Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ForcedToBeMorg ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 07:49PM

I was saddened to see Marlin K. Jensen given "Emeritus" status on Saturday. In other words, he was sacked for his comment about people leaving the Church "in droves."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonski21 ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 07:52PM

There are a few GA'S who I have meet, that were real, genuine, relatable people.

He was one of them. Guy is one of the good ones.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 09:29PM

a MORmON GA who is a good guy ? sounds like an oxy MORmON to me.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:42PM

Jensen was my stake president. He was absolutely genuine, and a true believer. I think he honestly believed that the "gospel" was strong enough to allow for scrutiny of troublesome doctrine and compassion for the excluded, including gay people. I think he's an example of what happens when you don't shut up and toe the party line

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 07:52PM

I don't think 70's are a life time calling, even presidency of the 70's, so wasn't it expected at some point that he'd be released unless he ever got called to the quorum of the 12?

Although, being a democrat, and perhaps his comments on people leaving in droves, maybe the timing is suspicious? Maybe, maybe not.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 08:21PM

Didn't people on the exmo boards predict his going emeritus very soon after his comments were published?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 08:48PM

Unless, of course, he was sacked.

Posted by: tapir whisperer ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 09:15PM

He wasn't sacked.

It's been standard policy since 1984 to retire First Quorum of Seventy at age 70. Also, Second Quorum of Seventy is a 5 year calling. Only Apostles have a lifetime calling.

Date: October 08, 2012 12:36PM

I was responding to the OP’s assumption that Marlin K. Jensen was sacked and given emeritus status at this Oct. General Conference in consequence of his public comments about people leaving the Church. The presumption is that he would have continued in his position absent such public comments. Given that it is standard policy to retire a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy at the Oct. conference following their 70th birthday, the presumption is wrong.

The timing of the pending changing-of-the-guard is a different discussion. I’ll leave that discussion to the conspiracy theorists.
edent

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:38PM

NOT sacked.

Posted by: a ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 09:31PM

where is the link to MKJ where he said the youth are leaving?

need something KSL-ish that a tbm will read.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 10:45PM

Didn't he just turn 70?

Isn't it standard procedure to put all GAs on emeritus status when turning 70?

Correlation does not equal causation.

Date: October 07, 2012 11:41PM

Members of the First Quorum of the Seventy are retired with emeritus status at the Oct. conference following their 70th birthday. Marlin turned 70 in May of this year. Standard policy.

I stand corrected. I believe it was 1989 when this policy was enacted.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: October 07, 2012 11:48PM

Is it standard to push them out of their responsibilities in January before their October release? The sacking of Marlin Jensen sure did get a lot of press. If this January happenstance is normal then who else did this happen to? If so then where are those news stories?

Date: October 08, 2012 12:38PM

I was responding to the OP’s assumption that Marlin K. Jensen was sacked and given emeritus status at this Oct. General Conference in consequence of his public comments about people leaving the Church. The presumption is that he would have continued in his position absent such public comments. Given that it is standard policy to retire a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy at the Oct. conference following their 70th birthday, the presumption is wrong.

The timing of the pending changing-of-the-guard is a different discussion. I’ll leave that discussion to the conspiracy theorists.

Date: October 08, 2012 12:43PM

I meant to say "The timing of the announcement of the pending changing-of-the-guard is a different discussion". The official changing-of-the-guard occurred in Aug. 1.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:43PM

It is common for those who are ex members to speculate and be suspicious of the happenings surrounding this faith. When you feel as if information was withheld from you and then you find said information out, one tends to lack trust as things are not always as they seem to be or as one thinks they were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 12:44PM by suckafoo.

Date: October 08, 2012 01:16PM

This is true.

However, I believe that when we water down the very many real problems of the church with conjecture, hyperbole, and faulty logic it makes it harder for people to recognize that the LDS church is false.

Silly stuff like this thread and the LDS church is making a killing in profit from the missionary program monthly fee to families just make us look stupid and like we have no legitimate ground to stand on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 01:23PM by bc.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 01:22PM

Just about everything can be traced back to money, power or sex, as someone on here once said. I pretty much agree with that assessment, in general.

It is a coincidence Marlin Jensen would have said people were leaving in droves then be retired; but part of me thinks he said that because he no longer gave a crap since he was retiring anyway.

Date: October 08, 2012 01:30PM

Jensen feeling more able to speak freely about the issue at the end of his tenure may very well make sense.

However, conjecture that Jensen was put on emeritus status at exactly the same age as everyone else for the last 20+ years being because of his comments is clearly wrong.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:45PM

He was a 70 and if my calculations are correct, he'd have turned 70 in approx. 2003, give or take.

Has he been put out to pasture?

Posted by: elohim ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 03:38PM

He was our area president while I was on my mission. During a conference he spoke pretty candidly about how he never wanted to be a General Authority, and that he was glad that they were called the "70s" and not the "80s." A joke that we understood to mean that he was happy that he would be done when he was 70 unless he was called to be an Apostle. I am happy for him.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 04:10PM

Maybe Jensen spoke candidly because he knew his term was about up.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 04:31PM

His wiki bio says he's a democrat too. Whoa! He doesn't engage in group think.

They have to put a lid on him ASAP!

Posted by: khark ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 04:49PM

If any of you question -- look at the wikipedia article about Jensen. His birthday was in 1942 and this year was 2012. Go figure, 70 years is the norm when they get emeritus status.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.