Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 01:24PM

That should make the locker room more fun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 05:14PM

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 05:23PM

Not imaginable. I decided for that very reason that I was not going on a mission (I'm female). I always thought garments were absolutely hideous. My parents sported the one-piecers ... complete with holes and all ...

Marriage wasn't on my high-pri list for that same reason.

The poor boys. :(

I think they'll wait until after HS graduation to do the temple BS. I think most parents will agree that they should finish their diploma first so that shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 05:24PM

Yes, that is a possibility. We had a young man in our ward who was kept back a year in school because he had been in a serious accident during elementary school. He sent his mission papers in, had his call, and went through the temple before graduation. He took my daughter to the senior dance and she said it was weird to think he was wearing garments.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 05:52PM

It's really going to ruin Senior Prom in Utah.

Then there will be all the girls whose boyfriends will be gone. The military at least often let's their guys get leave, if they are not still in training, to take their girls to the Prom. Of course this might have something to do with the value the boys have as a recruiting tool, but still...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 05:53PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 05:48PM

WOW!!!!

Great point! I guess they will have to go through the Masonic/LDS temple.

I was 19. I embraced it, some of my friends were really freaked out. It will be interesting to read stories regarding this topic in a few more months.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 05:52PM

Maybe they will change garment design to something not so obvious.
They did it for the military with color and markings.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:00PM

Quoting Monson: "I am pleased to announce that effective immediately all worthy and able young men who have graduated from high school or its equivalent, regardless of where they live, will have the opportunity of being recommended for missionary service beginning at the age of 18, instead of the age 19."

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/62813/Church-lowers-age-requirement-for-missionary-service.html

Tyson

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:41PM

They only have to wait for graduation actually go on their mission. They can apply a few months before their 18th birthday. The young man from our ward who graduated at 19, had his call, had not graduated, but did go through the through the temple before graduation.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:13PM

When I was 18, I remember so many women who were married to non-member men and they couldn't even go to the temple to be Endowed. All my friends didn't expect to take out their Endowments until they were married in the temple.

I didn't go through until I was 30, figuring I wasn't getting married and I was finally old enough. By then, a single woman could go through on her own. Before that, I felt I was too young.

Things are definitely changing.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:13PM

A sophmore-year roommate of mine at BYU went through the temple at the end of her senior year of HS. She got to do it because her mother and older sister were going through at the same time. However, she was not a model of TBM maturity. Her dating pattern was to pick up a random weirdo on campus, make sure he was an RM, take him on a spiritual-type temple date, bring him to our living room and give him oral pleasure on the couch. She would then cry and threaten to talk to his bishop. The guys had various reactions to this ranging from calling her names to falling in love with her. One of them eventually married her.

We called her the female Rasputin, since she offered sin, redemption and salvation in one package.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:27PM

...maybe you can fill me in. Are they expecting guys to drop out of high school or wait until the summer to go on their mission? (Some guys won't turn 18 until after graduation anyway.) If the latter, then no locker room issues.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:31PM

High school or its equivalent needs to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 06:32PM by jpt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.