Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BadSheep ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:23AM

Yet another post complaining about the TBM reaction to GC on facebook. If you're sick of these, feel free to skip it.

I saw a post on facebook today from a cousin of mine. She was talking about how peaceful she felt and how thankful she was that she got to hear all of the General Confrence talks. Then she invited any of her never-mo friends to watch any/all of the talks if they are curious about her faith. She said "These are the teachings I center my life around." and included a link that I assume was a video of the confrence.

It made me sad. This cousin and I were close growing up. I was close with all of my cousins, but some I genuinely liked as people, not just relations. She was a good friend.

She got pregnant in high school. Our whole family turned against her. Once her pregnancy started showing, her parents stopped letting her come to family gatherings. I rarely saw here again after that. I heard that she wanted to keep the baby, but her parents forbade it unless she married the father. He was a total loser and they forced her to marry him anyway.

She was pretty miserable for the next few years. Hubby couldn't (wouldn't) keep a job, so my cousin had to support the family...and of course, continue to have kids because that is what a good mormon wife does.

She finally got up the courage to leave the loser and was doing much better for a while. It was whispered among our family that she had gone inactive, and I thought, good for her!

She went back to college, got a job, and bought a nice house. Then she met a guy (TBM), got married and went back to church. She even moved to Utah. Now she's posting all this crap on her facebook wall.

It makes me sad. Why doesn't she realize it was the church that made our family turn their backs on her when she needed support. It was the church that pressured her parents into forcing her to get married. It was the church that made her parents so ashamed that she couldn't show her pregnant self out of doors?

I thought of posting a link below hers to mormon think, but I don't want to alienate this cousin too. I've already lost enough family members to the morg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 08:33AM

It may be useful to ask her, what specifically was said at General Conference that constituted Prophecy, Revelation or Seeing...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 10:31AM

It's always sad when they lure someone back in. But it is also surprising when inactives can SEE how badly members are behaving and still thing the gospel itself is true. Maybe it's because they are raised to believe that you don't leave just because the members are offensive that they are willing to look the truth in the face - that Mormonism damages people and makes them worse than average, not better - and not see the truth. But I'm with you. The saddest is when good people are treated badly by the Morg and they still can't believe the church is true as easily as they believe they are the bad ones for not being able to live the so-called true church.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 10:34AM

Everyone feels more rested after getting a catch-up on the Zzzzzzz.

:::rolls eyes:::

Posted by: besmae ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 10:38AM

They are still going strong on my FB wall about how inspired they feel, how peaceful they feel, the gospel this and that, and my favorite, "I can't wait another 6 months!" I need to learn to stay off Facebook after presidential debates and conference time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.