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 11:13AM

It would be spectacular if someone really talented painted a large portrait of Joseph with all of his wives (for sake of continuity, let's just leave it at those to whom he is sealed on FamilySearch.com for a start). Perhaps it could be done a la the Last Supper with Emma taking Judas' role (she did, in many ways, betray him RE polygamy after all!).

I think this would be great to post on FB/Pinterest etc. Housewives of Nauvoo, at it were.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 11:15AM

I thought I might be at one time, but then it just ended up that I was a hypochondriac, and that I am just really shy.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 11:15AM

Oh, you said Artistic, never mind what I just said.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 05:02PM

lmfao, you are an idiot :P

Date: October 05, 2012 05:08PM

I'm pretty sure that I saw the dude in that Jesus painting at starbucks the other day..

That said, how many wives are we talkin here? Should they be portrayed as the age at which he married them? Are there any photographs of these wives? Utah scenery or Missouri?

Sorry that I don't know all the details but I do like to paint and draw so I'm interested. Of course this would have to wait until I have private studio time so my husband doesn't see. Although if his mom saw and had a conniption fit I wouldn't mind so much...

Date: October 05, 2012 05:08PM

oops, that post is supposed to go down at the bottom of the list :/

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 11:21AM

I had to google the name and I'm glad I did!

http://www.ldsartshop.com/jesus-the-christ-liz-lemon-swindle

Date: October 05, 2012 11:26AM

Like I said, not artistic, is she?

But seriously, wouldn't more accurate portrayals of Mormon history and beliefs be awesome?

A triptych of the multiple versions of Vision the First.

Moroni's nocturnal visits (I know Liz painted one, but it sucks).

Joseph and all of his wives (no, that isn't his daughter--she's his wife, too!).

Joseph as a Free Mason.

A Second Anointing painting...

September Six portrait.

etc. etc.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 11:44AM

I think Liz Lemon Swindle (interesting name!) actually is an artist. She simply suffers from bad taste and lives in a very small world.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 11:48AM

I am crafty. I have made nativity sets out of star wars characters, pretzels, play doh, dried fruit and plastic aliens.

But I am not artistic. I am also not shocked that Liz Lemon Swindle is a real person. Her skill? Meh. But that name of hers is just crying out for someone to make fun of it and tie it in to the subject matter...

A lemon swindle sounds like a really nasty cocktail. And talk about a swindle! People paid good money to hang that stuff up on their wall.

Posted by: miamaidpres ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 04:13PM

This.Is. Genius.

I can manage a paint brush. Yes. *crazy gene wilder look on my face*

Date: October 05, 2012 04:37PM

Post anything you paint. Please! :)

Posted by: miamaidpres ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 05:11PM

I'll work on some sketches...

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 04:26PM

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 05:00PM

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 04:27PM

When we were still TBM we lived in Liz's ward in Orem and were in some of her photo shoots. The photo shoots were actually quite fun. We all dressed up for Nauvoo days where we ate, rode in wagons, played old-time games, had a dance with fiddles, etc. It was 102 degrees that day.

My 2 children were in photo shoots for Jesus and are in the painting of his triumphal entry. My son was in the shoot of the loaves and fishes.

I truly believed it all then, and did enjoy the photo shoots. Though I no longer believe any of it, I have good memories of the fun times and the close feelings with friends and ward members.

TG

Date: October 05, 2012 04:38PM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've heard some interesting stories about Del P from his kids while I was at BYU...

Glad you have at least some happy memories from the Morg!

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: October 06, 2012 01:17AM

Holy crap, I lived in the same ward as you then. Liz was in our ward too. We went to the ward house on 4th north and 4th east, there on the corner.

Date: October 05, 2012 05:17PM

This criticism was leveled at another LDS artist (John McNaughton--Google his work, b/c his website appears to be down...):

'the painting is “typical propaganda art, drop-dead obvious in message” and “visually dead as a doornail.”'

That is why I say Liz isn't artistic.

To everyone who said that they will give it a go: use your artistic license. I would definitely paint his wives at the age they were when he married them (his age could be indeterminate between his first marriage and last marriage/death).

Fannie needs to be 14, for sure.

I think FamilySearch lists something like 28 or 33 wives. But I would just go with what can be reliably sourced (some sources say upt o 60, but you aren't going to find definitive resources about that...). 33 is plenty enough to raise some eyebrows. :)

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 05, 2012 09:15PM

ya, not the Liz Lemon I was hoping for...what a disappointment :(

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: October 06, 2012 01:14AM

Heh, my father posed as Christ for Liz Lemon Swindle's painting "The Dove." There was one other too, but I can't recall the name. We lived in her ward in Orem, and she saw my father working in the backyard with his shirt off and long hair flowing in the wind. She was "inspired" to include him in two of her paintings as her model of Christ. This was in the early 90's, and if you want to get your hands on the prints, they have to be special ordered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 01:20AM by hard6.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.