Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whyme ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:28AM

Did anyone else catch this from Holland's talk??

To those who were once with us but have retreated, preferring to pick and choose a few *culture* hors d'oeuvres from the smorgasbord of the restoration and leave the rest of the feast. I say that I fear you face a lot of long nights and empty nets. The call is to come, to stay true, to love god, and lend a hand.

So are they saying we do have to comply with the "culture" aspects of the church now as well?? Notice how he didn't say doctrine!! So what part is the "Culture" part of the church? I’m guessing WOW adherence is definitely one of them!

To me this was a big statement that not many noticed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl not logged in ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:30AM

Maybe he meant the cheeseballs!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:45AM

He he he. You always crack me up.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:40AM

I would like to tell Jeffery Holland who I thought was an excellent college president by the way, that many of us grew up. We don't fear the invisible man. We take charge of our own lives instead of needing a few old church leaders micromanage us. Maybe insecure and imature people need bedtime stories, false hope, and babysitting. We don't and we won't be back because it would be like a PHD going back to kindergarden.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:42AM

I wouldn't call a bunch of horseshit a "feast".

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:59AM

Amen. Horsesh*t with Holland-Daze sauce is still horsesh*t.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 01:28PM

Oh, +10000 for that observation! :)

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 01:35PM

Yuck! Holland-daze sauce. I don't even want to think about it! The things that come out of that guy ...

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:26PM

...or even though it's only half of a sh&t sandwich you still have to eat it.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:47AM

I thought it was aimed at NOMs, those folks who are in the church but not of it. I doubt his words will have any effect because NOMs know as well as we do that there is nothing to Mormonism. It is itself an empty net, and it is not worth losing sleep over a long night for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 11:47AM by runtu.

Posted by: xxy ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 11:53AM

Jeffrey Holland lives not in reality, but in alternative universe

Could you expect anything else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHM7I1WJIk

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:14PM

"This man doesn't seem like a dodo".

You're right, you sound like a kook Holland.

It's astonishing watching the mealy-mouth double speak from a guy who claims he's "read a few books, gone to a good school".

Posted by: Serendipityhappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:06PM

I took this as a shot at all NOMs and cultural mormons.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:26PM

it's all dog and pony show, style over substance— and yes, milk with no meat. My whole life I was told about the wonderful feast Mormonism is but always came away hungry. After years of trying be satisfied with it I'm done.

Perhaps I never was filled though because I never saw the feast for what it was. Remember the movie Hook? The feast Holland talks about like the banquet scene (see video below). In fact Rufio sounds like Holland a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkH-BWS1p-M

Only those who can 'make believe' can feast while those who prefer a more reality based approach see it as just big game. Call me unimaginative but I rather start at realsim and go from there.

In the end too it's ridiculous of Holland to criticize NOM types for being cafeteria Mormons when 1) the Brethren themselves can barely stand behind any given piece of LDS doctrine/teaching these days and 2) they will admit (only when forced to) that they are fallible.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 12:32PM

It was trying to stuff myself with ALL of gospel that nearly drove me to suicide.
The "choosers" actually have an easier time staying active.
You're a "chooser" yourself.

I remember Ash saying it was the people who took the gospel too seriously that tended to have shaken faith syndrome the most.

Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 03:12PM

I like how Holland said that we retreated and we'll bring in empty nets. No, we went away cause the church is a bunch of lies. Is it true he half screamed into the mic?

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 03:24PM

was insinuating that Christ's main concern during his ministry was LOYALTY. Holland was oh-so-not-so-gently trying to hammer in the new LDS doctrine of loyalty and it now apparently is a new prerequisite for entering the kingdom of God.

I actually got the creepy shivers when I heard him say that. Did anyone else catch that?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 03:48PM

Bacteria has more culture than Mormonism.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 04:07PM

Maybe he's talking to people who know the church isn't true and are staying for cultural reasons and maybe he's saying "Run, you lucky b@stards - I'm trapped but there is still time for you to escape. Run, run or you'll be left with empty nets of nothing like I me."

It's a lovely thought but Holland has too much anger inside for me to believe it possible. He's just lashing out at anyone who isn't as whipped as he is, telling them to get in line and take what the church deals out because he has to.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:49PM

It's weird watching him. It seems to me he hates seeing the party go on without him, and is likely haunted by many unfulfilled life dreams separate from his faith. It's sad.

Posted by: January ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:57PM

Would definitely prefer to love God and lend a hand in my new church, thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.